Petrol Or Diesel

Woodie106

Now, i realise this is towcar talk, but i don't have a caravan to tow any more so this isn't the usual which car to tow this van thread.

We've pretty much made up our minds that the next car is going to be a Volvo XC90. We both really liked driving the works one we had last year, although that was a bit newer than we can afford. It has 7 seats, which is a must for us. The only decision left is whether to go for the petrol or diesel.

Now i know the diesel will drink less fuel, but they are at a premium when buying. The used 2. 4 diesels are normally anything from £1500 to £2000 dearer for the same spec / year than the 2. 9 petrol v6. Thats an awful lot of fill ups for a car thats only going to average about 6000 miles a year & not tow anything other than my small trailer up to the dump every now & then. Is it really worth the extra & going for the diesel?

Does anyone know if they are more reliable than the petrol or being a volvo are they both pretty bullet proof?

It will be spring time before we can look at changing as there's still a few things i need to sort on the voyager before i can look at parting company with that, so we've got a few months yet.

Any knowledge anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

woodie.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Woodie, I had a 185bhp Diesel auto XC90 from Dec 09 to Dec 13 and it towed our 1900kg TA caravan a treat. 33mpg average solo, 23 when towing.

If you can def go for a facelifted model from 07 onwards (distinguished most easily by indicators in the door mirror housings where earlier model did not). The early T6 which is a 2. 9 petrol straight six suffered from a weak gearbox so definitely would not suggest towing with one of those, the 07 on car was great but a little thirsty - lovely cars though, XC90 is perhaps a little dated but very honest and definitely comfortable and practical. Can I suggest you spend some time looking on www. volvoforums. org. uk, it is a great forum with a dedicated XC90 section (and a towing/caravan section) and would be well worth posting your question on there, you will receive honest replies and plenty of great advice.

Volvovanner (maybe I should change this to VWvanner???)

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Hi Woodie,

I too only do about 6000 miles a year. I faced the same diesel v petrol dilemma when I changed the car. My conclusion was:

Diesel cars - more expensive to buy and service.

The thing that swung it for me was that a lot of diesels now have a "particle filter" which needs de-coking every so often by driving a distance at increased revs. As I'm low mileage & don't do that many long runs I was worried about the filter getting knackered. As they're expensive to replace, my decision was go for petrol.

I don't know if the diesel Volvo's have these filters but it's something to bear in mind.

Edited by RhayaderSax

2007 Bailey Pageant Burgundy S6. 2009 Insignia Elite 2. 0 petrol turbo 4x4 - pulls like a train but guzzles juice!

With approximately just over 100 miles per week I would think that a diesel engined vehicle would rarely get to optimum working conditions.

Last year I was looking at XC90's and Audi Allroads, I was amazed how many were for sale with problems, I'd always regarded Volvo's as bullet proof, from what I saw on eBay, that's not the case and I went for an Allroad. Maybe the newer ones are better, just have a look on eBay and see what's there, it tells you a lot.

On the subject of diesel, I actually prefer the driving characteristics of diesel motors, low down torque, relaxed cruising. The DPF issues you will hear comments like you have to drive round with increased revs etc, the one on my 62 plate Golf you never knew it was there, just occasionally when I happened to stop when it was regenerating the DPF I was aware of more heat coming from under the car. There was a warning light on the dash, if it illuminated (never did for me) the manual said to drive at 40 mph for 10 minutes so no big deal.

Good luck.

Ap

Petrol. ..!

I tried a 2012 - XC90 Executive at my local car supermarket. It looked an immaculate and a capable bit of kit. Plus I liked the look of it, so I thought I would give it a try. The high spec interior with piped leather both looked and felt good, the driving height was impressive too.

My first impression was shattered when I started the 2. 4 litre diesel engine. It had only done 22k miles, but sounded like an old bag of spanners rattling on a 200k mile engine. I couldn’t get on with any car that sounded like a farm yard tractor after clocking up so few miles. Unfortunately it didn’t get any quieter on the test drive.

The engine felt underpowered and the suspension felt rather unstable. I was very surprised that such a small engine was fitted to this large car. To me the test drive just didn’t feel right. It felt front end heavy and poorly balanced. I don’t think the handling would have improved any if one of the larger engine variants had been available.

I would not buy one of these for solo use or towing, but if you are going to buy one it would have to be with one of the bigger petrol engines. I would then add a dual fuel LPG conversion. On your expected solo mileage, (6k) I would expect that to save around £500 per year on fuel, over the cost of using petrol.

My overall impression of the XC90 was a spacious, nicely trimmed great looking car that was let down by its handling, rattling engine and poor sound insulation. I think Volvo really does need to try harder. :(

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

To be honest if you need a full 7 seater for adults or large teenagers then there ain't much choice - either an XC90 or a Discovery. Guess which one I went for.

Land Rover is now back towing.

If you are only doing 6k miles a year then it would be donkeys years before you just break even with the £1. 5k - £2k price premium of a diesel.

Education is important but beer is more importanter.

Trying to find a used XC90 petrol is going to be a challenge.

The configurator on Volvo's website no longer offers petrol as an option. ..so cant compare the new price petrol v diesel.

Trying to find a used XC90 petrol is going to be a challenge.

The configurator on Volvo's website no longer offers petrol as an option. ..so cant compare the new price petrol v diesel.

There was a range of V8 petrol Volvo XC90's in the facelift after '07', these are MUCH better than the T6 IMHO. They are rare as hens teeth though.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi