Connecting A Laptop To A T V

Hello, I'm looking for a bit of advice, please.

I previously connected my old TV to my laptop via a cable I purchased some years ago - see pic below. ..

post-42316-0-05664300-1390392312_thumb.jpg

However my new TV doesn't have this type of connection . .. it seems to have something called HDMI.

So, do I have to purchase a new cable or is there some sort of converter?

And what do I look for? . .. I don't know what the connector with 15 pins is called.

Could someone point me to a possible solution?

TIA, John

15 pin connector is also known as a VGA connector. The laptop VGA output will be analogue.

You can get converter boxes from VGA to digital HDMI but I don't know how good quality they will be. Maplins sell them (but are usually expensive), so do shop around and - if possible - get one demonstrated to you in store with your laptop!

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

HDMI ( Hi Definition Media Interface ) gives much better picture & sound quality than VGA connections. As Rodders53 suggests, visit your local Maplins & explain the problem to them - if they have something that connects the two, it will be cheaper than buying a new laptop.

PS: Assume you have checked your laptop for a HDMI slot ? Looks like a USB slot but thinner with rounded corners at the bottom :)

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Hello, I'm looking for a bit of advice, please.

I previously connected my old TV to my laptop via a cable I purchased some years ago - see pic below. ..

attachicon.gifDSC06016. JPG

However my new TV doesn't have this type of connection . .. it seems to have something called HDMI.

So, do I have to purchase a new cable or is there some sort of converter?

And what do I look for? . .. I don't know what the connector with 15 pins is called.

Could someone point me to a possible solution?

TIA, John

Your connector is a D-Sub VGA connector which only connects the video signal.

The HDMI connects both audio and video in one connector, presumably you connected the audio via a 3. 5mm stereo jack out of the laptop to the audio in on the TV (unless you just played through the laptop or alternative speakers).

You would need an adaptor that took both D-Sub and 3. 5mm stereo audio jack output and converted it to HDMI

Something like THIS

Could it be time for a replacement laptop?

HDMI brings integrated sound so the TV's speakers are driven, and a single lead is less hassle.

It does not have to be an expensive machine today to come with HDMI.

go on utube and type the same question that is on smart

place for information from cars to computers etc

You should check to see, if it's an older laptop, if it maybe has a DVI socket, If so and the laptop is capable of digital output you can get DVI to HDMI leads, although, of course, you will still need the old jack lead for the audio. DTDVISocket.jpg

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Hi, OP here, thanks for the replies so far.

1. Firstly, regards the audio – I’ll continue with the cable I’ve got, no problem.
  2. There is no HDMI socket on the laptop – just 4xUSB, Ethernet, Modem, something yellow and round, & IEEE1394.
  3. No way can I replace the laptop, as it’s only 3 years old and I intend to get a bit more use from it yet! Anyway, there’s no funds available as I’ve just bought a so-called 'Smart' TV which doesn’t do what Sony said it would, i. e. transfer the signal from laptop to TV via WiFi.
  4. Thanks for letting me know it's called a VGA.
  5. As regards the quality of the signal, I’m not to fussed – to be honest I can’t tell the difference between an HD and non-HD picture, even when they’re side-by-side in Curry’s!
  6. I've been on YouTube, but nothing seems to fit my particular circumstances.

So, to sum up … can I just buy one of these to make the connection? Or, can I go VGA to Scart like this?

Thanks, John

Edited by Johnaldo

. s.

So, to sum up can I just buy one of these to make the connection? Or, can I go VGA to Scart like this?

Thanks, John

Simply reading the adverts :

The HDMI advert says is not suitable for PC TV interconnection, and the other cable is not VGA to Scart, it is Scart to VGA, which is the opposite conversion of what you need. Not my field of expertise but those dont seem promising.

Edit: As the SONY does not do what you believe SONY claim then speak to the retailer who under the SOGA needs to either sort you out or refund you; anyway it is his problem to address. I would think any WiFi interconnection is likely to be networked via a router, not simply directly unit to unit.

Edited by JTQ

If your laptop has a composite video output then you should be able to connect this to your television. You say that the laptop has a yellow RCA socket. These are usually used for composite video signals. If you previously used this for your old television then it will be an output rather than input. You can get composite to HDMI converters but they are quite expensive. If your television has a spare Scart input then this would be a cheaper option. You just need a composite to Scart adapter and your old composite lead. The adapters are different, depending on which way you need the conversion to work. However, you can get switchable ones which will work either way such Lindy's (www. lindy. co. uk) part number 35570.

A Sony smart television should be able to take streamed media from your laptop, i. e. movies, photographs and music. However, it will not display the content of the laptop's screen such as the desktop and other Windows applications. To stream multimedia to the television you need to set up your library in Windows Media Player or you could download Sony's own media server, Homestream.

The HDMI advert says is not suitable for PC TV interconnection

Oops, so it does, JTQ . . Does that mean that all such cables are unsuitable?

. . the other cable is not VGA to Scart, it is Scart to VGA, which is the opposite conversion of what you need.

If it were possible to get VGA to Scart, would it work?

As the SONY does not do what you believe SONY claim then speak to the retailer who under the SOGA needs to either sort you out or refund you; anyway it is his problem to address. I would think any WiFi interconnection is likely to be networked via a router, not simply directly unit to unit.

It's the clever way they write it JTQ - "you can stream video from your laptop to the smart TV wirelessly" they say . .. well perhaps you can if you jump through hoops to set it up, eg loading their special software, reconfiguring the router, etc, etc . .. I've been at it for 4 weeks and not managed it yet. I think Sony's definition of "smart" is at odds with the dictionary definition!

If your laptop has a composite video output then you should be able to connect this to your television. You say that the laptop has a yellow RCA socket. These are usually used for composite video signals. If you previously used this for your old television then it will be an output rather than input. You can get composite to HDMI converters but they are quite expensive.

DACS, as I said in Post #1, I previously used a VGA to VGA cable (except I didn't know what it was called at the time!). I've found an on-line manual for my laptop and the yellow thingy is apparently a "S-video/TV out NTSC/PAL port", whatever that means.

If your television has a spare Scart input then this would be a cheaper option. You just need a composite to Scart adapter and your old composite lead. The adapters are different, depending on which way you need the conversion to work. However, you can get switchable ones which will work either way such Lindy's (www. lindy. co. uk) part number 35570.

No spare scart (modern TVs only have one!), but I can get an adaptor to turn one into two. But the switchable adaptor you link to isn't VGA is it? So I'd need a composite lead as well, wouldn't I

A Sony smart television should be able to take streamed media from your laptop, i. e. movies, photographs and music. However, it will not display the content of the laptop's screen such as the desktop and other Windows applications. To stream multimedia to the television you need to set up your library in Windows Media Player or you could download Sony's own media server, Homestream.

Media Player wouldn't work, so I tried Homestream and got photos across, but not videos or streaming from ITV player etc.

My over-riding question is - if I'm not bothered about quality, is there a simple and cheap way of streaming video from my laptop to my TV?

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Oops, so it does, JTQ . . Does that mean that all such cables are unsuitable?

If it were possible to get VGA to Scart, would it work?

John

Can't answer question one re HDMI but think if you can get VGA to Scart then I would expect it to work.

Not my field though, but I do play with these things even though not really understanding the underlying magic.

I have seen this on my local cable suppliers web page; It must be worth checking with the very helpful owner if this will do what you want.

http://www. solentcables. co. uk/cgi-bin/sh000001. pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2esolentcables%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fPro-Series-PC-to-TV-Cable-Kit-10m%2ehtml&WD=vga&PN=VGA-to-HDMI-Converter--2394%2ehtml%23a006241#a006241

Obviously not a low cost option, plus you need to think about the interconnecting cables.

Edited by JTQ

The yellow socket on the TV will supply a PAL TV signal. .. but quality will be dire. You'll probably need to enable the TV out as a second screen on the laptop driver.

What exact model is the Sony TV?

Does it have a set of RCA jack sockets (aka phono socket) inputs on the side or even front ?? a simple phono to phono plus you existing 3. 5mm jack to red/black phono cable should be all you need. If no composite red/black/yellow inputs then as the TV has a SCART input a scart to phono adapter will be required e. g. http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Scart-to-SVHS-3-x-RCA-Phono-Converter-box-TV-Adaptor-/170703556576?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item27beb98fe0 (not a recommendation just one of dozens) NB if the laptop has a multipin socket as on the adapter linked to that is a S-video connector which - if the laptop and TV supports it - would give slightly better quality pictures that composite, but you'd need a s-video to s-video lead. Depending on the other device connected to the scart socket you may be able to use a scart pass-through connection on that device rather than having to switch?

You won't be able to stream your desktop to the TV but Sony Homestream claims it should do any stored avi/mp4/wmv type files. .. the Sony community or AVforums may be better places to hunt out answers though?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I have seen this on my local cable suppliers web page; It must be worth checking with the very helpful owner if this will do what you want.

http://www. solentcables. co. uk/cgi-bin/sh000001. pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2esolentcables%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fPro-Series-PC-to-TV-Cable-Kit-10m%2ehtml&WD=vga&PN=VGA-to-HDMI-Converter--2394%2ehtml%23a006241#a006241

Obviously not a low cost option, plus you need to think about the interconnecting cables.

Sorry JTQ, but the link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Sorry JTQ, but the link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

John

John, as you say it is not working now, sorry, it was when I initially tested it.

The link is to "Solent Cables", then in the top right search box I put in VGA and on the listing that came up as item 11 was a VGA to HMDI Converter, with VAT £40. Their web site is playing silly at the moment, but when working offers a unit that my reading of, seems to do what you require. Phone number if you can't get to the website is 02392662578 (Mon -Sat 09:00 to 17:30)

John