You Don't Want To Do That!

ian dunning

Hi All,

I'm having a moan at some of the 'know it alls,' well meaning though they may be, that we meet on occasions.

In the recent past I have been told that the Safefill LPG cylinder, that we use, is banned in this country, this from a man who carried an LPG cylinder on its side in his car to save noseweight.

I have been informed that I, and everybody else, have needed a towing license since last year even if I passed my test before 1997.

Then I am told by two people that my car should not be towing my van as the van weighs more than the car is permitted to tow.

I am savvy enough to treat such statements with a pinch of salt but some people believe what they are told and with regard to the license statement this upset a couple who thought that they were driving illegally.

I just wish that such people would think about what they are saying as some people can be mislead by such statements,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I've read many a statement on threads on this site where the poster seems that what they think and say is gospel, in many cases folk try to put them right without upsetting them & on occasions some go straight for the jugular, its quite good fun watching some stand their ground despite the bombardment from others who know a little bit more (or think they do)

Yes. Totally agree.

Not such an issue for those who know better but arguably those people have no need of the advice. The newbie hoping to find solid advice on the forum would be well advised to carefully sift through the threads.

This has to be the nature of any forum I guess. I remember one established poster advising us that there are three types of towing mirror available: plain flat, convex and concave!

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing me thinks! But. ..................... having said that there are countless contributions that are not only accurate but serve to draw attention to issues that might ordinarily never be considered. Surely the net outcome of this forum is positive.

I have picked up many tips along the way and am grateful for those who contributed.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Hi Ian. .....surfaced again!

We meet similar things on golf courses. .....like the man who told me I wasn't allowed to touch the grass with my clubs when taking a shot from the rough. .........

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We meet similar things on golf courses. .....like the man who told me I wasn't allowed to touch the grass with my clubs when taking a shot from the rough. .........

geoff

Wonder how he hits the ball then in 2 inches of grass??

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Wonder how he hits the ball then in 2 inches of grass??

Hi Easy T. He picks it up with Spoon-ended tweezers and sit it atop a very long golf tee ;), problem solved and untouched by human hands :rolleyes:

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi Easy T. He picks it up with Spoon-ended tweezers and sit it atop a very long golf tee ;), problem solved and untouched by human hands :rolleyes:

You know him too then?

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi Geof. I have a very very long-time friend that I used to play golf with and he marked the score card with a pencil that was topped with an eraser. His mental arithmetic also left a great deal to be desired.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi All,

I'm having a moan at some of the 'know it alls,' well meaning though they may be, that we meet on occasions.

In the recent past I have been told that the Safefill LPG cylinder, that we use, is banned in this country, this from a man who carried an LPG cylinder on its side in his car to save noseweight.

I have been informed that I, and everybody else, have needed a towing license since last year even if I passed my test before 1997.

Then I am told by two people that my car should not be towing my van as the van weighs more than the car is permitted to tow.

I am savvy enough to treat such statements with a pinch of salt but some people believe what they are told and with regard to the license statement this upset a couple who thought that they were driving illegally.

I just wish that such people would think about what they are saying as some people can be mislead by such statements,

Regards,

Ian.

Did you ever question where they got their info from. ....................it might have been here. ....... :o

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I usually get told it AFTER I've done something I should not of!! Like changing the fuse in a plug then plugging it in before reattaching the back on it. Never moved so fast involuntarily across the kitchen!

I think my Guardian Angel Drinks.

My late father in law would always say when something went wrong was: "What you should have done".

This was rarely 20/20 hindsight as he was often present when the action which subsequently went wrong was being planned but did not contribute at that stage. :rolleyes:

Edited for Ian: He had been a Station Officer in the local Fire Brigade, as it was called in those days.

Edited by DeeTee

I usually get told it AFTER I've done something I should not of!! Like changing the fuse in a plug then plugging it in before reattaching the back on it. Never moved so fast involuntarily across the kitchen!

I got called to a house once where a woman had complained of repeatedly getting an electric shock off of a socket. When i got there I found she'd done the self same thing. There was a plug was in the socket & the back was missing. When i asked where it was she said she'd thrown it away as it was broken. Turns out the fuse had blown in her straighteners & as she didn't have a screw driver she'd used a kitchen knife to lever the plug cover off, changed the fuse, realised she'd broken the cover in levering it off, but plugged it back in anyway!! Unbelievably stupid thing to do. She was getting shocks not when using the straighteners, but when plugging her hair dryer in using the adjacent socket in a twin wall socket . She'd phoned her landlord complaining of getting shocks, not connecting the bare open live terminals in the other plug!!!

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Did you ever question where they got their info from. ....................it might have been here. ....... :o

Too True. I have gleaned a lot of useful information since joining this forum, but also read some very strange bits of advice and scare stories. I hope I have been on long enough to recognise the names of those whose advice is sound, and if it is not a name I recognise then I wait for one that I do.

As for that tale about the plug, Woodie, words fail me. The idiocy of some people really does beggar belief.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

I got called to a house once where a woman had complained of repeatedly getting an electric shock off of a socket. When i got there I found she'd done the self same thing. There was a plug was in the socket & the back was missing. When i asked where it was she said she'd thrown it away as it was broken. Turns out the fuse had blown in her straighteners & as she didn't have a screw driver she'd used a kitchen knife to lever the plug cover off, changed the fuse, realised she'd broken the cover in levering it off, but plugged it back in anyway!! Unbelievably stupid thing to do. She was getting shocks not when using the straighteners, but when plugging her hair dryer in using the adjacent socket in a twin wall socket . She'd phoned her landlord complaining of getting shocks, not connecting the bare open live terminals in the other plug!!!

I must admit, when i did it. .. i have no idea why i did not put the back back on the plug. Simple brain freeze moment as i knew that it needed to be back on. I just plugged it in to see if it would work.

Yess. .. i have managed to do some stupid things in life.

When i changed the drop links on the Galaxy i used to own, the neighbour next door who doesnt like me because im a single parent and own a dog, told me, the same words, " you dont want to do that, take it to a garage. Too difficult a job for you." Oh please. .. ive done jobs on cars ever since i learned to drive. Yup i skinned a knuckle, but i got the job done. Think he was stunned as he meandered out to have a gander, then went back in without saying a word.

Usually, nowadays, if someone says those words to me, i say nothing at all. .. but in my head. .. i am saying plenty ;)

I recall being on a site up north, and having read a lot of advice on here I had a weight gauge.

I was dutifully checking my noseweight with the gauge when a far older man, meandered past.

"Ay son, you dont need worry bout that. Been vanning years and never had problem. Never had bought one."

Quite uninvited and a self defeating statement.

How would you know if you dont have a problem without a weight gauge.

But I respect my elders and smiled, with a trouble free set off on time.

I met a tyre kicker inspecting my rear door mounted spare wheel, "That tyre is illegal you know" was his opening statement, Oh really ? I retorted, he then proceeded to tell me all about the treat wear indicators and how when the tread wore down to them the tyre was illegal, when I asked him if he knew what the minimum allowed tread depth across the tyre was he admitted he didn't know, when I produced tread depth gauge from the boot and showed him that I had a minimum 3 mm across the tyre and that was nearly double the minimum required by law he shuffled off leaving me in peace. Now I know that 3 mm isn't a lot but as Dunlop have stopped making the tyres on my landcruiser, I was holding off buying a new set until all the tyres needed replacing, and I was blowed if I was going to pay the AA full book price for a tyre if I ever needed one replacing because I didn't have a spare.

Hello (Ex) Sooty!

What are you doing posting at 01:34 hours? B)

You are right of course, 'experts' are all around us. One thing to bear in mind; 'Ex' is something that was and 'spurt' is a drip under pressure.

There is a wealth of information on most forums but occasionally some 'keyboard warriors' will try and convince us day is night and black is white. When anybody says to me "You don't want to do it like that" I bring up a mental picture of one of Harry Enfield's characters and just smile.

I'm usually the recipient of such advice, from people who would not know which end of a screwdriver to plug in. .......... :lol:

Regards.

Col

Proud to be a Patriot and CT Ninja
I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

geoff

Hi Geoff,

hopefully this time I might manage to stay surfaced :),

regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hello (Ex) Sooty!

What are you doing posting at 01:34 hours? B)

You are right of course, 'experts' are all around us. One thing to bear in mind; 'Ex' is something that was and 'spurt' is a drip under pressure.

There is a wealth of information on most forums but occasionally some 'keyboard warriors' will try and convince us day is night and black is white. When anybody says to me "You don't want to do it like that" I bring up a mental picture of one of Harry Enfield's characters and just smile.

I'm usually the recipient of such advice, from people who would not know which end of a screwdriver to plug in. .......... :lol:

Regards.

Col

Hi Col,

for reasons to do with health bed is not such a good option these days so i manage on a couple of hours kip. My painting has certainly improved though.

regards,

Ian.

Surely that should be '...not have' ?

Surely that should be '...not have' ?

I think after getting shock a that threw her across the kitchen we can forgive any slight grammatical errors.

I would reply with a witty comment, but my brain is currently in shut down mode after watching my poor 14 year old 6 foot son have an adult back molar yanked out of his mush by the shortest dentist on the planet wielding the biggest pair of mole grips i have ever seen in my life. My son was fine, i nearly hit the floor after going feint. I thought at one point the dentist was going to get a hammer and chisel out!!.

He is now in a fair amount of pain though.

So, until my brain has recovered from its traumatic experience today. .. witty responses are far beyond me.

I would reply with a witty comment, but my brain is currently in shut down mode after watching my poor 14 year old 6 foot son have an adult back molar yanked out of his mush by the shortest dentist on the planet wielding the biggest pair of mole grips i have ever seen in my life. My son was fine, i nearly hit the floor after going feint. I thought at one point the dentist was going to get a hammer and chisel out!!.

He is now in a fair amount of pain though.

So, until my brain has recovered from its traumatic experience today. .. witty responses are far beyond me.

You don't want to do that!

(Whey hey, bang on topic). #8o)

Edited by Guest