American Caravans

silverfoxapparently

The quest continues to find the right van. ...

I stumbled across http://www. americancaravansdirect. com/

Now, thankfully, I have a vehicle with a 2175kgs kerbweight.

Having a look at them and I see I could get a slide out model at the top whack of uk length and width law.

Yes, I know it will have usa appliances. But does anyone have experience of usa appliances (any ex-RV users?).

It says comes with uk voltage adjusters, etc etc.

But so much for so little.

Are the yanks coming to our rescue (again) and could start challenging the uk manufacturers before germany does? Oh, the irony.

Any opinions welcome?

Having just returned from the States after renting a motorhome, I was disappointed by the quality of the workmanship and I doubt whether that of the caravans is any better. Don't get me wrong, it was reliable, but behind the facade, the surfaces were rough and shoddy. The heating worked, too, but it was primitive compared to what we are used to on our side of the Atlantic. The thermostat just turned it either full on or full off, with nothing in between.

MODEL WEIGHT BODY LENGTH UK BASE PRICE

NTFX17 1790 kg 17ft9" £17999

NTFX18 1890 kg 17ft2" £18499

NTFX21 1990 kg 20ft5" £19499

NTFX23 2090 kg 23ft £20999

NT21FBS 2090 kg 22ft6" £24999

NT22FBS 2190 kg 25ft7" £22999

NT22RBK 2290 kg 22ft4" £22699

WD2250BH 2190 kg 23ft £22999

NT23RBS 2490 kg 22ft8" £24499

MODEL WEIGHT BODY LENGTH UK BASE PRICE

NTFX17 1790 kg 17ft9" £17999

NTFX18 1890 kg 17ft2" £18499

NTFX21 1990 kg 20ft5" £19499

NTFX23 2090 kg 23ft £20999

NT21FBS 2090 kg 22ft6" £24999

NT22FBS 2190 kg 25ft7" £22999

NT22RBK 2290 kg 22ft4" £22699

WD2250BH 2190 kg 23ft £22999

NT23RBS 2490 kg 22ft8" £24499

Thanks

Lutz has stated the very thing we found on them in the States. By European standards there is a crude ruggedness to the build and very much so to the out fitting. They need looking at to see if it is something you can live with.

Even Airstreams internally are far from as well constructed as in Europe, but without doubt solid.

Looks like a lot of caravan for the money, but I think they are darned ugly, with the wheels stuck on as an afterthought.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Dont forget that American Travel vans have there axle set a wee bit further BACK so you will need a truck that can cope with the extra weight slapped on the towbar .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Google Kabe caravans and look on their website with google translate

Chose any model and click on the advantage Kabe tab, it shows what they are all about.

The british manufacturers should take this on board,It's should not be just about style.

http://www. kabe. se/se/husvagnar/classic-660-gdl/

Edited by ice

Having rented US motorhomes on several occasions, I agree with Lutz and JTQ. Very heavy and clunky construction and the interiors are not a patch on UK caravans.

I'm always surprised that many things in the USA are so old-fashioned.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Anglo American company sells caravans as well.

On the topic of insulation and build quality remember millions in the States live in RVs and in temperatures of minus 50 in some areas. The furniture is made from solid wood not laminated chip board.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

We owned a motorhome, 34 ft and a triple slide 5th wheel. With American RV;s you pays yer money. ....etc. "Trailers" are bigger and heavier but a slide doesnt add too much extra but gives a shedload more room. decent second hand one around $7-$10k. Bigger fridge and an aircon on the roof, Insulation isnt that hot but we had a little portable electric heater. ...about 8 inches square that worked excellant when cold, the A/C blasted cold whenever we needed that. Quality. .......a tad tacky. Resale would be the bugbear.