Elddis Customer Service

Bwanatwister

I have a 2010 Oddessy and at the first service it was noticed that the furnature was coming away from the side wall but only with a gap of 2-3mm. My service engineer said keep an eye on this. After a further 6 months this had got worse with a gap of 10-12mm, and was happening on both sides . I contacted my dealer and when he viewed the problem said any repair was beyond his workshop facilities, and he talked to Eddis . they after long discussions agreed to take on the problem and after further discussions arranged to collect my caravan and take it back to the factory. They orginally wanted me to take it to the dealer for collection They kept it for 4 weeks and had it towed back to my home. the repair appears to be OK as they have used some of their adhesives from the SOLid programme. Only time will tell.

My point is why does it take almost 12 months to resolve the problem and have to suggest that legal action will have to be made.

I think in the motor industry thing are handled quicker and also spare are available quickly

Edited by Bwanatwister

:welcome: and your post seems to have lost the 'end'.

Do post again giving details. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

• 2 weeks later...

I must say that I can't fault Elddis Customer Services. In my experience of dealing with them, it's difficult to find fault in a department that they don't seem to have !!!

Hi cgh5861, Do not know who you could have spoken to at eddis but my first contact went on materity leave and no one seem to be able to deal with me . After much toing and frowing did finally get action and also a nome of the engineer who was overseeing the repair. He was most helpful and sent me a spare part by return to cover a repair that had not worked. So far the repairs done are fine and we are enjoying the sun shine in Spain with no problems showing up after a years use.

Why oh why are ALL caravan manufacturers reluctant to talk to their ultimate customers and give some service. They have to be threatened with sale of goods act etc. before they do anything

Hi cgh5861, Do not know who you could have spoken to at eddis but my first contact went on materity leave and no one seem to be able to deal with me . After much toing and frowing did finally get action and also a nome of the engineer who was overseeing the repair. He was most helpful and sent me a spare part by return to cover a repair that had not worked. So far the repairs done are fine and we are enjoying the sun shine in Spain with no problems showing up after a years use.

Why oh why are ALL caravan manufacturers reluctant to talk to their ultimate customers and give some service. They have to be threatened with sale of goods act etc. before they do anything

Caravan owners are not the customers of caravan manufacturers, ultimate or otherwise and the SoGa does not apply to the manufacturer. It only applies to the seller. The contract is between the buyer and the seller.

Some years ago one manufacturer famously on this forum declared that caravan owners were not the customers of the manufacturer.

Quote; Why oh why are ALL caravan manufacturers reluctant to talk to their ultimate customers and give some service.

Most manufacturers sell vans to dealers and they sell to the end user. That's why you find the dealer is first port of call.

If you have a fault with a car it is the seller you deal with not the manufacturer direct.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I think the manufacturers need a gentle reminder of exactly how many of "their customers" would still be in business if it wasn't for us. .. simply ignoring the consumer of the product does not make good business sense.

Take Whale for example. .. their customer is the manufacturer (for the most part) and so are one step further away from consumers, yet they are one of the few companies willing to openly communicate with us and deal with our problems. For this they are rewarded with our praise and do not suffer from many negative comments. This is despite the fact that some of their new products (or the installation of them) have suffered with similar teething problems. That's an example of good business sense. .. when the caravan manufacturers will begin to realise this I have no clue :).

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Quote; Why oh why are ALL caravan manufacturers reluctant to talk to their ultimate customers and give some service.

Most manufacturers sell vans to dealers and they sell to the end user. That's why you find the dealer is first port of call.

If you have a fault with a car it is the seller you deal with not the manufacturer direct.

True but the vehicle manufacturer sets dealer standards and if they are not adhered to the effects can be both punitive and financial and eventually lead to the loss of the franchise if standards are not met,

Maybe this is what the caravan industry needs to move forwards?

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

I agree,but what do you do when the dealer follows Manafacturers guide lines regarding warranty claims,but choose to ignore them for months at a time or denies that there is a fault at all. Do you think it's right that the only time you can get a decision from the Manafacturers is to threaten them with SOGA every time .

They have totally denied there is any problems with the Avtex aerial, even though there are numerous complaints about it not working,and the company sending engineers out to certain owners but still denying there is a problem. The heating problem for example,if it wasn't for WhAle intervening, they would of been dragged through the courts I've no doubt about that. Regarding the cracks,we have been told that they have found a resolution to the problem,so much so they have fitted the new part on there 2014 range, well don't you think before they start fitting the part to new vans, get it fitted to the ones that already have been bought. But according to my dealer he knew nothing of it as yet. So what is he to do.

They sadly lack in the communication department, unless it is a fanfare evening were they have no problem talking about there new products .

Swift do!!

When Dometic were Electrolux, years ago, they would send a mobile engineer to your house or campsite if your fridge went wrong. Now you have to return the van to the dealer. In the fridge instructions it says contact Dometic if you have a problem. I did and they said contact your dealer. When I asked them why they put that in their handbook they said it was for countries where they did come out themselves.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Caravan owners are not the customers of caravan manufacturers, ultimate or otherwise and the SoGa does not apply to the manufacturer. It only applies to the seller. The contract is between the buyer and the seller.

Some years ago one manufacturer famously on this forum declared that caravan owners were not the customers of the manufacturer.

Agreed, but, in every other industry that makes big ticket retail products there is a customer support function, all the car manufacturers, zanussi, hotpoint etc. they answer calls, give advice, even negotiate on problems and then direct back to dealers, but essentially, they are there to assist and support their product.

• 1 month later...

I must say that I can't fault Elddis Customer Services. In my experience of dealing with them, it's difficult to find fault in a department that they don't seem to have !!!

Did you manage to make contact, if so do you have an email address?

If all manufacturers carry on building vans that have poorer quality than a decade ago with outer panels that are not fit for purpose they will all soon find out that these so called non- customers could soon put them out of business and the sooner they realiase this the better.

If all manufacturers carry on building vans that have poorer quality than a decade ago with outer panels that are not fit for purpose they will all soon find out that these so called non- customers could soon put them out of business and the sooner they realiase this the better.

I for one don't disagree with you, but!

We see people on here that have owned a brand new caravan from a specific manufacturer that has developed serious problems, for what ever reason they decide to get rid of the caravan and lo and behold go out and buy a brand new caravan from the same manufacturer.

We also see people on here that own one make of caravan, who join in a conversation regarding serious problems with caravans from another manufacturer, they criticise the manufacturer, and then the next thing you know is that they have swapped their caravan and bought one from the same manufacturer the were knocking previous.

Add in to that those that are new to caravaning, that know nothing of the industry and the build quality issues who buy in complete innocence.

It all adds up to the consumer perpetuating the issue, and in my opinion the only way the manufacturers and dealers will sit up and listen, is for everyone in the country to stop buying new and used caravans for 12 months.

I know, in my dreams ;)

We see people on here that have owned a brand new caravan from a specific manufacturer that has developed serious problems, for what ever reason they decide to get rid of the caravan and lo and behold go out and buy a brand new caravan from the same manufacturer. ....

It all adds up to the consumer perpetuating the issue, and in my opinion the only way the manufacturers and dealers will sit up and listen, is for everyone in the country to stop buying new and used caravans for 12 months. I know, in my dreams ;)

Embarrassed to admit I am doing this but they did fix mine, they have modified the replacement and from reading this forum no manufacturer is fault free so I went for the model I liked best after looking at every caravan manufacturer with the layout I wanted :(

I did consider packing in caravanning but I enjoy it too much (been climbing the walls over winter) so I am "perpetuating the issue" with a draft copy of SOGA letter ready on my computer first sign of trouble ;)

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Did you manage to make contact, if so do you have an email address?

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, meaning that the customer services department in my opinion is worse than useless, and it seems pointless that it does exist. An email address or contact details can be found on their website as I do not have it to hand at present. I've also contacted them via phone, post to both the factory address and the directors home addresses which are relatively easy to find out from companies house.

I passed by the factory on the opposite side of the valley (about a mile away) a couple of weeks ago. Would you believe it was the only day I didn't have my rocket launcher with me. :-D

I had reason to contact Elddis Customer Service a couple of weeks ago, our dialogue was via email and their responses were both prompt and helpful. They initially directed me back to my dealer and once I explained why I preferred to deal direct with Elddis they understood and the issue was resolved very quickly and to my satisfaction.

I see numerous posts relating to poor service from Elddis but speaking from my own personal experience I have nothing but praise for them.

Davros

I emailed them and they did not bother to respond.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

I'm glad you have had a good experience with them Davros. Maybe a leopard can change its spots. Hopefully they have taken notice of all of the adverse comments on this and other forums and done something about it. Personally, I doubt it but I would love to be proved wrong.

Their customer service was atrocious back in 2007-2008 when I had a Compass never did get the van sorted traded it a a large loss just to get away from it after 14 months of trying to get problems sorted seems they have not improved in 7 years.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

I had reason to contact Elddis Customer Service a couple of weeks ago, our dialogue was via email and their responses were both prompt and helpful. They initially directed me back to my dealer and once I explained why I preferred to deal direct with Elddis they understood and the issue was resolved very quickly and to my satisfaction.

I see numerous posts relating to poor service from Elddis but speaking from my own personal experience I have nothing but praise for them.

Davros

I agree.

I'm one who has suffered the cracked rear panel on a 2013 caravan (documented on another thread of posts), and Elddis Customer Support have been helpful and have made things happen.

I also have a cracked rear panel amongst a list of other things, but I have not even bothered to contact Elddis. They are simply not interested in my problems and care even less other than their obligations in law, so I see no point in raising my blood pressure because they will not reply. The question that I do have though is if Elddis want everything pushed through the dealerships, why do they bother to have a Customer Care Team? It is like a company having an transport fleet department but no vehicles!

When you are able to pin Elddis down at the NEC they will spin you the whole 9-yards but when it comes to a problem with the product they fall silent. That is fine, let them keep quiet but at least feed back the issues to the dealers. My dealer today tells me that he has not heard of a rear panel failure in the last year since a change of supplier and went on to quote how many hundreds of Elddis vans they shift. There is either some poor communication between Elddis and our dealer or someone it telling porkies.