Do Alutec Vans Get Damp

den123

do the vans get damp at winter with having the wall insulation and roof insulated

No

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Have been to check on our Orion in storage today.

Have had a couple of damp crystal thingys out since we winterized it in mid November or so and they are as dry as a bone.

So the answer is as above,no ( well not in our case anyway I am sure someone will give an opposing view ).

Ian

No obvious damp* but I got an infestation of lacewings - probably through leaving the bathroom window open on the night vent setting whilst stored in the autumn.

Most were in the bathroom but a one shot aircraft insecticide spray has hopefully put paid to them.

*I'll find out at the end of the month when it goes for it's annual service

We went away in ours for Christmas to Cornwall in, at times, very heavy rain and the only damp was when my can of beer sprayed everywhere. Mind you I did drop it getting it out of the fridge.

Mike

The interior of caravan will get damp when standing, especially over winter. Its natural to have moisture in the air and even more so if the interior of the caravan is cold with winter sun hitting down on the caravans exterior, The temperature changes on the walls can cause condensation. :(

There must be moisture in the air of the interior due to some caravans having damp mattresses, with its faulty (if it is faulty) material absorbing the this moisture, :blink:http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/91078-damp-matteress/?do=findComment&comment=980189

This moisture isn't a manufacturing problem, its just a unavoidable natural process, especially if the caravan is left to stand without use. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gaz40

DON'T ASK THAT QUESTION ON HERE!! :ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

YOU GET LESS FOR MURDER!!!!

staying the night in a caravan,what more do we want from life? :rolleyes: apart from 365 days a year off!!!!

DON'T ASK THAT QUESTION ON HERE!! :ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

YOU GET LESS FOR MURDER!!!!

Hello Philavan

Read you've jumped ship. ............Enjoy your new caravan ! :)

ps. .........Nice dog :D

Edited by Gaz40

Hello Philavan

Read you've jumped ship. ............Enjoy your new caravan ! :)

Ps. .........Nice dog :D

chears mate,dog looks nice but a bit of a savage :unsure: (little ratters have your fingers as fast as look at them) got a to good to be true p/x so had to jump ship,only when for a new awning!! :blink: but the women fell in love :wub:

hope you have a great year,take care. phil :D

staying the night in a caravan,what more do we want from life? :rolleyes: apart from 365 days a year off!!!!

Got a bit of condensation on the ceiling in my Valencia 2 during the winter of 2012/2013 which quickly disappeared when I hooked up the mains (the vans in my drive next to the garage) and turned the heating on.

Serviced in Nov 13 and given clean bill of health no damp reported anywhere.

Put the cover on again in Nov, hooked it up and set the heating @ 10C, no condensation or damp cold feeling now and the mattress and soft furnishings remains bone dry to boot.

We just leave the roof light blinds half drawn, all cupboards and locker doors open to allow for air circulation. No problems.

Honda CRV 2. 2 CTDi with a Bailey Unicorn Valencia

There is a world of difference between damp and condensation!

In our case, our ex Alu-tec had damp but no condensation.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I had a Pegasus 524 before my Valencia 2 and I must admit I had more problems with condensation (not damp as it never had any) in this than the V2, perhaps it's because the Unicorn is GRP rather than aluminium.

Any caravan standing will get interior condensation, that's why moisture crystals are sold and bought. There's a big difference between "Damp" and "Condensation" but you'll definitely know when its damp, :o

Edited by Gaz40

Hi, seems to me that the evidence of damp is found at the junction of the walls with the floor. So we get damp in the front lockers or, as in my case under the bed in the back corner. Is it impossible for the floor to be suspended on an Alu-Tec extrusion so that the walls do not butt up. This would stop the joint relying on mastic to keep out water running down the walls.

May have make the floors stronger and that may be a weight issue, but it might also get rid of the wood! Just a thought, but I am not an engineer but it seems to be a flaw it what is otherwise a rigid, clamped box?

Cheers Anorak

Swift Sprite Alpine 4 + Ford Kuga Titanium 2. 0 TDCI 180

On some Alu-tecs there has been a problem with water ingress due to the grab handle leaking. The water tends to run down the inside of the front panel to the floor which tends to rott the floor of the 2x lockers either side over a long period of time if u discovered. You would never know this was happening until you remove the plastic trays. This can be dome by removing the screws in each corner of the tray. The plastic tray will then come out.

there is usally a clear indication of water ingress as the floor will be stained or soft. The repair process for an early sign is pretty simple however you will have to contact a bailey approved engineer to have works completed.

The Tell Tale Sign:-

Have a look on the inside of the lockers near the holding nut for the grab handle. Is they a water mark stain running from the nut to the ridges of the inside front panel?

Hi after first service my 2011 valencia was ok after second service severe damp was found in top nearside lockers,after going back to factory at( baileys leisure)a new awning was fitted so we were told, it was returned with corroded spotlight having got wet from the wet locker the dealer had to order and replace,just about to have third service and noticed water actually dripping from top nearside lockers big puddle on floor luckily we had taken seats out for winter,the factory repair has made things 10 times worse now waiting to go back to factory again at (Baileys leisure) for 6-8 weeks nobody at Baileys seems to care. Alutec never again!!!!!!!!