Building My Own Caravan..... Well Sort Of.

Now before some of you start muttering about straight jackets and paded cells :P, let me explain.

In 2015, SWMBO and myself are taking a 6 week overland trip around eastern Europe and down into Asia Minor and around the Black Sea. Because we are going to be entirely self sufficient we are going to be taking all of our own food, equipment, spares and other supplies with us, as well as our own sleeping quarters. Now we are obviously going to need to take a trailer with us and we were unsure whether to use the trailer for carrying equipment and sleep in the Land Rover, or do it the other way round. Due to the ammount and weight of stuff we are going to need to take with us, around 1500kg, we decided to carry the majority of our equipment and supplies in the Defender, and use the trailer to sleep in and carry our food, water, fuel and cooking equipment. So what I needed was a small, compact caravan that sleeps 2 adults, has a payload of around 500kg, and can be towed for 1000's of miles on poor quality roads, or no roads at all. :blink: It turns out that such a thing is not commercially available unless you are willing to spend the sort of money that estate agents usually deal with. So I have decided to build my own.

The basis of my build is going to be a 1985 ex MOD Sankey Widetrack 3/4 trailer. The trailer has an overall length of 2. 9m a width of 1. 7m a maximimum weight of 1120kg and a payload of 750kg. The budget for the build is £2000 which does not include the trailer, as I already own that. The chassis and running gear of the trailer will be unmodified, the body will be extended upwards and will be fitted with exterior lockers for water, petrol and gas. the food and cooking gear will be carried in the trailer and a folding roof tent will be fitted on top.

I estimate the build will take around 12 months and I will post updates and photo's to show my progress (or lack of)

I wish I had a photo to show you, your idea already existed. LWB land rover with sleeping tent on top and army type trailer combining generator, cooking facility and storage.

I wish I had a photo to show you, your idea already existed. LWB land rover with sleeping tent on top and army type trailer combining generator, cooking facility and storage.

I have seen those types, and that is what I am basing my build on, but as I said, they all tend to be 1 off builds with no one making them commercially. I would have put the roof tent on top of the Landy, but the roof rack wil lbe full of spare wheels and other equipment.

Good luck to you Sir!

Exactly the pioneering and inventive spirit that makes us great.

Handcrafted accommodation, venturing into lands where the map is marked 'Here Be Dragons' and without an army of servants or the contents of the national treasury. :ph34r:

Go for it!

(Photo's will be good)

Regards.

Col

Proud to be a Patriot and CT Ninja
I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

There was one on site here in Mazerrone last week ! it looked a cracking idea, not for the fainthearted or those that like their home comforts, wish I had taken a picture now !!

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

A bit like this then . ...

www. neneoverland. co. uk

they do roof tents, 'expedition trailers' etc.

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

I have seen those types, and that is what I am basing my build on, but as I said, they all tend to be 1 off builds with no one making them commercially. I would have put the roof tent on top of the Landy, but the roof rack wil lbe full of spare wheels and other equipment.

The one I seen was self build.

How about this http://www. disco3. co. uk/forum/topic47201. html?highlight=sankey B)

Or let somone else do all the work - http://www. disco3. co. uk/forum/topic94308. html?highlight=sankey :D

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

I used to tow with a defender turbo diesel,great fun.

I once camped in Brittany and my neighbour willy from Germany was obsessed with my landy.

if ever he was needing a chuckle he would wriggle under my car and giggle at the construction.

He worked for opel and couldn't believe the brits made cars like mine.

The defender was a G reg and I know it is still on the road in the Gloucester area, bet his opel is now a baked bean tin.

Good luck with build, Some comfy seats might be a good investment, I towed from Manchester to Dordogne in one hit in mine and my bum was numb for two days.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

A few years ago a friend of ours needed a trailer that would take upto 2 ton in weight for his motorcycles and kit, including a 500kg water tank. he was strugling to find a trailer to suit his needs that had sides and roof ( box type ). He hit on the idea of a Horse box, bought one for £500 re-furbed the whole thing opened the 'v' front out to match the sides built in all the cupboards and cabinets he needed, it looked the business when he had finished, cost him £1000 to do. He eventually sold it to a fellow motorcyclist for £2000 two years later.

This is my option when traveling elsewhere and being a crew cab i can fit a fare amount of kit into .

post-50503-0-57742100-1390342185_thumb.jpg

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

You may be interested in a self build motorhome forum site that is the Self Build Motorcaravanners Club which is something like www. sbmmc,co. uk.

Originally I bought an Elddis Wisp (my username!) and a Sprinter chassis to mount the van on.

Never completed but the forum was full of advice for self-builders.

Best of luck!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

If you want to keep your trailer just as that, you cold use this big daddy to sleep in

http://www. rooftentslimited. com/ROOF-TOP-TENTS/roof-tent-rt03-product. html