Olympus Roof Interior Bubbles

RobJS

Hello all,

I've noticed that the front interior roof section of my van is showing bubbles on the inside. You can push them so there're is air behind them. Now, it's very much cosmetic but how would the problem here be fixed?

The van is going in for its first service soon. I have a list of things which need looking at:

Toilet door warped

Wardrobe door warped(been replaced once already)

Toilet flush button cover lifting

Fridge door not shutting flush and fouling the catch.

One of the drum brakes is faulty. It jammed on in France but I didn't notice this as the van was towing nicely down a windy mountain road. When I looked back in the mirror, there was a cloud of white smoke. I suspect that the brake is knackered but will get it looked at.

I've broken the jockey wheel. Not intentionally. I just underestimated how high the speed bumps are in France. The wheel grounded 3 times. I couldn't stop on the stretch of road so had grin and bear it. That a simple job though.

I am guessing that the doors warping may have been down to the very high heat in the van last year whilst in the south of France. None of the issues to be looked at are show stoppers but as the van is going in, I will get them all looked at

I would be interested on your opinions regarding the interior roof bubbles and how this could be fixed. I was thinking that a tiny hole in each with glue injected may solve this?

Rob

post-38246-0-79017700-1390291810_thumb.jpg

post-38246-0-53701100-1390291843_thumb.jpg

Caravanless. ...

We had this problem in our 2012 Valencia. We noticed it the first day we picked it up, it went back to bailey for about 4 weeks. I have no idea what they did but the bubbles had gone and have never reappeared. I'm sure I have read others having this problem too so maybe the dealers have a fix now. It was clearly a problem that Bailey wanted to sort out. Hope you get it sorted.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I suspect that they were there (albeit smaller) on collection but have definitely grown. They seem to have stopped growing in size and aren't that noticeable unless you have the lights on inside at night. They then tend to show up quite a bit. I wouldn't mind getting it sorted but if it's a massive job, I don't think I will bother. My series 1 Olympus had a strip which crossed the width of the van just where the roof begins to curve at the top. The series 2 doesn't have this and these bubbles have appeared, I think there could be a link but I would be interested to know why they have appeared.

Good to know I am not alone!

Rob

Caravanless. ...

Do look rather evenly spaced!

I have seen similar on a friends caravan, also an olympus

looks like some form of delamination

My guess is some form of delamination as that is where there are cuts across the foam to allow the roof to bend during installation. I have a series 2 Olympus 530/4 which doesn't show this problem but did have a new roof fitted by Bailey12 months ago for a different problem.

I would get the dealer to fix it under warranty. If they haven't got a fix I'm sure that Bailey will have, or want to find out more about it.

Edited by firkle

Our Series2 Olympus has the raised strip that goes across the roof at the front but it's clearly just where two parts join underneath and I don't consider it a fault. I think there is another one somewhere else but we haven't got the two bubbles like you

Why don't you just find out what the fix is and then decide if it's worth the bother of getting the work done?

Sometimes messing about with things that don't matter to you can result in other problems - unless the bumps increase in size, you might just want to leave things as they are

I would be interested to hear what you decide to do

Best wishes

I share your view. Actually, the outer skin was damaged in a hail storm in France last year. I started a claim to replace the roof on insurance but decided not to bother because I didn't fancy them ripping the van apart. I think I will see what they say when I take it in. If it's an easy fix then I will probably let them do it. If it's not then I think I will end up living with it.

Caravanless. ...

If they don't bother you then I would not have them repaired. Probably worth checking they are just cosmetic though.

We have a Pegasus GT65 which showed bubbles on the curved front panel. We noticed them on our first outing. It took 4 months before it went back to the factory for repair, they kept it for 8 weeks and the state of the units on its return was really bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Little update. Service agent wasn't surprised to see it. He said that he has seen a lot worse. The for isn't stuck down at this point because if the cuts behind the panel so I said that as long as there isn't an underlying fault, I'm not bothered about repairing it. The van had its first service today. 27 faults identified! I must admit I was surprised but then again, the service agent is meticulous. One of the faults was a slightly loose curtain track. They went through the van with a fine toothcombe, removed and refitted fridge door too! The only slightly disconcerting thing is that lots of screws needed tightening. I hope that this was because of the bloke in the factory not tightening them and that they won't need tightening every year. A wardrobe door is now on order from Italy. Once it's fitted, I will collect the van and I am all set or my continental summer trip in June.

The happiest bit. ... No damp! Yippee!

Edited by RobJS

Caravanless. ...

Overall a good result, Rob. Somehow I missed this thread (in Egypt) so wasn't aware of the internal problems. We used to have problems on our Pegasus with some screws working loose all the time. I thought it was down to the alutech construction and the screws not gripping properly in the walls.

Lost count of the number of times we tightened one particular one by the entrance door!

Our van goes in on 26th, but we're hoping to get away in it next week for a few days first so that we can see if anything needs reporting. Fingers crossed for a damp-free report like yours.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Bertie never needed tightening but Then again I never took Bertie on suck long touring expeditions. I am really happy, not that they picked up 27 faults, but because 100% of it is cosmetic tweaking. I was a little worried about the hub after the brake sticking in France and smoking coming from the hub but they said no damage was done and a good clean out has made it as good as new. When Bertie had his first service, she had some damp but Ollie is as dry as the Sahara .

Fingers crossed for yours, I have every faith in coachman construction! I haven't told you have I, not only has my uncle bought a new volvo, he has now bought the same van as you have!

Caravanless. ...

We haven't had any bubbling rob, but haven't looked recently as its in storage for the winter. Glad you're all sorted now for the season, and good that the service centre were meticulous as it sets your mind at ease

Edited by milkymarsh

They found things I've never noticed were wrong and I am super picky!

Caravanless. ...

I think I would go for using a syringe with a needle big enough to handle the thickness of the glue, then inject it and support the lining until it sets. It would bother me if it was only cosmetic. ..Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

We've got the loose curtain track too on our 2013 Olympus - in fact it's come away from the ceiling at the front. We cannot tighten screws as they will not bite but I'll get the dealer to reposition them at the van's first service. We have had a few very minor faults like this but nothing to worry about so far.

Rob - one thing we have noticed is in the bathroom, between the door and the loo, under the floor covering there's a deepish indentation. It's sort of like a rounded rectangle, as though a bit of the floor has been drilled out for a bolt. There's nothing under the van though and I wondered if you had this in your van? You only notice it if you are wiping the floor or if you know where it is, you can just see it at an angle from above - it's about one and a half inches long.

They told me that they added extra screws so that's probably what they will do with yours. I'm currently working away so the van is staying safe at the service agent, when it comes back, I'll check the floor in the bathroom and let you know. I haven't noticed anything but in any case, will let you know. :-)

Caravanless. ...

They told me that they added extra screws so that's probably what they will do with yours. I'm currently working away so the van is staying safe at the service agent, when it comes back, I'll check the floor in the bathroom and let you know. I haven't noticed anything but in any case, will let you know. :-)

Thanks

We've got the loose curtain track too on our 2013 Olympus - in fact it's come away from the ceiling at the front. We cannot tighten screws as they will not bite but I'll get the dealer to reposition them at the van's first service. We have had a few very minor faults like this but nothing to worry about so far.

Rob - one thing we have noticed is in the bathroom, between the door and the loo, under the floor covering there's a deepish indentation. It's sort of like a rounded rectangle, as though a bit of the floor has been drilled out for a bolt. There's nothing under the van though and I wondered if you had this in your van? You only notice it if you are wiping the floor or if you know where it is, you can just see it at an angle from above - it's about one and a half inches long.

We've got that! Was told its nothing to worry about. Then again, most things van related you do have to worry about!!

Katie, what model have you got, is it the same as Milkymarsh? (540/5)?

Caravanless. ...

we had same on our pegasus after it had new roof / front fitted. the original was fine . bailey reckoned it could be repaired easily and they would send someone to our home address to do it.

we flogged it before that happened

ex-alutech :angry: owner - now rehabilitated and happy :)

Rob - thanks for the info about your van, mine (540/5) goes in for first service in a couple of weeks, so will visit it this week to start getting it ready - I'll check for bubbles at the front as well. My summer trip to France is all booked and paid for - even got my spending money put aside in the french bank account, nothing to do but wait for the departure date now - and book a few long weekends away in the west country before hand. Small donation put on the site for your cycle trip - good luck.

Milky - you all sorted for France this year??

Richard

Rob - thanks for the info about your van, mine (540/5) goes in for first service in a couple of weeks, so will visit it this week to start getting it ready - I'll check for bubbles at the front as well. My summer trip to France is all booked and paid for - even got my spending money put aside in the french bank account, nothing to do but wait for the departure date now - and book a few long weekends away in the west country before hand. Small donation put on the site for your cycle trip - good luck.

Milky - you all sorted for France this year??

Richard

All sorted here Richard. Not got anything yet, but its technically sorted!!

You're all much more organised than me! That's all I can say. I've nothing planned between now and June and my June break will most likely be finish work on the Friday, prepare on the Saturday and off I go on the Sunday! I need to find some time from somewhere. I'm sure someone is stealing time from me. Days seem to morph into weeks . ..into months! I can't believe we are almost the end of few already!

Richard, no probs about the heads up and a bit thank you for the donation. Fundraising has stalled so I need to pull my fingers out on that one too. I don't want to ram it down people's throats though. .. It's getting a fine balance!

Rob

Caravanless. ...

Rob - if it makes you feel any better, my prep work for France involves booking the tickets for ferry and campsite. That's it! Nothing else done on my part. ..