4X4 With Roof Bars

Halohodge

Thinking of changing from car to 4x4 but I need ones with roof bars, any suggestions, cant afford Range Rovers, with a tow bar weight in excess of 85kg, price range £10,000 to £12000.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

Shogun 2007 + . Will tow anything, complete with roof rails. You will need your caravan steps to load a roof box or fit bikes. Beware of car park height restrictions, its easy to forget.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

All Sorentos have roof bars.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

SsangYong Rexton?

Tow bar 100Kg

Roof bars as standard

2. 7 sxi is full 4x4

2005 low mileage can be around £5 k mark

Basically a ML merc under the skin with the same toys

What good taste you have. .....

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Santa Fe?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd and Overland?

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

56 Plate shogun warrior with towbar /sat nav etc, full leather on e-bay 59k miles £11995. Ideal.

I just paid 11500. For an 08 with Mr36k on the clock . ....

Shogun SWB, Adria Isonzo +Dwt Paradies 280 . ... 78% match. Pitchin next to you sometime. ..!!!!

Jeep Grand Cherokee. That money should get you a low mileage last shape overland which has roof bars as standard plus all the toys.

If you got a limited it has roof rails which you can attach roof bars too.

I ran an 07 GC limited for 5 years and 90000 miles with no issues.

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

Nice suggestions but most are hefty beast, I was looking at something a bit smaller to also use as a normal vehicle when not vanning, ie rest of year.

Nice suggestions but most are hefty beast, I was looking at something a bit smaller to also use as a normal vehicle when not vanning, ie rest of year.

Freelander2. Often has roof rails!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Thanks for info, something to consider.

I have a Volvo XC90 with the requisite roof bars. The car miss a great tow car, pulls our 1440 kg vasn like its not there.

What are you going to use the roof bars for? We use ours to carry 4 bikes, and to be honest its hard going getting them all up on the roof. For those who are more mature, this could be awkward and difficult.

If its bikes, I would probably look towards an estate car with a 4x4 option, XC70, Audi, VW Passat etc.

I lost my balance last year and took a dive complete with bike. Fortunately I was OK, I was as a bit embarrassed but that was it. Had I been older I may have picked up an injury.

We have s econd car which is a Ford Mondeo and getting the bikes on that is as lot easier!

M

Renault Koleos.

Like a Nissan Xtrail only with a better interior and much cheaper.

My previous car was a 2wd Koleos and it was a great towcar. 100kg noseweight and pulled our 1475kg van with ease. Mpg was around 32mpg when towing.

Bailey GT65 Ancona Following Vauxhall Antara

Toyota Landcruiser has roof bars. ...

Sure does. 100Kg max load on them too! And 130Kg hitch limit. Early ones are getting down to the OP's budget too.

They do cost a bit more to fuel, but overall, my landcruiser has cost less to run than the Mondeo that preceeded it - mostly due to fairly priced servicing, and that its not had a thing go wrong with it over the last 7 years.

Helped by the fact I only do a moderate annual mileage, so the fuel is only a smallish part of the overall equation.

Edited by A11

My previous car was a 2wd Koleos and it was a great towcar. 100kg noseweight and pulled our 1475kg van with ease. Mpg was around 32mpg when towing.

We've just swapped the Alfa for a top-spec one (Koleos). Agree that it tows very well (so did the Alfa, but it didn't have 4wd which limited us in getting the 'van out of the field where we store given recent weather).

Overall it offers all the benefits of other 4wd (weight, traction, view etc) in a very car like package. The 175 bhp engine is very nice, it's a bit different from the herd and is very well priced second hand. Be interested to hear how you think the Antara compares (sorry if this seems like going off-topic, but surely the Antara is in the OP's running too?!)