Unicorn 2 Internal Roof Wood Effect Trim Problem

Bigfam

The wood effect ceiling trim around the large lounge window and rooflight onour U2 Valencia is begining to 'bubble' and come away from the GRP internal lining. Our dealer has told us this is a known problem and Bailey have changed how they fix this trim on the 2014 models but they are still waiting for Bailey to give them the technical instructions about how to replace the existing trim.

I would be interested to hear if anyone on this forum is or has experienced the same problem and if you have had it repaired. If so, how was it done?

I had exactly the same problem in our Cadiz, it started to bubble late August of last year and we took it in to the dealer late September to be repaired with a list of other warranty work, sorry I am unable to advise you how the work was carried out but when we visited the caravan the other day, we checked the repair,and so far no further problems are visible.

I had exactly the same problem in our Cadiz, it started to bubble late August of last year and we took it in to the dealer late September to be repaired with a list of other warranty work, sorry I am unable to advise you how the work was carried out but when we visited the caravan the other day, we checked the repair,and so far no further problems are visible.

Thanks for your response. Out of interest, have you used your cent heating since the ceiling repair? I ask because my dealer thinks this bubbling happens when the interior heats up because the thermal expansion rates of the wood effect trim and the GRP skin are different. He seems to think Bailey are now riveting this trim onto the ceilings.

Just been and checked mine, nothing showing at present. Had other warranty work done that could have been avoided with better quality control at the factory.

Thanks for the warning I'll keep my eye on it.

2013 model Valencia

Thanks for your response. Out of interest, have you used your cent heating since the ceiling repair? I ask because my dealer thinks this bubbling happens when the interior heats up because the thermal expansion rates of the wood effect trim and the GRP skin are different. He seems to think Bailey are now riveting this trim onto the ceilings.[/quote

No, we've not used the caravan since the repair was carried out by the dealer, hence the central heating has not been on. We certainly would not allow any riveting to be carried out to rectify this problem, if it was repaired in this way, how far apart would the rivets be. ..I think this would spoil the look. Have you seen a 2014 unicorn 2, and have they used rivets?

Ian

I was at a local Bailey dealer a couple of weeks back - just about one of each new U2 on show (outside) and just about every one of them had the wood grain effect material very noticeably coming away along the side to the rear of the roof light. The material was too rigid to push back - maybe too cold.

I doubt that any of them have ever had the heating on and I don't know if they were MY13 or 14.

just in case anyone was confused, I own a Buccaneer as well which is mentioned in the profile. It's suffering from the dent/crack syndrome.

The above post is referring to the Valencia, incidentally I have had the heating on for several weeks as a trial and still no issues with the wood effect trim.

There is currently a rework being worked on by Bailey and a replacement being manufactured for any affected models. This should be happening in the next couple of weeks. Anyone encountering this problem should notify their supplying dealer for a warranty claim to be submitted.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

I was at a local Bailey dealer a couple of weeks back - just about one of each new U2 on show (outside) and just about every one of them had the wood grain effect material very noticeably coming away along the side to the rear of the roof light. The material was too rigid to push back - maybe too cold.

I doubt that any of them have ever had the heating on and I don't know if they were MY13 or 14.

Same problem that was evident on dealers' demo 'vans back in February 2013 when we first started looking around.

Not much has changed then?

2019 Adria Adora Thames

There is currently a rework being worked on by Bailey and a replacement being manufactured for any affected models. This should be happening in the next couple of weeks. Anyone encountering this problem should notify their supplying dealer for a warranty claim to be submitted.

Thank you for pointing us in the right direction, this imformation will come in useful if the problem arises again on our Cadiz. ....cheers.

My wife and I own a new PegasusGT65 Genoa and we have the problem with the wood laminate on the ceiling. It has bubbled and lifted on the edges perhaps it is the heating, it seemed ok before we used the whale system in December. However we contacted our local dealer Chipping Sodbury Caravans and they ordered a new part from Bailey which arrived quickly but with some doubts expressed that the same problem might arise again. We were informed that Baily are having a better designed and much thinner one made and fitted to all caravans that need them. Looks like we may have to wait for a few weeks but that's OK. Met a family in Bristol today with a GT65 Verona and guess what same problem. So if the laminate in your caravan starts to lift, bubble or crack go back to the dealer who sold you the caravan and ask for a warranty replacement.

John Eadington

Our cadiz has the same problem and is currenty at bailey having some warranty work done. Hopefully they will fit the new wood effect and solve the problem. Ours started to lift efore we used the heating back in august, almist as soon as we started to use it.

heres hoping

kev

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

Why does it take so long to solve a small problem?

I reported this issue shortly after these U2 were arriving at dealers for delivery, my dealer told me at the time that they had returned vans with this problem, issue started during PDI soon after the heating was tested.

Had mine done twice. ..... When service is due February it's to be done for the third time.

nissan xtrail tekna 173 . ....SERIES 2 UNICORN VALENCIA 2013

Thanks for your response. Out of interest, have you used your cent heating since the ceiling repair? I ask because my dealer thinks this bubbling happens when the interior heats up because the thermal expansion rates of the wood effect trim and the GRP skin are different. He seems to think Bailey are now riveting this trim onto the ceilings.

I have had a problem on the ceiling, the GRP just to the side of the wood trim over the o/s front window has de-laminated producing a bubble about 8" in dia just above the shelf. I also think it was the heating that assisted this to happen as it became noticable after the first time the heating was run. It is most likely the laminates are expanding at different rates, but that said, if the initial bond (glue) is good, this shouldn't happen. Our dealer wouldn't touch it so it ended up going back to Bailey, but the repair appears good and the heating was well used over the New Year.

Our cadiz has the same problem and is currenty at bailey having some warranty work done. Hopefully they will fit the new wood effect and solve the problem. Ours started to lift efore we used the heating back in august, almist as soon as we started to use it.

heres hoping

kev

That'll come back with new 'eyebrows'... replaced under warranty ;)

And they will be off as soon as I get it home lol

That'll come back with new 'eyebrows'... replaced under warranty ;)

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

Just got back from a trip with the Unicorn U2 Valencia we had like 5 days above 40c and 1 day @ 46c as you can guess from that the roof and windows got very hot, and I have no delamination a round the ceiling lights, could it be the vans are built different for Australia or maybe that we have a very low humidity, like there will be no damp in the van any were.

We have had our S2 Valencia for twelve months now and for the first ten months used the van for at least a week a month. No problems with the veneer.

However circumstances have prevented us using the van during December and January so it has been sitting, cold, in storage.

Visited the van today and guess what, the veneer is bubbling and coming away from the ceiling !

Just phoned the Dealer and he has added this to the list of items to be attended to when it goes in for service next week.

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

this was reported early on last year my Valencia was glued back as it came away. since then have had no problem

Thanks for your response. Out of interest, have you used your cent heating since the ceiling repair? I ask because my dealer thinks this bubbling happens when the interior heats up because the thermal expansion rates of the wood effect trim and the GRP skin are different. He seems to think Bailey are now riveting this trim onto the ceilings.[/quote

No, we've not used the caravan since the repair was carried out by the dealer, hence the central heating has not been on. We certainly would not allow any riveting to be carried out to rectify this problem, if it was repaired in this way, how far apart would the rivets be. ..I think this would spoil the look. Have you seen a 2014 unicorn 2, and have they used rivets?

Ian

I had my wood effect veneer which was lifting where the roof curves either side of the picture window replaced during the service in late Nov, the dealer didn't use rivets as far as I can see.

I picked up my caravan in November 2012 and used throughout the winter of 2012 with the heating on full wack with no sign of the veneer lifting, I only noticed it around about late Sept last year so I suspect it's not the heating that's causing the lifting/bubbling.

I leave the heating on set at 10C throughout the winter when the caravans in my drive not being used, but I have had the heating on high since it was replaced and it's fine.

We have just completed our first modification with the new part and the result is very good. Takes approx 3hrs to complete. Certainly won't bubble again.

Edited by Reads

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

We have just completed our first modification with the new part and the result is very good. Takes approx 3hrs to complete. Certainly won't bubble again.

get ready to do mine when I bring my Valencia for it first service in March.