Whale Aquasource Mains Water Hook Up

jemkay

After a break of about 8 years we are putting our caravan on a seasonal pitch, each pitch has its own water supply. Can we fit the WHALE AQUASOURCE MAINS WATER HOOK UP to our 2004 Abbey GTS Vogue bypassing the water barrel. Does it connect directly to the water inlet.

If this brings mains water pressure inside your van, then I suggest NO - in case you get a leak and a flood. Bring the mains to the Aquaroll and it will automatically be filled as you use the water. Without any full pressure in the van.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

It does NOT bring mains pressure water into the van.

The unit regulates the pressure to a maximum of 1. 8 bar.

See

http://www. whalepumps. com/rv/product. aspx?Category_ID=10009&Product_ID=11&FriendlyID=Aquasource-Mains

It comes with only 7. 5 m of hose which probably won't reach the tap. Get an extension.

Having said that I have one but don't use it because I know someone who had a flood.

If you can check every joint & check it for leaks as you first plug it in, then it is worth considering, I can't see every joint, so I don't.

David

Swizz

I use mine with an extension hose connected directly to inlet and have had no problems - I turn the site tap off when we go out just to be safe :)

Beats lugging bottles around B)

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

I have a hose connection to a float valve in my Aqua roll,

the pump only runs on demand, not with a pressure fall switch.

that certainly beats bottles!

I plug mine directly to the site tap switch on full and use it all the time, if you take the connector out of the caravan no water come out of the end, it only sends water through when you use it.

A lot of research goes into making theses and they are expensive so I have used one for years with no problem whatsoever, why lug a barrel of water about if you do not have to.

When we travel we only stop overnight and getting the barrel out is a pain we have just done five nights on the trot at different camp sites, in europe of course.

I plug mine directly to the site tap switch on full and use it all the time, if you take the connector out of the caravan no water come out of the end, it only sends water through when you use it.

A lot of research goes into making theses and they are expensive so I have used one for years with no problem whatsoever, why lug a barrel of water about if you do not have to.

When we travel we only stop overnight and getting the barrel out is a pain we have just done five nights on the trot at different camp sites, in europe of course.

The trouble I found is that there is not always an individually allocated tap.

I do carry a multi-branch manifold, but some wardens / campers do not like it.

There is another thread displaying the strife available to persons connecting a hose. 😰 see

. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/90914-feel-like-cutting-the-end-of-his-hose-off/

David

Edited by Swizz

Swizz

Thanks everyone - so what do we need to get fill the water barrel up automatically.

Thanks everyone - so what do we need to get fill the water barrel up automatically.

hi there

if you google aquaroll mains adaptor you will find what you need.

phil

The trouble I found is that there is not always an individually allocated tap.

I do carry a multi-branch manifold, but some wardens / campers do not like it.

There is another thread displaying the strife available to persons connecting a hose. see

. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/90914-feel-like-cutting-the-end-of-his-hose-off/

David

Crikey, don't wake that lot up on the other thread, it's a veritable tap police lynch mob! Edited by sleepyfolk

Crikey, don't wake that lot up on the other thread, it's a veritable tap police lynch mob!

i did make a couple of comments on that other thread, but i did have a few to drink over the weekend, so might have taken it a bit to far in my expanation, hows your hose pipe :o:lol::lol::lol::lol:

phil

I use mine with an extension hose connected directly to inlet and have had no problems - I turn the site tap off when we go out just to be safe :)

Beats lugging bottles around B)

Same here Muddy. It does say in the instructions to turn tap off when you go out.

i did make a couple of comments on that other thread, but i did have a few to drink over the weekend, so might have taken it a bit to far in my expanation, hows your hose pipe :o:lol::lol::lol::lol:

phil

Some ***** has chopped it up into little pieces, put a piece of wood in the end of it, left it on the floor, came round to the van and insulted me, tipped fairy liquid in my aquaroll - all very hilarious!!

If you don't know what we are on about check out the 140 post thread about tap hogging - unbelievable, I would say some people need to get out more but apparently they do!

Some ****** has chopped it up into little pieces, put a piece of wood in the end of it, left it on the floor, came round to the van and insulted me, tipped fairy liquid in my aquaroll - all very hilarious!!

If you don't know what we are on about check out the 140 post thread about tap hogging - unbelievable, I would say some people need to get out more but apparently they do!

tap hogging??? no you need to read it again, if you have paid for a serviced pitch then you should have water, electric and waste disposal when you want it, not have to ask neighbour to unplug his hose pipe when you need it, the site's i have been to all serviced or super pitches you always have your own power points, water stand pipe & waste disposal, (but that is our choise of pitch) i know it cost more but thats our choise, i would not welcome people comimg to our paid for pitch and taking something that i have paid for, that like going into tesco or asda and doing your shopping then comming out and prople taking your shopping out of your trolley, and saying that ok you pay for it and i am ok to take it as i shop in the same place as you,

(i dont think so)

phil

The risk with Whale's system is that it is not "fail safe". If the pressure reducing valve fails then the van's system is subjected to whatever the mains water pressure can reach or any value up to where a van component fails.

Where reducers are used in similar systems where the consequences of failure are severe we always integrate a relief directly down stream of a regulator. Here I expect it is up to the van owner to balance the convenience of using this system with the cost to do it properly, the risk involved and the cost and hassle of an in caravan major leak.

Unfortunately the failure mode of these valves is to fail "open", which could be as simple as a bit of dirt debris coming along the supply pipe.

Personally, I value my van high enough, and the risk high enough not to use the direct system.

I wonder what an insurance companies view would be where the use had not been declared? If they looked for an expert opinion on it, they would not be paying out.

Unfortunately the failure mode of these valves is to fail "open", which could be as simple as a bit of dirt debris coming along the supply pipe.

Personally, I value my van high enough, and the risk high enough not to use the direct system.

I wonder what an insurance companies view would be where the use had not been declared? If they looked for an expert opinion on it, they would not be paying out.

Do you mean 'could be' as in 'if a piece of dirt got in it would cause the valve to fail' OR as in 'I wonder if a piece of dirt could cause it to fail'?

Sam :beardy:

Do you mean 'could be' as in 'if a piece of dirt got in it would cause the valve to fail' OR as in 'I wonder if a piece of dirt could cause it to fail'?

If a particle of dirt, fibre, etc. got across the valve seat, then the valve would not seal. Even the slightest weep across the valve into a closed down system will start building up pressure, only mitigated by the compliance of pipes etc to lengthen the time for the pressure to build up.

As I said a simple reducer is not a "fail safe" arrangement, it is a "fail critical" unless it has a relief valve directly after the reducer that will relieve any valve leak harmlessly away. The relief valve itself being "fail safe" in that any leak across it then causes no consequential damage.

If the debris passed through the reducer it would not cause an issue, but this being a reducer it features a restriction which is typically where such debris is more likely to be arrested and cause failure.

If a particle of dirt, fibre, etc. got across the valve seat, then the valve would not seal. Even the slightest weep across the valve into a closed down system will start building up pressure, only mitigated by the compliance of pipes etc to lengthen the time for the pressure to build up.

As I said a simple reducer is not a "fail safe" arrangement, it is a "fail critical" unless it has a relief valve directly after the reducer that will relieve any valve leak harmlessly away. The relief valve itself being "fail safe" in that any leak across it then causes no consequential damage.

If the debris passed through the reducer it would not cause an issue, but this being a reducer it features a restriction which is typically where such debris is more likely to be arrested and cause failure.

Thanks - would you be more comfortable if there were an in-line filter before the valve?

Thanks Phil, found plenty on the internet that's just what we are looking for will get one ordered.

Thanks - would you be more comfortable if there were an in-line filter before the valve?

More comfortable, but in no way comfortable enough to even give it one single moment's consideration.

To me the van's value let alone the hassle of a major water is far too high to consider an unrelieved direct water supply.

The float in the Aquaroll where there is a natural relief function from mains pressure is infinitely safer if more clobber. Failing that integrate a relief valve would be my advice.

More comfortable, but in no way comfortable enough to even give it one single moment's consideration.

To me the van's value let alone the hassle of a major water is far too high to consider an unrelieved direct water supply.

The float in the Aquaroll where there is a natural relief function from mains pressure is infinitely safer if more clobber. Failing that integrate a relief valve would be my advice.

There is a case for a much smaller drum, perhaps five to ten litres to house the float valve, if individual taps become generally available. The usual drums are 30 or 40 litres.

David

Swizz

There is a case for a much smaller drum, perhaps five to ten litres to house the float valve, if individual taps become generally available. The usual drums are 30 or 40 litres.

David

David

Often given thought to that myself. It could even be collapsible and just 'hang' on the skirt rail but of sufficient length to touch the ground - just needs sufficient quantity for the very rare occasion when pump pressure exceeds mains pressure.

Edited by SamD

David

Often given thought to that myself. It could even be collapsible and just 'hang' on the skirt rail but of sufficient length to touch the ground - just needs sufficient quantity for the very rare occasion

when pump pressure exceeds mains pressure.

Hi Sam,

Did you mean to say "when pump FLOW exceeds mains FLOW. ?

If that happened we could forget showering.

David

Swizz