Novice

Sbunn25

Hi I am an absolute novice to caravanning. We have just paid for a seasonal pitch for 2014 and have a hundred and one things were not sure about. So any info would be welcome. Our main question is what base to put down in the awning ? It will be on pebbles so we want to make it comfortable to walk on and get it as even as possible. Also my husband thinks I am been fussy but I don't want to cook much in the van so any suggestions for what to cook on in awning will be welcome. Has anyone used a halogen cooker ? Like I say any tips welcome.

Thanks Stella

Hi Stella . .... :welcome: to the best Caravan Forum . .... in the world . .....

. .... plenty of good advice . .... to follow . ...

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

But!!..........no cooking in the awning! Outside

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

I use a Remoska from Lakeland as an oven. Its so good I even use it at home for a lot of things rather then putting my big oven on. Whatever you do don't barbecue in the awning as there have been several terrible accidents doing that.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

:welcome:

If your wanting to cook in the awning then you can use an electric oven of some kind, but the use of a gas appliance is a big no no.

Dave

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

We met a couple on a site with the halogen oven and they said they would not be without it. .If your awning is on gravel put some old carpet down as an underlay to stop damage to your groundsheet

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

Thanks everyone. We go camping so I know gas and BBQs are a no no. We BBQ when camping but as we intend to spend a lot of time at the caravan thought we would like other meals. Halogen oven looking good. If not Pot Noodles all round lol.

Halogen ovens are good and I've got one but I've just bought a Breville Halo, £69 you can cook the most amazing chips in a spray of oil, roasters, beautiful chicken portions, steaks, bacon, also scones, and last weekend made lovely korma in it.

I did think it was the same as the Actifry until a friend informed me when you take paddle out it leaves hole, so your curry, etc would be running away lol.

We Nodoubt will take it to the caravan. On the plus side no nasty smells of frying etc.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I've got another question for all you experts. We have just been to check on our van and I'm worried about the cushions they feel really cold I'm worried about them getting damp. Would you advise bringing them home ? Or do you think they will be ok ?

Thanks Stella