Caravanning And Fuel Consumption

Mike&deb

Just out of curiosity I was wandering what the owners of older cars were getting fuel economy wise when towing.

When we are in the position to be able to change car some figures of older cars consumption would be useful.

Unfortunately we are not in the position of upgrading car at present due to lack of finances, But in the last 3 years we had a MK1 Mondeo estate 1. 8 and that used to manage around 20 to the gallon, then a MK3 Mondeo 1. 8 HB again around the 20 mark, now we have a Vectra estate 2. 2 and get around 15.

All of these figures point to petrol cars being dreadful guzzlers when towing.

What OLDER car do you have, petrol or diesel, and what sort of consumption do you get

Petrol engines are rubbish for towing unless you have a big one with lots of torque.

It depends what you mean by "OLDER" but with my nearly eight years old XTrail 2. 2 DCi I get around 40 mpg solo and about 30 mpg towing - if that helps?

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Thanks, unfortunately by older I mean probably over 10 years :(, but the XTrail is a lovely car if only I could afford one :unsure:

Edited by Mike&deb

Try having a look at the older Merc E320's cracking straight 6 diesel engine and as they are electronic fuel injection (the E300 is the old mechanical type) they are pretty good on fuel. Avaliable as a saloon or estate so lots room.

We have a seven year old Volvo S60 saloon car [2006] diesel and all we use it for generally is towing the caravan.

The car is in excellent shape and very comfortable --

we generally tow about 5000 - 6000 miles a year with ~1500 non towing.

Our Average fuel consumption taking towing and solo into account is combined 53 Mpg

and when towing this unfortunately drops to about 49 Mpg.

We also have a Renault Magan [2005] which is the "runabout car" this is also diesel and is 1500 cc we do not pay road tax as the emissions are only 119. on this car we get a very good solo 58 mpg regularly -- all monitored and checked but no towing.

These are measured very accurately as all the miles and fuel are logged since we had the car.

Both nice cars and do exactly as we want. . and cost very little to run.

S60 insurance = £37. 43 p/m + £190 road tax

Magan Insurance = £28. 35 p/m + £0 road tax.

Our insurance is a two driver either car policy -- just us two can drive.

Maurice

Edited by MauriceH

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

We are towing with a 2004 VW Passat Highline estate, The 130bhp model.

It returns 50mpg on a solo run

About 35mpg solo around the doors

Towing, about 30 -35mpg on a run.

You can drive it economically but when needed it has plenty of go in it.

Smashing car, would recommend one to you ;)

Some People have the best of everything, others make the best of everything they have

I used to tow an Elddis Avante 534 with a 2002 Passat 130 tdi se it did about 47mpg solo and about 33 towing.

Of course the car was almost new at the time. not sure how an 11 year old one would drive,it might be better!!

I thought the Passat was a brilliant towcar, plenty of torque and supercomfy.

It always took a panning in roadtests for it's handling but in the 96k I covered not once did I have to take it on a race track!!

I now have a super efficient 2012 car with stop start, regenerative braking low drag,lightweight everything and with all these improvements fitted it does about 47 mpg solo and about 30 towing!! :D

Edited by thesecretcaravanner

15 year old Mazda Bongo which returns around 23mpg solo driving locally (which is 90 per cent of our driving), and about 26mpg solo on motorways.

Towing, it's about 20mpg for the hundred miles from here to the motorway, then 23mpg on the motorway. Best we got was 26mpg on an empty French motorway!! The caravan has a MTPLM of 1470kg (from memory) and it's not far off that when it's loaded for a proper holiday.

Edited by alison01326

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

My Citroen Xsara Picasso 1. 6 HDi averages 61. 8 mpg solo and 38 mpg towing the Orion.

A cheap car to buy, as my 2009 model is only worth about £1500 now :(

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

In 25 years of caravanning I've only towed once with a diesel. All other cars have been petrol and on average they had about 50% increase in fuel consumption when towing. With larger 4x4's the difference wasn't quite as great because they were bad enough in the first place. The smaller the towcar, the bigger the difference.

2006 C-Max 2. 0Tdci, 45ish solo (50 if you are careful). 33 when towing 1400kg

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Our Average fuel consumption taking towing and solo into account is combined 53 Mpg

and when towing this unfortunately drops to about 49 Mpg.

Cor that's only about an 8% increase in consumption when towing! ;)

My vehicles have usually shown an increase of between 40% - 50% when towing over what I can get/have got on solo runs.

Suppose it depends on what you are towing though.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Are you sure you actually hooked the caravan up ? !!!

Hmm.

53 plate Sorento, 32 solo, 20-22 towing :-(

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

D - Max gives me 28 towing my TA.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

2013 Vauxhall Antara 2. 2d, 33 solo (35 on a steady run) 24 towing, it really is that bad, at the dealers the day I mentioned about poor mpg, "yeah, that's what everyone complains about with these," went to it this morning, took 15min to defrost . ......... the inside.

Worst vehicle I've ever had, but it tows well and its comfortable, its the wife's company car so stuck with it for another 26 months.

Previous car, 2010 Mondeo, 46mpg solo, 32 towing, very good and loved the heated windscreen

Phil

Edited by Phil O

I've got a 2002 Volvo V70 T5 and the average is saying 23. 9mpg, but it's mainly used on short journeys round town. When on the motorway it'll do 40-45mpg at 75ish, and when towing drops to around 20-25 depending on road. But the benefit is that i've got a lot of power and can pretty much tell it's not on the back.

My straight 6 BMW diesel turbo averaged 40 plus MPG combined towing and touring.

You can pick up this E34 model for under £1000!!!

Complete with leather interior electric sun roof electric seats air con and alloy wheels.

Mine was clocked when I bought it it did about 100000 miles with me probably 250000 in total.

Towed to the Med and toured europe with it.

It cost me £2500.

Lots of dedicated BMW owners with extensive knowledge on the BMW forums.

If you D-I-Y your cars this oldster is D-I-Y able with a few cheap special tools EG maintenance warning lights reset tool £30.

Don't tow with it often, maybe once in the past 3 years but my 1956 Land Rover 3. 5 V8 did around 18mpg when towing. Normally it does around 15mpg solo I must have driven slower when towing!

I have to laugh at some of the figures quoted whenever this subject crops up.

People with the same make and model can quote 20mpg difference in averages.

What, where, how and when you drive (not to mention what you tow) has a huge impact on 'averages'.

Most people with family sized caravans and tugs to match get in the 20s. Petrol lower than diesel, automatics lower than manual, 4x4 lower than single axle.

What's more important is how many miles you will tow. Because in the grand scale of things it may not amount to a significant amount of difference whether it's a 22mpg manual petrol tug or a 26mpg auto diesel tug when other running costs are considered.

I just quote MPG based on the on board computer.

My Picasso 7 seater 2 litre diesel averaged 43 MPG over 60000 towing/driving miles.

Similarly my present 21/2 year old Ford Galaxy has averaged between 41 and now 43 MPG over 50000 miles.

My Volvo 850 5 cylinder 230 BHP machine was mega fun to drive.

Cost £4000

£3500 in petrol PER ANNUM.

Did 240 miles on a £70 tank of fuel.

A rich mans car :D .

I gave it up after 3 years.

I see it regularly it is as immaculate now as it was several years ago :)

My straight 6 BMW diesel turbo averaged 40 plus MPG combined towing and touring.

You can pick up this E34 model for under £1000!!!

Complete with leather interior electric sun roof electric seats air con and alloy wheels.

Mine was clocked when I bought it it did about 100000 miles with me probably 250000 in total.

Towed to the Med and toured europe with it.

It cost me £2500.

Lots of dedicated BMW owners with extensive knowledge on the BMW forums.

If you D-I-Y your cars this oldster is D-I-Y able with a few cheap special tools EG maintenance warning lights reset tool £30.

Never considered BMW, but this is the sort of car I would be looking at, price plays a big part, (A very BIG part)