Trouble Connecting My Gas Up

sampvt

I suffer from arthritis and I am right handed, useless with the left. Every time I have to change a cylinder I have a big problem screwing in the brass thread, my fingers are not that mobile. the depth of the thread is ridiculously long when I eventually get it going. Has anyone got any tips on an easier way to get these dam things connected without changing to the blue gas connectors.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

Possibly not the best idea, but you could swap to either the BP LITE bottles, or calor gas patio gas, both use push on regulators :-)

Edited by Mike&deb

You can get a propane conector that is fitted with a hand wheel, I have one on my van now and it saves having to use the spanner anymore to change bottle. You will find plenty on eBay and probably on a lot of caravan spares web sites, I purchased mine from Perthshire Caravans when I popped in for a new Status booster.

Edited by MrOmori

Insignia 2.0 SRi pulling a Series 6 Bailey Pageant Vendee gallery_23796_434_10025.jpg

Hi,

Strange - i have been looking at them on fleabay, found one with the big wheel connector 450mm long at £15. 95. would sugest a mesuring of present gas hose before ordering, regarding your complaint -you have my sympathy being a member of that "club" have you tried rose hip capsules ?

david

Edited by david 1220

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Ive found loads on e bay but they are all those 47mm wheels and not that big. I will keep searching for a bigger wheel as that sound like the best idea. Thanks guys unless someone finds a big wheel version, lol.

I have tried the hand wheels on my dads camper, the best appear to be made by Gaslow IMHO. However, I must say that by far the easiest way would be to use the 27mm push fit FloGas Gas-Light type fitting.

Try this place --> http://www. gasproducts. co. uk/acatalog/Caravan_Gas_Equipment. html

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I have the same problem, I am right handed, but that hand has seized up. I was using Calor Light and my dealer fitted a thumb wheel pig tail that I found I could use with my left hand. No need for a spanner. Last year I changed to BP now Mac Gas Light available from Homebase. This has a push on fitting, but they are all difficult when your hands don't wont to perform.

Keep caravanning.

Tell me if this will work. My friend is an x gas fitter and he has a big gas cylinder at home and refills my 7kg cylinders for £11, hence the reason for not wanting to change to butane. With that in mind I think this might work, please try to visualise this explanation.

In my bulkhead I have a gas copper pipe that goes into the floor of the van, or wherever it disappears to. It has a gas flexi hose attached to it with the regulator on the end, which is what I connect to the cylinder. If I cut this pipe just above the copper leaving some flexi hose to leave enough hose to connect a regulator and then I can connect a pigtail flexi connector to the regulator and the other end has one of those black wheels that screw straight into the canister. This negates all the messing with the regulator and the screw so close together.

Will this work.

Sam, you will need to check on the legal requirements for yourself, but I believe that you can fit a bulkhead regulator on your caravan. The regulator has to be mounted higher than the outlet of your gas bottle and I personally would forget about leaving the flexi hose and just get the pipe extended with copper piping.

The downside to your plan is that bulkhead regulators appear to have a high failure rate and are more expensive than bottle mount regulators, but at the end of the day I assume ability to use is probably more important to you rather than cost to use, that said I have so far had no problems with my regulator.

Edited by MrOmori

Insignia 2.0 SRi pulling a Series 6 Bailey Pageant Vendee gallery_23796_434_10025.jpg

Capacity :

1. 5 kg/hr (71 250 Btu/hr)

Max. inlet pressure :

16 bar

Operating pressure :

37 mbar.

To EN 12864:2001. Nozzle accepts 8 mm (5/16") bore hose.

Part No. Description Unit Price Qty

15163 POL (Hand Wheel Nut) x Hose Nozzle, propane £3. 12

This may be what you need, but it is always best to get a profeshenal to make any alterations to your caravan gas system .

Olympic caravan services.
Approved mobile workshop covering wrexham northwales shropshire and west cheshire.

mob 07827738671 land line 01978 710 943

www.olympiccaravanservices.com    enquiries@olympiccaravanservices.com

Probably not legal but if you are filling these yourself with propane, can you not fill a butane bottle with propane and use a push on fitting??