February Site Near Caen

Looking for a good site close to Caen for two nights early February.

We have the 08:30 sailing so need to be able to leave early.

But what if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?

I think both Les Puepliers not far from the ferry and Des Capuccines at Ranville are open all year. Both are geared up for ferry traffic at odd hours

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

We use the Caen Ferry each year and always stay at Camping Les Pommiers at Ouistreham, as it is so near the port. They stay open late at night to cater for those arriving on the ferry that docks at 9. 45pm and open the security barriers in the mornings at 7am. They have tightened up their security over the past couple of years and a code is needed to get in and out of the site now. The French police are often seen these days, driving around the site late at night or sitting in the office checking up on things. There is a footpath that leads to the canal via a gate and this too now has security locks.

It may be worth ringing or emailing to find out if they are open when you are due to arrive as opening dates are shown as February to December on here: UKCS/sites/reviews. asp?revid=3858

You will see that the reviews have changed significantly for the better since they have made everything more secure and kept out the local yobbos.

Lunar Clubman 475EK towed by Vauxhall Zafira Design 1. 9Cdti 150

You will see that the reviews have changed significantly for the better since they have made everything more secure and kept out the local yobbos.

We've been using Les Pommiers for 6 years or so and never noticed any problems with yobbos (local or not). Imitation British squaddies with bagpipes at 8 am is another matter!

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

We've been using Les Pommiers for 6 years or so and never noticed any problems with yobbos (local or not). Imitation British squaddies with bagpipes at 8 am is another matter!

We have never had problems with yobbos but we always go off season. However, some of the reviews on here and on other forums show that local youths were a problem a few years back, during summer months.

Lunar Clubman 475EK towed by Vauxhall Zafira Design 1. 9Cdti 150

I have never been seriously troubled there either not even when there was a large organised camp of young folks but last year another caravanner seemed to have been annoyed at the occupants of a small tent (as it always is) and "forgot" not to set his alarm when he drove off at 6:45.

Getting back to the OP I dont think they are open then but its worth checking

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

If I'm translating their website correctly Les Pommiers, Oustreham opens on Mon 3rd Feb.

We've used it a couple of times in low season and been able to leave the outfit hooked up across 2 pitches without any problem.

Edited by kiaman

We sailed to Caen from the UK last week and stopped right on the docks, there was also a car park a few hundred yards away that I could have stopped on. I could have stopped for 72 hours with no problem. I was not alone there were others stopping the night also. I believe the toilet block / office was open all night as well.

At this time of the year there are no campsites open anyway

At this time of the year there are no campsites open anyway

I believe Camping les Capucines - admittedly over Pegasus bridge - is open all year.

Les Pommiers is open from the 14th Feb, according to a website! It was closed last week. ..Ouistreham has a town square car park, which is difficult to get into with a van, and about 50m further on some easier parking. The ferry port is 150m on from there, and has some parking on the right.

Alternatively, you might be able to park overnight in the car park on the left, outside the ferry terminal, but 1/3 of it is closed for "refurbishment" at the moment so there's little space.