Mortified

bob1982

Hi all.

Nearly ready to take the family caravanning for the first time. Did all my research got everything nearly there and cannot believe I have found a slight damp patch.

I am really annoyed with myself as I did my research but looks like I have still been caught out.

it is in the bottom rear corner and is about the size of a fist. The rest of the wall and the rest of the van is bone dry so I am hoping I have caught this early and it can be stopped or fixed. Put a damp meter on and its defo there. Slight sponge to the wall and if I push on the wall enough dribbles come out of the holes where the damp meter went in.

it does seem very slight but I have read that damp kills vans dead and thats the end of it. If this is the case I would be mortified. I dont want to have let the family down and I wonder if anyone can offer any crumbs of comfort or suggestions.

hopefully the dealer will fix it as part of the warranty we had (3months). It is a 1997 van so not expecting perfection but I am beating myself up over this.

any thoughts :-(

Edited by bob1982

Hi all.

Nearly ready to take the family caravanning for the first time. Did all my research got everything nearly there and cannot believe I have found a slight damp patch.

I am really annoyed with myself as I did my research but looks like I have still been caught out.

it is in the bottom rear corner and is about the size of a fist. The rest of the wall and the rest of the van is bone dry so I am hoping I have caught this early and it can be stopped or fixed. Put a damp meter on and its defo there. Slight sponge to the wall and if I push on the wall enough dribbles come out of the holes where the damp meter went in.

it does seem very slight but I have read that damp kills vans dead and thats the end of it. If this is the case I would be mortified. I dont want to have let the family down and I wonder if anyone can offer any crumbs of comfort or suggestions.

hopefully the dealer will fix it as part of the warranty we had (3months). It is a 1997 van so not expecting perfection but I am beating myself up over this.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, if a fault is identified within the first 6 months (ignore the 3 month warranty they offered, it cannot take away your Statutory Rights) the dealer has to prove the fault was not present when you bought the caravan.

It is called "Reverse Burden of Proof", after 6 months it is down to you to prove it was faulty when you bought it.

Take it back and tell him so!

Hi bob1982

You might find the dealer may not repair under the 3 month warranty they have gave with the van, as it might only include the fridge, cooker, boiler, and the mechanics of the caravan. But if that is the only damp patch you have, and if it is as small as a fist i would get it repaired asap before it spreads.

Dont let it put you off using van until you do though.

Happy caravanning.

Olympus. ... :)

Lunar Lexon 640 matched to an Antara 2. 2 163 Exclusive.

Any ideas what a repair mite involve? Its a small fist sized area at the back bottom corner. ... the rest of the walls are solid and dry. Any ideas how quickly this could spead? Am I gunna get any use out of the van?

Hopefully some sort of repair is possible either under warantee or for not a huge cost. ... ewwwww.

It sounds like its coming from the lower part of the awning rail so it does not sound to serious. If the floors ok that's a big plus, its important to find where its coming from. if your dealer does not fix it then come back with make of van and a couple of photos, the damp area and an outside picture of that corner for further help. its not to difficult to fix in that area.

Not its unlikely to spread, cheap to fix try not to worry as its fixable!

Edited by brilock1

Hi all.

Hi Bob. What make and model is the caravan?

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Thanks brilock. .... fingers crossed the place I bought it from will come good. I do trust them so I am sure it will be k as long as it can be repaired. ... a lot on my shoulders coz dun wanna let the kids down. ... being a parent eh?

Pulled the carpet up near the affected area and that seems fine. Had a look outside but cant work put where it mite b comin from.

To answer the other question is a 1997 crown regent by elddis.

Edited by bob1982

What is in the area of the patch internally. Is it exposed wallboard or inside a locker?

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Is it a warranty from a warranty co. Or a dealer warranty.

We bought our stellar in august, went away in October and it poured down. Water was literally running onto the kitchen prep area.

Dealer repaired the rear offside quarter of the van, replacing all the interior panels etc. all under warranty. Now it's as dry as a bone.

Hopefully you can get yours repaired if you want to.

Fingers crossed. ... its with the place I bought it off and I do trust them no problems so far so it will just come down to what they say. If not I hope its not too costly.

Sorry to repeat myself but you have legal rights that the dealer has to comply with.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, if a fault is identified within the first 6 months (ignore the 3 month warranty they offered, it cannot take away your Statutory Rights) the dealer has to prove the fault was not present when you bought the caravan.

It is called "Reverse Burden of Proof", after 6 months it is down to you to prove it was faulty when you bought it.

Take it back and tell him so!

As said it sounds like a leak from the awnings rail . A awning rail will leak at the top and the water will run down inside the walls with no traces and appear as a damp patch at the bottom so the whole awning rail should be removed and resealed to do the job correct .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Thanks commander dave. .... is there anything I can look for externally or internally that would give this away?

The place I bought it off seemed happy to deal today so I think it will all be ok. ... but just wonder if there are any give away signs?