Tyre Pressures

iancwilx

We have a 1995 two berth Elddis Vogue SE. Just had different tyres put on but don't know the correct tyre pressures. The tyres are 175 R130 SPR. The unladen weight of the van is 792kgs, the max load is 184kgs.

We are going away tomorrow so need to know the correct tyre pressures ASAP.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

~ Wilky

I have just checked the Elddis website as they have an archive of brochures but only back to the year 2000

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

just googled it, and topic on practical caravan say he contacted dealer and they said 50psi

phil

In the absence of other firm information, if you look on the sidewall of the tyre you will find a max load and a max pressure, so you could prorate that to your actual load.

For example, say the max load is 600kg and the max pressure is 65psi and your actual load per tyre is 500kg.

Then required pressure is 500/600 x 65 = 54psi. - put your own figures in.

Brian

http://www. uktow. com/Caravan_axle_load. asp

This web site deals with many common size tyres and loads.

Your tyre sizes seem to be incorrect, (you quote 175 R130 SPR)

The 175 is the breadth of the tyre in mm, The 'R' signifies that it is a radial tyre, the next two numbers (13) would normally be the diameter of the wheel in inches. Could the '0' be a 'C'?

You also need to check the tyres load index

http://www. blackcircles. com/general/sidewall will tell you where to look for the load index

Hope this is of some help

Edited by reluctant

Trevor.

Yes, I'm sorry the 0 should be a C the tyre is invoiced to me as 175/80/13/C/6Ply ~ The van is Unladen weight 792 kgs Max load 184kgs.

I've been putting 55psi in. this sounds about right unless you know different !

I will have a look on the tyre for max pressure and max load tomorrow.

Thanks for comments so far.

~ Wilky

I always put in 45psi in mine.

Anything above 50psi can make the caravan ride and bob over any bumps in the road. A slightly less inflated tyre will absorb more energy and leave the caravan more level on the road as the tyre moves rather than the caravan. You should always be able to press your thumb into a tyre side wall. If you can't its over inflated.

If you had 2 footballs lined up and one was fully or over inflated and one was say 75-80% inflated and you kicked them each the harder one would travel further as the softer one absorbs the impact better and projects forward later and with less energy than the full one. The rule applies to tyres, slightly softer and it absorb any bumps and pot holes in the road better and shake the caravan less as it has less energy to pass on.

All the best.

My Bailey has same size tyres as yours and van is pretty close to your weight, my handbook states 42psi, 50 upwards sounds very high, But I stand to be corrected