Suction Mount For Multimo Satellite Dish

I'm looking at getting the Multimo satellite dish and want to mount it on the roof of my Bailey with the Glomex suction mount but I've read somewhere that the suction pad can damage the caravan skin by leaving a bulge.

Has anyone used one of these mounts and does it really cause problems?

I wouldn't, even with a bonded roof, there is a possibility of pulling up a bulge. A loose roofed van would be worse. The aluminium is not vey thick and might distort especially if the wind puffed up and tried to pull it off.

Others might not have had a problem but I wouldn't risk it - if the sucker let go then just think of the damage that the dish could wreak as it rolled around the roof or fell off.

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I agree with matelodave, I wouldn't risk it on an aluminium roof.

Furthermore, I once had a small Maxview dish with sucker attachment.

After a week fixed to the side of the van the suckers left three black circles on the paintwork which proved very difficult to remove.

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

I'm looking at getting the Multimo satellite dish and want to mount it on the roof of my Bailey with the Glomex suction mount but I've read somewhere that the suction pad can damage the caravan skin by leaving a bulge.

Has anyone used one of these mounts and does it really cause problems?

Welcome to the forum,

I found a cheap and easy method of securely mounting my satellite dish. I bought a small portable rotary clothes line from Aldi, (About £15). It’s basically a pole mounted on a tripod. The dish clamps to the top.

To stop it from toppling or blowing over, I simply drilled a hole through the foot of each of the three legs and use a tent peg skewer through each foot to hold it in place.

It has the added advantage, that the lower part can still be used for drying swimming cossies and towels. If extra drying capacity is required the top part is quickly and easily converted back to a rotary washing line for a greater drying capacity.

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

The other option is a jockey wheel bracket that is designed to take a pole and the dish can be mounted then on a pole . They are available in most caravan shops.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Thanks for your replies.

Our caravan is a 2007 Bailey Pageant but unfortunately I don't know what type of skin it has.

I still like the idea of mounting it on the roof to keep it out of the way. If the suction pad is going to pull up a bulge when fixed directly onto the skin, then I wonder whether sticking a piece of thick rigid plastic, maybe a circle about 1ft in diameter, to the roof with Sikaflex and then using the suction mount on this. It would provide a firm flat smooth surface for the suction and if it were a reasonable size then it would spread the load if the wind got up.