The 13Pin Euro Plug

Ldsundance

I have just been thinking about this when making up a 5 meter extension, and are we not being diddled by having 13pins? the old system you could potentially have 14 pins but now a max of 13 but a lot just using 12pins. even the cable most places just sell 12 core cable and not 13, so does anyone know why they decided to go for 13pins and not more?

Towing with 2. 0 darkside mk3 Ford Focus hatch named the Naked Turtle, towing a 1993 Abi Jubilee Emperor Named Michelle

I have just been thinking about this when making up a 5 meter extension, and are we not being diddled by having 13pins? the old system you could potentially have 14 pins but now a max of 13 but a lot just using 12pins. even the cable most places just sell 12 core cable and not 13, so does anyone know why they decided to go for 13pins and not more?

Are you thinking of running Dolby surround sound through it? :ph34r: 13pins seems plenty. for future updates I think a separate supply for the fridge and battery charging would be a good upgrade though.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I was told that the 13th pin was for futureproofing,, possibly the inclusion of a reversing camera,, sounds feasible to me

I was told that the 13th pin was for futureproofing,, possibly the inclusion of a reversing camera,, sounds feasible to me

Who needs a reversing camera :ph34r: *crunch*

Mahatma Gandhi

It has to be for future expansion. Who knows what is around the corner? I think just one spare pin maybe a little short sighted.

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

For one thing it was the European standard, and for another I understood it provided a more robust supply for fridges etc which prevented pin burn out which was quite common on the old S socket. When I caravanned I always felt the 13 pin connector was far better because it twisted and locked into place.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

i understand the better connection but its the actual number of pins, on some vehicles the 13th spare pin 12 is used for the towcar to tell it that its connected, I shall eventually be using the extra pin on mine for the video feed for a camera

Towing with 2. 0 darkside mk3 Ford Focus hatch named the Naked Turtle, towing a 1993 Abi Jubilee Emperor Named Michelle

As I said, I was told by a fitter that the 13th pin was probably intended for a rear view camera,,, think I may swap over to 13 pin

Are you thinking of running Dolby surround sound through it? :ph34r: 13pins seems plenty. for future updates I think a separate supply for the fridge and battery charging would be a good upgrade though.

They already are separate. Fridge supply is pin 10 and battery charging pin 9.

Brian

The 13 pin connector was not designed for caravans/trailers in the leisure world . These were designed for general low voltage use - especially articulated trailers, and eventually brought into use as caravan/trailer connectors. The biggest advantage of these connectors compared to the 7 pin connectors is the integrity of the electrical connection. Performance in wet and corrosive conditions is also superior. Even more reliable were the square multi-pin connector blocks with numerous pins and over centre clamps to secure them - very nice and very expensive!

Ern

They already are separate. Fridge supply is pin 10 and battery charging pin 9.

Brian

Not on my van. Pin 9 is permanent live and pin 10 is ignition live. Everything on my van is powered from ignition live, including the ATC. I just think another 'live' to cope with the ever growing size of fridges in caravans might be usefull.

Mahatma Gandhi

Sorry Dreadly but your van is wired incorrectly.

Pin 9 Continuous 12V supply

Pin 10 Fridge

Pin 11 Earth for fridge

Pin 13 Earth for pin 9

Your atc should power up when plugged in with car engine stopped. Hence atc does its self checking and led turns green. Hence atc is fed from pin 9.

Sorry Dreadly but your van is wired incorrectly.

Pin 9 Continuous 12V supply

Pin 10 Fridge

Pin 11 Earth for fridge

Pin 13 Earth for pin 9

Your atc should power up when plugged in with car engine stopped. Hence atc does its self checking and led turns green. Hence atc is fed from pin 9.

Yes, it has been pointed out before, not sure why it is like this but it is and it all seems to work ok!

As it is, the ATC only powers up 'self test' when I start the engine.

I think the towbar fitter made a mistake, I think I have two switched lives on the car, not one! Have just never got around to tracing it. Anyway, all I was getting at is that what harm can another live supply do? Is it required?

FlyingTog has put a very good explanation and diagram of how modern caravans are wired on his blog site --> http://caravanchronicles. com/guides/understanding-caravan-and-tow-car-electrics/

Edited by dreadly

Mahatma Gandhi

Not on my van. Pin 9 is permanent live and pin 10 is ignition live. Everything on my van is powered from ignition live, including the ATC. I just think another 'live' to cope with the ever growing size of fridges in caravans might be usefull.

The ATC is fed from pin 9 so it should self test as soon as you plug it in if it is permanent live. It seems to be ignition switch control in your case. If both 9 and 10 are switched, are they fed from one supply rather than two separate supplies which would give poor fridge performance.

The other function that the permanent supply pin 9 does is to give a supply from your car battery when you plug in with engine off. It can be used as a temporary source of supply if you have flattened your caravan battery.

Brian

All 13 pins are used.

If you check ISO 11446 the latest version it gives all the functions of the pins. .. details here http://caravanchronicles. com/guides/iso-11446-13-pin-trailer-connections/

You only need 12 core cable as pin 12 is connected to pin 3 within the plug for trailer sensing.

ATC should be connected to the permanent live only, it should also not be on a circuit controlled by a split charge/voltage sensing relay.

S

2006 Landrover Freelander HSE TD4 (remapped) + 2011 Sterling Celebration 550
No trees were harmed by this message, but several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

my blog. ..Caravan Chronicles Twitter: @CaravanChron

My present towcar was wrongly wired initially and the ATC malfunctioned. Now pin 9 is permanent live and all is well.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

All 13 pins are used.

If you check ISO 11446 the latest version it gives all the functions of the pins. .. details here http://caravanchronicles. com/guides/iso-11446-13-pin-trailer-connections/

You only need 12 core cable as pin 12 is connected to pin 3 within the plug for trailer sensing.

ATC should be connected to the permanent live only, it should also not be on a circuit controlled by a split charge/voltage sensing relay.

S

There are some vehicles which do use pin 12 (the spare pin) as a means of detection circuit. Menber, probably the largest manufactuer of vehicle connectors, sell 13 pin sockets with one and two micro switches so there must be a demand for such things.

Twelve core cable seems to be the UK trading down, as usual, to the cheapest option. Some years ago I had to source 13 core cable from Germany. .

The 13 pin connector was not designed for caravans/trailers in the leisure world . These were designed for general low voltage use - especially articulated trailers, and eventually brought into use as caravan/trailer connectors.

LGVs are 24 volt and use completely different plug and socket systems. The 13 pin system is/was intended for 12 volt systems in cars and light commercial vehicles.

ISO here http://www. iso. org/iso/catalogue_detail. htm?csnumber=30204

24 volt systems will take twice the amperage for a given wattage.

Edited by beejay

I'm afraid you've got that last bit back to front 24V systems actually take half the current of 12V for any given wattage.

For instance 24W at 24V, 24÷24=1A, 24V at 12V, 24÷12=2A.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

There are some vehicles which do use pin 12 (the spare pin) as a means of detection circuit.

I think that is what I said. The ISO spec details that pin 12 is linked to pin 3 within the 13 pin plug so as to provide an earth return path for the vehicle detection system which looks for an earth on pin 12 of the plug when it is coupled.

The switched sockets were originally designed for vehicle manufactures that had trailer stability assist and ABS trailer sense as pre the latest ISO 11446 standard pin 12 was undesignated and as such manufacturers of vehicles were not allowed to use this pin for anything. Therefore they had to incorporate some form of detection. . i. e. microswitches that would detect the presence of a trailer plug.

This caused some problems with vehicles that were fitted with bike racks that had a light board fitted. The vehicle would think that a trailer was attached and adjust the TSP and ABS accordingly which was problematical and some drivers reported adverse affects.

Twelve core cable seems to be the UK trading down, as usual, to the cheapest option. Some years ago I had to source 13 core cable from Germany. .

As the standard only defined the use of 12 pins, cable manufacturers only produced 12 core cable, with the exception of some markets where a variant of the 13 pin plug was used for military use (ISO 11446 - 2) which was fully waterproof (sometimes designated "for wading use") The extra core was to power the convoy lights. So initially 12 core was the only cable available in the UK and only subsequently has 13 core become widely available, but as the latest ISO 11446 spec says pin 12 is connected to pin 3 and this can be done within the plug, 13 core cable is not really required.

S

2006 Landrover Freelander HSE TD4 (remapped) + 2011 Sterling Celebration 550
No trees were harmed by this message, but several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

my blog. ..Caravan Chronicles Twitter: @CaravanChron