The Last Refuge Of Banality

Just read a recent caravan club magazine letters page.

Ten minutes of my life I will never get back.

On the letters page is a paragraph headed " Have you got something to say"

I think they should change it to " Have you got something interesting to say"

I cannot believe that what appears on the pages is the pick of the correspondence received, if it is they should scrap the letters page and stick a few more adverts in for beige slacks or phones with big buttons.

They even have the gall to select a star letter, please don't encourage folks further then they might stick to writing to take a break magazine

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

I find most things to do with the Caravan Club are comatose. :rolleyes:

I try to read their magazine when it drops through my letter box each month, in the hope that it will improve, but then wonder why I bothered. :blink:

Next month I think I will try chewing it instead, the taste of recycled paper is probably going to be more interesting than the content of their magazine. :unsure:

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Might be an interesting theme to have on here?

Oh wait - we have the social club :lol: :lol:

Would be fun to see who gets the star post of the week - that in itself would create an everlasting letters page.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

I used to work for an organisation that produced an in house magazine, good news and positive slants were the only articles printed and it was sickening in its sugaryness.

Like the caravan magazine it was not on sale, like the caravan magazine it would never sell and relies on a captive audience. Maybe the people who put it together should think about how it would fare on a newsagents shelf when picking or writing its content.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

I stopped buying the commercial magazines as they were only selling their message too. At least Caravan Magazine is 'free'......

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I like the magazine . ... AND the star letter this month was written by a friend of mine!

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Just read a recent caravan club magazine letters page.

Ten minutes of my life I will never get back.

On the letters page is a paragraph headed " Have you got something to say"

I think they should change it to " Have you got something interesting to say"

I cannot believe that what appears on the pages is the pick of the correspondence received, if it is they should scrap the letters page and stick a few more adverts in for beige slacks or phones with big buttons.

They even have the gall to select a star letter, please don't encourage folks further then they might stick to writing to take a break magazine

A long letter if it took ten minutes to read. Why read it if it troubles you so much.

I quite agree about the CC magazine and in no way could it be described as good, authoritative writing. I also think that the letters are particularly uninspiring and it baffles me why their correspondents even put pen to paper, but it seems to satisfy a good section of the membership, the rest of us have the option not to read it.

As has been said many times before, it's a pity we do not have the option not to receive it and enjoy a reduced membership fee instead

We cancelled the club magazine from CC and C&CC recently as we found the content not very useful and slightly irritating. We have managed to reduce our junk mail and recycling by quite a lot. These days we find ONLY HALF A TONNE of junk behind the door when returning from long caravanning trips.

Ern

I agree with the previous poster who wants a two teir annual subsciption. Those who dont want the boring magazine to pay a few pounds less than we do now, with a premium addition for those who want it. That should be agreeable to all. Its called choice.

C&CC members were asked recently if they would prefer to get the magazine in an electronic format, for myself I replied no, as I get too many trade emags and I also prefer the tangible printed version. But of those correspondents on here moaning about the magazines, did you vote for an emag? That might solve your problem as then you could just block it.

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

My son found a "top tip" in the Viz magazine many years ago. It said that the Police shouldn't waste their time with the sex offenders register, merely refer to the person's listed in the membership of the local caravan club. Top Gear and other media outlets love to take the Mickey out of caravans and caravanners. I had some colleagues who used to take the Mickey about my caravan ownership.

You have got to wonder why the non caravanner world view us in this way. Tenters and time share holidaymakers don't have the same bad press.

Yes I know we clog the roads up but the Mickey taking goes beyond that issue and is more along the lines of how weird we are.

I know from meeting folks on sites and thru this forum that a cross spectrum of society is reflected in participating in caravanning.

Perhaps if our flagship club magazine reflected this rather than churn out letters from the "aren't kittens fluffy" brigade we might not be viewed in the same light.

Yes I know that I don't have to read them but it's my hope that one day I find a good one. It's nice to live in hope but anticipate disappointment might lie ahead.

A long letter if it took ten minutes to read. Why read it if it troubles you so much.

Sir John said that it took ten minutes to read the letters page, not one individual letter and he probably read it all, as I do, in the hope of finding something interesting.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Sir John said that it took ten minutes to read the letters page, not one individual letter and he probably read it all, as I do, in the hope of finding something interesting.

My error. .. aplogies to SirJohnFaulkner.

That said, ten minutes on the letters page is about ten minutes too many. How many letters about how good the CC insurance / Green Flag / CC sat nav etc would anyone want to read?

The crossword is ok for a few minutes but that is probably it for this particular publication.

As SirJohnFaulkner touches on above, would this magazine succeed if it cost a couple or three quid from a newsagents?

As SirJohnFaulkner touches on above, would this magazine succeed if it cost a couple or three quid from a newsagents?

It probably would as its full of adverts!

Have all of the members who moan about CC or C&CC magazines bothered to write to their Clubs or entered comments on forums where they exist?? . .........I doubt it.

geoff

Shipbroker Are you inferring that any adverse comments about the CC mag on the CC forum is actually read by the Grinstead lot. If so, you are much better informed than the rest of us. There have been pages and pages of posts on that very subject but no feedback whatever from those who live in splendid isolation in the CC head office.

. .....you could be right!.........Must admit I prefer the Magazine to the Forum which I find so poor to navigate that I ignore it

geoff

Much as I love caravanning I think it must be incredibly difficult to think up something new every month,especially in a magazine that has a huge range of types of readers. The letters do tend to be a bit bland and self congratulatory but it's OK considering the services you receive for the membership fee IMHO.

I am not a CC knocker in general.

I have enjoyed their services over the years barring their dreary mag.

I love the film Full Metal Jacket. In the film the main character works for stars and stripes publication and is constantly directed what to write and how. Maybe there is a similar ethos at the CC and lots of frustrated journos.

As paulthomas says it must be difficult to find materiel to fill a monthly mag so maybe it should be bi monthly during winter perhaps.

When the magazine was bi-monthly it did not attract enough advertising revenue and some of the "News" was sometimes out of date.

. .....you could be right!.........Must admit I prefer the Magazine to the Forum which I find so poor to navigate that I ignore it

geoff

Agreed. The adverts on the CC forum are often ages old as well

Much as I love caravanning I think it must be incredibly difficult to think up something new every month,especially in a magazine that has a huge range of types of readers. The letters do tend to be a bit bland and self congratulatory but it's OK considering the services you receive for the membership fee IMHO.

Yes, so why not publish some of the members' articles that are on the forum on where they have been. It seems that they aren't willing to use members' contributions apart from on the letter page.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Yes, so why not publish some of the members' articles that are on the forum on where they have been. It seems that they aren't willing to use members' contributions apart from on the letter page.

Probably because it would threaten the jobs of the NUJ members who work on the magazine. :rolleyes: