Damp Floor Reading On Bailey Unicorn First Service

Alsie

My Unicorn Valencia S2 had its first service yesterday. It has a damp floor reading of 12%. I appreciate that this is a low reading but does anyone else have similar damp floor readings on their first service.

As I understand 12% is around normal moisture content for internal ply. (Unless in a very dry atmosphere)

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I would of thought a reading in a household on wood might be about 12 with these damp wet outside conditions . I would not worry until you get a reading over 25.

Towing in rain might increase floor readings.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

My Unicorn Valencia S2 had its first service yesterday. It has a damp floor reading of 12%. I appreciate that this is a low reading but does anyone else have similar damp floor readings on their first service.

I don't consider any reading below 15% at this time of year as damp personally.

A 12% reading is only significant id all the rest of the floor is a lot lower. Where was this reading? Someone had a higher reading in their bathroom a few week ago and then realised that he'd been storing damp stuff in that very spot. Higher humidity in the bathroom could also account for a slightly higher reading in there than the rest of the van

15-20% is worth keeping an eye on but 12% would be about average especially at this time of the year. Just make sure you keep all vents clear and allow air to circulate around the van & upholstery.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

A 12% reading is only significant id all the rest of the floor is a lot lower. Where was this reading? Someone had a higher reading in their bathroom a few week ago and then realised that he'd been storing damp stuff in that very spot. Higher humidity in the bathroom could also account for a slightly higher reading in there than the rest of the van

15-20% is worth keeping an eye on but 12% would be about average especially at this time of the year. Just make sure you keep all vents clear and allow air to circulate around the van & upholstery.

Why is there a higher humidity in a touring caravan bathroom and what style of bathroom ??

Personally I wouldn't worry about a 12% reading (I think)

Because you get washed, use the shower and slop water about and even hang damp towels in there - well we do, you might not ;) ;)

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Because you get washed, use the shower and slop water about and even hang damp towels in there - well we do, you might not ;) ;)

Looking at your avatar picture, I think you may need to change your bathroom products or get a bigger mirror, doesn't seem to be to good on the complexion. ;) ;)

Believe it or not we actually do wash, but like most we use the shower block, even when we do use our caravan shower it tends to dry out pretty quickly, towels are hanged mostly outside or in the awning and when the caravans in storage and not being used, any humidity should be equal to the rest of the interior of the caravan. :rolleyes:

I also thought most caravans had vinyl coverings on the floor throughout the caravan and some bathrooms have a hard sealed mufti function floor, such as a corner or centre toilet shower layout.

So could humidity in a touring caravan contribute to a possible damp floor ?

That's all :blink:

Edited by Gaz40

So could humidity in a touring caravan contribute to a possible damp floor ?

That's all :blink:

In this case the floor does not see, to be damp with a moisture content of 12%

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

This is the ambient reading I would expect from the wood elements in a perfectly dry caravan at this time of the year. It is the same as ours recorded all over the floor except where the shower had been leaking.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

In this case the floor does not see, to be damp with a moisture content of 12%

I agree (read my post above) but hypothetically could the humidity in a touring caravan bathroom, contribute to a damp floor in that area ?

It seems from posts above that other caravan owners had higher readings in their bathroom floors and this humidity with damp towels was mentioned as a cause. That's why I asked the question, could this be possible ?

Edited by Gaz40

Without knowing where his "damp" is we are all guessing.

Regarding the Avatar, the toothpaste works well, but I've been having a bit of a problem with the shampoo - caused some swelling and all my hair has fallen out

does

Without knowing where his "damp" is we are all guessing.

Regarding the Avatar, the toothpaste works well, but I've been having a bit of a problem with the shampoo - caused some swelling and all my hair has fallen out

I tend to find that rubbing in wet tree bark stimulates the follicles, but it tends to be a little painful. :o but it does depend on the thickness of your skin ;)

Edited by Gaz40

Thanks for all your replies, guess the 12% is kinda average for time of year, especially a very wet time of year. Unfortunately the service provider did not supply a chart of where the readings were taken on the floor just a line on the service form saying damp floor reading 12%.

No, there is a box at the bottom of the report headed Moisture test/report/service information/ additional work and hand written inside the box is Damp check of floor 12%.

Probably no detailed damp report as this is a Baily Alutech Caravan with GRP internal walls which are not subject to a damp check.

No, there is a box at the bottom of the report headed Moisture test/report/service information/ additional work and hand written inside the box is Damp check of floor 12%.

Probably no detailed damp report as this is a Baily Alutech Caravan with GRP internal walls which are not subject to a damp check.

You are right they are not subject to a damp test in the walls and roof. My dealer does however provide the usual schematic diagram of where the multiple readings are taken of the floor, with the reading at that point ( basically all round the floor wall join). If they didn't I would be asking for it toot sweet as proof they have done it properly.

As has been stated 12% readings are not 'damp' it is normal readings for a wood product i. e. it's dry end of story.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Maybe in the future you might want to consider an Approved Workshop you will then get the correct reports.

That's some very good advice IMHO.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

You are right they are not subject to a damp test in the walls and roof. My dealer does however provide the usual schematic diagram of where the multiple readings are taken of the floor, with the reading at that point ( basically all round the floor wall join). If they didn't I would be asking for it toot sweet as proof they have done it properly.

As has been stated 12% readings are not 'damp' it is normal readings for a wood product i. e. it's dry end of story.

My AWS use to provide a floor diagram with the damp readings, although the front lockers were omitted.

Now however they only provide a single damp reading, no layout, so using an approved dealer is no guarantee of a good report in my experience, I did question the change but just got lame excuses, "that's how we do it now"

My AWS use to provide a floor diagram with the damp readings, although the front lockers were omitted. Now however they only provide a single damp reading, no layout, so using an approved dealer is no guarantee of a good report in my experience, I did question the change but just got lame excuses, "that's how we do it now"

I'm afraid if the dealer is a member of the Approved Workshop scheme they must use the correct (or similar) paperwork. If anyone has a service at an Approved Workshop please insist on receiving the correct paperwork (it's what the caravan manufacturers will want to see if you have any future warranty claims).

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

I'm afraid if the dealer is a member of the Approved Workshop scheme they must use the correct (or similar) paperwork. If anyone has a service at an Approved Workshop please insist on receiving the correct paperwork (it's what the caravan manufacturers will want to see if you have any future warranty claims).

The manufacture will only require receipts of the service from the dealer to uphold any future claim of the manufactures warranty. The dealer will be a franchise of the manufacture and the manufacture sets the conditions of the franchise to the dealer. So if your caravan is serviced within a franchised dealers workshop the requirements of the manufactures service will apply. Just keep your manufactures dealer service receipts to keep your warranty valid.

Edited by Gaz40