Best Leisure Battery

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

My current 3 year old battery has died and won't hold charge even after using the recovery program on my Ctek charger. It is an 85ah wet battery.

I always use electric hook up on sites but the caravan is in store for perhaps two months between uses where there is no hook up. The caravan has an alarm and tracker that requires power. It is a TA with 4x4 movers that I use to position on site. I don't wish to fit a solar panel due to weight restrictions.

Can anybody suggest a great battery that will suit my situation.

Thanks

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

You say 'great' battery but unsure whether you are, therefore, sort of disregarding costs, increased weight and increased size over 85 Ah currently used. My situation similar to yours except maybe nearer 3 months in storage and I use 85 in caravan with a VERY cheap 2nd battery which I use to swap when charging 'normal' one. You can actually buy a 12v 7Ah battery for less than £15 which would cover your alarm for a day or so whilst other on charge. Think the other point is that my last van (Swift without Tracker) had much greater current drain on alarm compared to my Bailey. Sorry not answered your question!

Edited by SamD

Sam :beardy:

Is the battery flat when you pick it up from storage or is there plenty of life still there, the reason I'm asking is that constant excessive discharge will shorten the batterys life.

Our friend uses a solar panel fitted to the roof with suckers while in storage, he takes it at home before he goes away

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Unless you are going to spend silly money on new gel batteries I would say that cost verses warranty would be the best buy. Its the warranty that's important which suggests a better quality battery.

Is the battery flat when you pick it up from storage or is there plenty of life still there, the reason I'm asking is that constant excessive discharge will shorten the batterys life.

Our friend uses a solar panel fitted to the roof with suckers while in storage, he takes it at home before he goes away

No the battery is dead and dies quickly (maybe two weeks) after a full charge.

I am not sure how a panel suckered to the roof would fair at our storage? It is probably the most exposed place on Earth - or so it feels!

You say 'great' battery but unsure whether you are, therefore, sort of disregarding costs, increased weight and increased size over 85 Ah currently used. My situation similar to yours except maybe nearer 3 months in storage and I use 85 in caravan with a VERY cheap 2nd battery which I use to swap when charging 'normal' one. You can actually buy a 12v 7Ah battery for less than £15 which would cover your alarm for a day or so whilst other on charge. Think the other point is that my last van (Swift without Tracker) had much greater current drain on alarm compared to my Bailey. Sorry not answered your question!

Good idea thank you Sam, but I have a bad back and the idea is to do less lifting if possible.

Unless you are going to spend silly money on new gel batteries I would say that cost verses warranty would be the best buy. Its the warranty that's important which suggests a better quality battery.

This sounds good advice - thank you!

Indeed, Personally I would go for the biggest Banner leisure battery you can fit in the van. See previous battery threads for the reasons surrounding that.

As brilock1 states, they have a good warranty and Paul_B states, if you go for the largest your van can accommodate then there is less damage to the battery as it is not as deeply discharged.

Also see the Caravan Club's battery test results surrounding compliance with EN50342 standards.

Some interesting further reading on the subject --->

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/media/6552072/technical. pdf

http://www. google. co. uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CGMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. campingandcaravanningclub. co. uk%2FGetAsset. aspx%3Fid%3DfAAxADMANQAxADAAfAB8AFQAcgB1AGUAfAB8ADAAfAA1&ei=cWfaUp9lxpWFB_bEgIAN&usg=AFQjCNEJItBxRj3LdNISMkyw1m57ALAy1g

http://www. practicalcaravan. com/forum/technical/leisure-battery-investigation-caravan-club

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I also like the Banner Energy Bull, not the "best" but excellent value for money. You don't need the "best" and you certainly will not like the price or value for money of the technically best.

Don't assume a quoted long period warranty assures anything, the warranty is only as good as the person offering it!

In leisure batteries there are a lot of people who found that out the hard way.

Realistically, if a battery has a fault it is well evident in two years at the most; failure after that is almost certainly in use abuse. .

Edited by JTQ

A great battery? Any leisure battery in a stored caravan that lasts more than two years is a great battery.

The important things to remember are:

1. You need a leisure battery rather than a starter battery. The construction of both types is very different. A leisure battery will supply you with a lower current, but over an extended period.

2. With four motor movers a 110amp hour battery would be a better choice, larger if possible, if it will fit in your existing battery box.

3. If you leave any battery in a caravan while in storage you must recharge it at least once every three months. More frequently if possible. Failure to do so will result in battery deterioration, loss of capacity and eventually sulphated or shorted plates. (Battery death).

4. I currently use a Varta 110amp hour leisure battery and would recommend them. Eurocar parts are distributors.

5. Before you buy, go online and google reviews for your intended purchase.

Hope this helps. ;)

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

I also like the Banner Energy Bull, not the "best" but excellent value for money. You don't need the "best" and you certainly will not like the price or value for money of the technically best.

Don't assume a quoted long period warranty assures anything, the warranty is only as good as the person offering it!

In leisure batteries there are a lot of people who found that out the hard way.

Realistically, if a battery has a fault it is well evident in two years at the most; failure after that is almost certainly in use abuse. .

:goodpost: Very much agree.

Mahatma Gandhi

Paying twice as much for a battery won't mean that it will last twice as long.

The main thing is to not let the battery go flat. Keep it regularly charged and try not to discharge it below 50%. Most. batteries die of neglect rather than old age, I reckon to get 6-7 years out of a reasonably priced battery, in fact my last one was 7 years old when it started to fade - its' not totally dead yet and cost me £40. It only got changed because we wanted to go away for Christmas and we'd had a long power cut at home and we threfore use the van as our refuge.

I also used the same batteries on my boat and they lasted me about 7 years as well

The present one on the van (bought in Novemberr 2013) is a Numax and cost me £80 - it has a 4-year warranty and it will get a refreshing charge once a month when the van is not in use - which isn't very often as we use the van all the year round

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

A regular two months in storage with a constant drain from the alarm & tracker will destroy a battery eventually, no matter how much you pay and how big a battery.

If it's not possible to disconnect the alarm & tracker in storage, the only longer term solution is to swap batteries periodically (which you have ruled out), or permanently fit a solar panel to the roof. It's also possible to temporarily mount a panel inside the caravan against a sunny side window, or inside a roof light, but if you use a caravan cover then forget the solar panel solution.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Your battery is going to drain with an alarm and tracker connected 24 hours per day*. Whilst deep discharge batteries fare better than starter batteries, they are still damaged by heavy discharge without soon after charging. Buy a new battery then protect your investment by either recharging once a month or by fitting a solar panel (40W should do).

p. s. if you have a cover, place the solar panel outside of it!

*I'm guessing both would draw about 100mA. With a 110AH battery, it would last 1100 hours (or 45 days) until completely flat (not a good thing)

Solar panels do NOT have to be heavy; our 68w one weighs 3. 9kg and is all but invisible.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Depending on the size of your battery tray, try one of the unnamed battery supplier leisure batteries. Although we don't have one in our caravan at the moment because there was already a battery in it when we bought it, we have 110aH one on our camper and it's pretty hard to kill!! It's been fitted for five years now, and has been flat on more than a couple of occasions due to injudicious use of 12v bits and bobs and failure to replace the power drawn!!

When the caravan one finally bites the dust, we'll get an unnamed battery supplier for it, provided they make one the right sie for the battery cupboard.

Ummmmmmmmm, what's the point of recommending a battery if the brand name is replaced by the words "unnamed battery suppliers". At the risk of being barred from the forum, I'll repeat my recommendation in that it begins with Elec and it ends in sol.

As far as purchasing batteries are concerned, our favoured supplier is Tayna (online). We have quite a few vehicles so have consequently bought quite a few batteries too. They have a good range at good prices and delivery is prompt.

The 'Unnamed' supplier have caused more than their fair share of trouble. ... also they do not honor their warranty claims. Also you should not find ways around the obfuscation of names that are banned.

Mahatma Gandhi

. Also you should not find ways around the obfuscation of names that are banned.

You are so obtuse!!! Lol

The 'Unnamed' supplier have caused more than their fair share of trouble. ... also they do not honor their warranty claims. Also you should not find ways around the obfuscation of names that are banned.

You might also find that they have ceased trading, which throws even greater concern on the still available stock.

Well, according to this post #4 from the current "Battery types" thread.

From Companies House

2013:

Net worth £7323

Cash £32

Assets £767,864

Liabilities £664,528.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Tanya batteries appear to offering Tanya badged/unnamed battery company range for sale here

The one year warranty is somewhat different.

The one year warranty is somewhat different.

Indeed so - suspect that is Tanya's own warranty as they clear stock?

Ummmmmmmmm, what's the point of recommending a battery if the brand name is replaced by the words "unnamed battery suppliers".

How things change. I did something similiar on CT some while back and got put on the naughty step for a week - which means every single one of my posts had to wait for a moderator to be bothered to check it before it was published. I'm still spitting feathers :blink:

Land Rover is now back towing.

How things change. I did something similiar on CT some while back and got put on the naughty step for a week - which means every single one of my posts had to wait for a moderator to be bothered to check it before it was published. I'm still spitting feathers :blink:

. .presume you were barred from plucking chickens. ;)

Hi,

If i read it correctly the battery that cannot be named is no more ---- can it now be named ?

Regarding solar panels,-- look at semi flexable ones as uused for boats etc. We have one that fits in our main front window, 70 watts but at this time of year& with two layers of plastic its output is around 1. 2 amps.

Tracker,- we had this system in a Lunar we had - found out that the power taken from the battery was " variable" depends it seems on how near the phone mast is. The further away the more power needed to communicate between the van and phone mast ( this came from Tracker if i remember correctly ) So have a look at semi flexable solar panels- the monocrystaline ones are the best at the moment, size ? depends on the size of the caravan window that gets the most sun --------------

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Indeed, Personally I would go for the biggest Banner leisure battery you can fit in the van. See previous battery threads for the reasons surrounding that.

As brilock1 states, they have a good warranty and Paul_B states, if you go for the largest your van can accommodate then there is less damage to the battery as it is not as deeply discharged.

Also see the Caravan Club's battery test results surrounding compliance with EN50342 standards.

Some interesting further reading on the subject --->

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/media/6552072/technical. pdf

http://www. google. co. uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CGMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. campingandcaravanningclub. co. uk%2FGetAsset. aspx%3Fid%3DfAAxADMANQAxADAAfAB8AFQAcgB1AGUAfAB8ADAAfAA1&ei=cWfaUp9lxpWFB_bEgIAN&usg=AFQjCNEJItBxRj3LdNISMkyw1m57ALAy1g

http://www. practicalcaravan. com/forum/technical/leisure-battery-investigation-caravan-club

Thanks for this great answer.