Your Thoughts On This Please

Doosan

I have just bought a Vax Hard Floor Steam Cleaner for home use and wondered could this be used to clean the roof of my caravan ? What are the pros and cons of this, just a thought. ;)

Dave

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Why????????

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I agree - I wouldn't either.

I use a long handled soft bristle brush and soapy water and it works. Dealers often volunteer with servicing to clean the van. I always refuse as they use power washers. They may not penetrate the joins in the panels but I can't take the risk.

Similarly a steam cleaner may do some damage.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

The Roof ??? Don't think its a good idea Dossy . ... Stick to a good quality brush . ..... Mind you inside for upholstery and carpet cleaning worth a try . .....

GAS. .......... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Why????????

geoff

Excessive heat .

The paint wasn't design to cope against the temperatures of a steamer. Wouldn't surprise me if doing this would lift the paint or stains it. Then there's the risk of distorting or damaging the thin alloy skin, any sealant, abs and plastics, through heat damage. (Any metallurgist's around) Powerful stuff steam :o

A good detergent and Spanish mop. Use a little diluted mild disinfectant for any mould, especially around the roof lights. Sponge the diluted disinfectant on, let stand for 10-15 minutes (Trial and error) and wash off. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion though :unsure:

Edited by Gaz40

I have just bought a Vax Hard Floor Steam Cleaner for home use and wondered could this be used to clean the roof of my caravan ? What are the pros and cons of this, just a thought. ;)

Dave

A Vax hard surface steam cleaner? Noooooooo….!!! :o

I too have one, but only use it to clean tiled areas and occasionally my real wood entrance hall floor.

I have never tried what you are thinking of, but the paint and lacquer coating is comparatively soft and is unlikely to stand-up to such harsh treatment. :unsure:

When I clean my caravan roof I use a normal car wash solution and a soft bristled brush on an extendable pole.

I bought the pole/brush from Maplin for £9. 99. The pole brush attaches to a normal garden hose and has an on/off tap fitted to the bottom of the pole, so you can easily add water at the brush head without coming down the obligatory step ladders. :)

It takes about 30 mins to get the roof cleaned with a sparkling results. ;)

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

I agree - I wouldn't either.

I use a long handled soft bristle brush and soapy water and it works. Dealers often volunteer with servicing to clean the van. I always refuse as they use power washers. They may not penetrate the joins in the panels but I can't take the risk.

Similarly a steam cleaner may do some damage.

We had a power washer at out fire station-- took the paint & transfers off the appliances

david !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

We had a power washer at out fire station-- took the paint & transfers off the appliances

david !

Used incorrectly it will do just that. Used sensibly and they are fine.

Thanks guys for your input, think I will give it a miss and clean it in the normal way. ;)

Dave

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Used incorrectly it will do just that. Used sensibly and they are fine.

Hi,

Item was issued on the normal brigade system--- equipment now ----- instructions a month later !

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!