New Whale Blown Air Heating System

agzy

Was looking at the Bailey Pegasus Rimini (2014 model) and it has the above heating system which, until the other day, I hadn't heard of. Anyone had experience of it, especially off E H U on a rally for instance?

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Quick answer, rubbish. I bought an Elddis Avante 515 last year and found the heater noisy and didn't heat the caravan very well. The back end of the caravan hardly got warm . The blown air system is also poor at the back end, the air does not come out with much force at all. Spoke to the salesman where I bought it from and said to buy a heater to give a bit more heat. No check it out or bring it back and we' ll test it. rubbish, the van cost £ 17000, and that was the answer. Not happy wait hit at all

Thank you Bill, I half expected it would be a problem especially with it being sited under the halves bed if we got a Rimini. What you have reported along with concerns about the two fans running when on battery almost certainly means we will be avoiding that system. Cheers.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Hi Agzy,

We had a Lunar clubman with alde heating-- spent the evenings looking at the volt meter at Helsby on our first trip out ! We got rid of the Lunar after 10 months, one ( of many ) concerns being no battery --- no heat.

Coachman at that time still fitted the 3002 fire so we do not now have to worry about the battery/ heat situation.

The following year Coachman changed over to the underfloor system-- bought the van just in time !

The other thing with the Alde heating was the noise- fan on boiler sounded like a jet aircraft at 4,a. m.

Problem you will now have -- finding a caravan fitted with a heating system that does not require power to work.

The new system(s) are touted as the latest " must have " - fine if you only use E. H. but for people on a rally------

Tis a rare thing to find a caravan maker who uses his product--- they are business men/woman. AS a result they dont understand our ( rally field ) requirements/ problems.

david

Edited by david 1220

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Hi Agzy,

We had a Lunar clubman with alde heating-- spent the evenings looking at the volt meter at Helsby on our first trip out ! We got rid of the Lunar after 10 months, one ( of many ) concerns being no battery --- no heat.

Coachman at that time still fitted the 3002 fire so we do not now have to worry about the battery/ heat situation.

The following year Coachman changed over to the underfloor system-- bought the van just in time !

The other thing with the Alde heating was the noise- fan on boiler sounded like a jet aircraft at 4,a. m.

Problem you will now have -- finding a caravan fitted with a heating system that does not require power to work.

The new system(s) are touted as the latest " must have " - fine if you only use E. H. but for people on a rally------

Tis a rare thing to find a caravan maker who uses his product--- they are business men/woman. AS a result they dont understand our ( rally field ) requirements/ problems.

david

I agree whole heartedly caravan designers should stop and just think for a moment remember the original brief and that is ' a portable self contained living unit' if it does not meet the brief its not a touring caravan.

We are currently sitting in our Swift Conqueror with Alde heating. Lovely and warm and not a sound from it. Knocks any fan driven system into a cocked hat!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I too am in my Valencia with aldi heating totally silent and warm as toast.

Used it on gas at the docks two nights running as well with no loss of battery power, in fact have used it every day for six weeks, but mainly on EHU or the other night in Tours France not enough electric to run anything so used gas. Perfect.

We are currently sitting in our Swift Conqueror with Alde heating. Lovely and warm and not a sound from it. Knocks any fan driven system into a cocked hat!

Hi

You have missed the point of the OP all heating systems in new vans cannot be run for extended periods off EHU. The heating drains the battery and without battery the heating won't work.

Terry.

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

Hi

You have missed the point of the OP all heating systems in new vans cannot be run for extended periods off EHU. The heating drains the battery and without battery the heating won't work.

Terry.

I didn't miss the point. Somebody said Alde heating was noisy and ours isn't. Agree you need battery power but we never go off EHU so don't really care!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I didn't miss the point. Somebody said Alde heating was noisy and ours isn't. Agree you need battery power but we never go off EHU so don't really care!

My Alde heating is quiet too, but the point being made was for the EHU or lack of. I would not swop my Alde for any other type set it up and sit back in comfort

Terry

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

My Alde heating is quiet too, but the point being made was for the EHU or lack of. I would not swop my Alde for any other type set it up and sit back in comfort

Terry

I do like the Alde heating system, but it is very complex with lots to go wrong in the long term and on-going maintenance costs. I was surprised myself to hear how low the 12v power consumption was though, I wouldn't think this would cause issue running off-grid.

Personally I prefer to know that the van can be heated without 12v at all though, just in case I loose that by watching too much TV or something :lol: I can't ask the kids to freeze at night because I wanted to watch Top-Gear Caravan racing.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Nuff said !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Rimini has whale blown air central heating without a fire. Apparently there are two fans to blow the warm air for and aft and, in the Rimini, are sited under one of the twin beds so any noise will be heard by those in bed I presume. Plus of course the power needed to run the pumps when on battery, which we are more often than not. This seems to be whale's answered to the Alde challenge but doesn't seem to fit the bill. Shame as Whale are a great company with some good products and trying to find a non Alde van at present is getting more and more difficult.

CARPE DIEM

Hi Agzy,

I understand your concerns and can't help with the Whale system, as we have the Truma blown air system in our van. What I would advise though, is to ask a Bailey dealer to get the system up and running in the van, then go and see for yourself. We had serious reservations about the Truma system before buying but it's all been unfounded - it actually works very well and is very quiet in normal operation. You can't hear it cutting in and out once it's reached the temperature you've set. We've not used it off EHU either, so can't comment on the battery drain.

Glen.

PS - if you're intending on visiting any of the forthcoming shows, pop along to the Whale stand and speak with the staff there - they may also have the system set up for demo purposes.

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Hi Agzy,

I understand your concerns and can't help with the Whale system, as we have the Truma blown air system in our van. What I would advise though, is to ask a Bailey dealer to get the system up and running in the van, then go and see for yourself. We had serious reservations about the Truma system before buying but it's all been unfounded - it actually works very well and is very quiet in normal operation. You can't hear it cutting in and out once it's reached the temperature you've set. We've not used it off EHU either, so can't comment on the battery drain.

Glen.

PS - if you're intending on visiting any of the forthcoming shows, pop along to the Whale stand and speak with the staff there - they may also have the system set up for demo purposes.

Good thinking as we are going to the Manchester show on Thursday, thanks for the (so obvious now) suggestion, agzy

CARPE DIEM

The exhibitor list here does not show the Whale company as an exhibitor.

Be just my luck :(

CARPE DIEM

Hi all,

Please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated heater support team if you have any questions about or issues with your Whale Heating Systems.

Tel: 0845 217 2933

E-mail: ivan@whalepumps. com

We are attending the NEC Spring Camping and Caravan Show next month, 18th - 23rd February. Hall 2, Stand 2221. Please come and speak with a member of our team.

Many thanks,

Aoiffe

Whale Support

Dear Billcop,
I see from your recent posts that have some issues with your Whale heating system.

We are always keen to discuss any queries or concerns you may have to see where we can assist.

Our Technical Support staff are on hand to assist and answer any queries you may have. Please feel free to contact us

Tel: 0845 217 2933

ivan@whalepumps. com

We look forward to speaking with you, to work with you to ensure that your heating system is operating to the optimal level.

Kind regards,

Claire
Whale Support Team

Hi if you go on the Elddis forum and search down to the second page I think. There is a big thread on this heating system. I have a Elddis 540, and did have some issues with noise and heat problems, but Whale have bent over backwards to try and resolve any issues. Whale are without doubt the best company that I have dealt whith regarding customer service. They have on a couple of occasions flown a engineer over to my home address to sort any problems I had.

They are extremely helpful, and will do everything to help you sort any problem out if any. If you contact them via a pm, they will help you with any question you have. cheers Scoobz.

Thanks for that Scoobz, having read of the issues that I was worried about and found that they are in fact there, we will give the system a miss I think. Like you i have had fantastic service from Whale in the past but over this issue I have emailed them twice and not received one reply so very disappointed. I wonder is the lack of reply due to them not wishing to admit that the system falls short of qualities usually achieved by their products!

CARPE DIEM

Thanks for that Scoobz, having read of the issues that I was worried about and found that they are in fact there, we will give the system a miss I think. Like you i have had fantastic service from Whale in the past but over this issue I have emailed them twice and not received one reply so very disappointed. I wonder is the lack of reply due to them not wishing to admit that the system falls short of qualities usually achieved by their products!

Hi Agzy,

It's Aoiffe from Whale Support here. I have tried to contact you via private message here on Caravan Talk.

Please e-mail me on ahealy@whalepumps. com and I will ensure your query reaches the correct person.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,

Aoiffe

Whale Support

• 1 month later...

Whale generally seem very helpful, and have been good to deal with.

Only problem is new intelegent van system. A great idea let down by a few problems.

On our bailey GT65 the control would often not see the space heater. This is fixable I have been told, but what I found bad was noise from the heater and poor distubution of the warm air.

The distubution may be better in other vans, but I can not see the noise being better .

It anoyed us so much that I sold the van and got one with alde heating .

Hopefully they will come out with a new version, that is quiter soon, as they are a good company.

Roger

Edited by R and J

1998 V70R and 2002 Volvo V70 D5

You are right R&J, as promised in replies from Whale to this thread, they explained everything to me and answered my questions clearly. In the end I decided against the system quite simply because we rally so much and are off EHU for weeks on end, the longest being 5 weeks continuous. I still think the draw on the battery of the fans will be detrimental to extended rallying but it sounds great when 'on the wire'.

CARPE DIEM