Tow Bar Advice

Wmick04

I'm new to the caravan game and I'm going to get my towbar fitted on my vauxhall zafira am I right in thinking a detachable tow ball will be best with it having parking sensors? And also do the tow balls set the parking sensors off constantly when car is in reverse? Lastly Iv been quoted £374 inc vat for the detachable towbar fitting with twin electrics by towbar express is this reasonable? Thanks

What are you towing? Ive got a 2004 2. 0dti zafira and it has a woefully low towing capacity (about 900kg)

Nothing as yet Iv not bought a van yet it's a 2010 19cdti

If you havnt as yet, do a few searches to see what you can pull, it wont be much i think. There are many people on here that can give you advice. Try a search in the box under "zafira" i think there are numerous posts

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/18525-towing-advice-zafira-19-diesel-cdti-150-bhp/

He didn't ask if he should get a Zafira, he asked about detachable towbars and reversing sensors.

Normally towballs don't affect sensors and plugging in the caravan turns them off. However, rather than rely on us why not have a word with your nearest authorized Witter fitter?

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

If there is a sensor directly behind the tow bar it will effect the system. However most systems have an even number of sensors meaning that the norm is for there not to be one direct centre of the bumper were the tow bar will be.

He didn't ask if he should get a Zafira, he asked about detachable towbars and reversing sensors.

Isn't the whole idea of forums to offer friendly advice? - I have not heard anybody say anything unfriendly yet so it must be free, good founded personal experience. Valuable in my opinion.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Normally towballs don't affect sensors and plugging in the caravan turns them off. However, rather than rely on us why not have a word with your nearest authorized Witter fitter?

Trying to gently say dont waste your hand earned on a tow bar.

No matter how much you roll it in glitter it will always be what it is.

I have a towbar fitted after the sensors, the towbar doesn't set it off but the caravan does. Didn't want to pay the extra £95 for the canbus extra to switch off the bleeps.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

As you are based in West Yorkshire I would suggest giving EECO in Shelf a call.

The workmanship I have found second to none, and they are really good with advice on what bar to fit, and what harness to fit and what it will enable/disable. They are also very reasonable price-wise.

I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer over some 20-odd years.

could you not buy the towbar and electrics and fit them yourself, will work out very much cheaper than paying someone to do it for you unless your not confident in doing it, then i guess wou will have to get someone to fit it, but make sure you get a few quotes for doing it and dont just go for the first price given

phil

It is recommended on Zafiras to have a detachable as the sensors are close to the centre of the bumper and effect the system.

I think a 2010 1. 9 has a 1400kg towing limit but the v5 or handbook should give it.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

On some cars, i believe, the reverse sensors can be adjusted not to effect the fitting of a towbar.

Have you sought advice about Zafira clutch when used for towing a caravan??

Whatever you tow with, buy a well made towbar as there is some rubbish on the market albeit meeting all the so called set standards.

Unfortunately, gone are the days when you could make your own towbar if you had the tools and know how.

Unfortunately, gone are the days when you could make your own towbar if you had the tools and know how.

why?? nothing wrong with making your own tow bar if you are competant, mot station do not test tow bars, they only test the electrics

phil

If you have the towbar fitted with the genuine vauxhall wiring loom it will turn off the rear parking sensors and car fog lights when the caravan is connected, be wary of cheap mobile towbar fitters with bypass relays and cheap made in china towbars.

Hi phil s

Re. making your own tow bar :

What about Type Approval for vehicles registered after 1st August 1998?

Either the towbar manufacturers are spinning a yarn, or it is fact that fitting a towbar which doesn't have type approval could invalidate any insurance or warranty claim if it is found to be the cause of any failure.

For £200 or so I wouldn't chance making my own towbar bracket.

They only test 13 pin electrics, not 12S / 12N 7 pin (yet !)

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?