Buy A New Hobby...would You?

silverfoxapparently

You need to get over it.

There is no stigma attached to arriving on any CC or C&CC site, they welcome owners with Hobby vans and have done so for years.

The "raised interest" you mention is not by the traveller fraternity, the new Hobby is far too easily identified.

They are attractive to those who have other destinations for them.

Get over it we have owned Hobby caravans for more years than I care to count and before that Bunstner and Adria, we now have a 650 Uff Premium this size of Hobby is not every bodies choice due to its size but we have several vehicles capable of towing it legally, there are other models which although smaller are still the same quality build.

I have never been refused entry to any caravan site club or private I have full insurance although you have to shop around for the best deal but I have to do that with my car.

<p>BMW X5 

You could put it with the modern urban myth that you will not be welcome if you tow with a van or a pick up truck. I guess site owners will prefer a clean tidy outfit to a load of old scrap but I don't think they care what make or shape it is.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

We have a Swift Sterling caravan and a Hobby 750 motor caravan. The Hobby is built like the proverbial brick carzy! Hobby is the largest caravan manufacturer in Europe, and the quality is absolutely "bang on" If you fancy a Hobby, go for it and you will not regret it.

Edited by Ian Hastings

Ern

No Problems here and plenty of people asking and looking about them .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Hobby's are great. I'd have one and don't care what others think. I have read about not getting accepted on some sites though.

Compass Shadow 1988

I'd have one and would not give a toot what anyone else thinks.

I was on a site in York last week and there was a gorgeous white Hobby, with black windows that sort of merged into a stripe.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hobby is up there amongst the best caravans on the market, quality German engineering from the largest caravan manufacturers in Europe.

Their larger caravans are too big to be towed with a normal car in the UK, but if you have a tow vehicle capable of legally towing your preferred model then go for it.

My favourite Hobby is the Premium 650. It is way too large for my tow tug or any car that I consider to be within my budget. They provide real five star luxury accommodation in what can only be described as a true land yacht.

There is a lot of old tosh talked about the travelling community. I have never seen a Hobby owner turned away from sites I have visited. I have however noticed Hobbys and Tabberts on popular sites I have pitched up at and what fine caravans they are.

Whatever you hear about the travelling community, they certainly seem to know their way around caravans and recognise quality when they see it.

I wouldn’t worry about what other people think. If you can afford a rig that includes a Hobby then get one. You would be sporting an envy inducing caravan at most caravan sites.

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

If I was considering a van to leave on a site then yes a Hobby would be considered. As a tourer no thank you. I will be totally honest I do see them as a travellers van and having had dealings in my job with travellers I would not want anyone for even a split second thinking I was part of that section of society.

Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

I would be so worried that someone (aka traveller's) would be wanting to pinch it off our drive that I would not be able to sleep/leave it/go away without it. .. ever ! Too much to worry about imho. Lovely vans mind ! ;)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Never seen a traveler in the new Premiums. After reading this thread I had a look at Hobby UK website: the brochure is obscure to say the least. Are there any (caravan not motorhome) dealers? And what are the prices?

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Never seen a traveler in the new Premiums. After reading this thread I had a look at Hobby UK website: the brochure is obscure to say the least. Are there any (caravan not motorhome) dealers? And what are the prices?

A few prices of the Hobby models I would most like to own from a 2013 brochure picked up at the last NEC caravan show.

Hobby 560 CFe Premium - £22,475. 00

Hobby 650 UKfe Premium - £21,775. 00

Hobby 650 UFf Premium - £21,775. 00

There are a number of Hobby dealers in the UK.

Try:

Amber gate Caravan Centre Derby – 01773 853900

Hobby Caravans (UK) Ltd.

Take a look at these magnificent tourers at:

www. hobbycaravansuk. co. uk

IMHO Hobby knock most British manufactures into a cocked hat for both styling and quality. ;)

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

We waved goodbye to our Motorhome today. ... and collect our new Hobby in a month. ..! ^_^

In all honesty, I've always liked them, the new Premiums look Excellent, and the build, is out of this world compared with the Rubbish that the Uk are throwing out.

Now, we tried almost every british 'van - Buccaneer, Bailey, Elddis, Swift, Sterling, Luna, Coachman, Compass etc.

Bailey & Coachman's are not for our audience (early 30-something)

Luna's build quality was poor - cupboard doors move in and out, and up and down when they were open!

The Compass's cupboard's trim-insertes were too small for the gaps - i think a new bit in the router was needed!
The Entry level Sterling, i like the look of, but felt cheap (because it was)

Buccaneer, what is the deal with the grey-fake tiles in the dark shower / was room?!

and the Swift Conqueror (now i owned a 2008 Conqueror) What have they done to the fabric?! - Urrrr! Yuck!

So we considered a Knaus Eurostar (too expensive) Airstream (wayyy too much) Hymer (dealer too far away and aint got one to look at) and the Hobby (well built, feels big, good layout, looks pretty, better value than a Uk van)

So. .. we'll report back when we've got our new 'van - and in a few years, will let you know what it's really like!

ps. Be careful; 560 is the biggest you can tow with a vehicle under 3. 5 tonne. (just under 7 meters body)

Edited by ADG

Al.

just looked at the new hobby vans, they look very nice, i would not hesitate in getting one, when we change ours i will be going for a hobby, realy wouldnt bother me about what people might say

phil

Hobby caravan owner turned away from Yorkshire site

The site owners believed the presence of the Hobby would `encourage travellers`

The site owners believed the presence of the Hobby would `encourage travellers`

Related stories

Wednesday, 15, Jun 2011 11:53

by Chris Jefferies

An owner of a Hobby caravan has accused a Yorkshire caravan site of discrimination after he was turned away for his choice of vehicle.

Otterington Park caravan site, near Northallerton in North Yorkshire, said that they would not let Thomas Newby and his family into the site as it would encourage travellers to try and get in as well.

Mr Newby, a local businessman, told the Northern Echo: "I am frankly disgusted by [their] attitude and clearly discriminatory behaviour. We are not travellers, though that is beside the point."

He added that discriminating against caravan owners because of their make of tourer is "unbelievable".

Carol Bowe, the site's owner, said that the park was privately owned and hence they could "take who we want and refuse who we want".

German manufacturer Hobby is Europe's largest caravan maker and many of its models are popular amongst the travelling community.

Nothing against Hobby caravans my self, but I thought this article I found was terrible discrimination against someone. ...

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

I have owned a Knaus Eurostar for 17 years:

A Fendt Platin for 3 years:

A Hobby 540 for 5 years.

An Adria Adora for 18 months,

I have never been refused entry to any touring sites but I am aware of sites which have denied access to Hobby tourers. A number of the sites are named on the Hobby Web site Forum.

I did apply for a seasonal pitch on a UK site and was accepted until they asked for the make of my caravan, and they then ceased all communication.

There was a major amusement park that listed Hobby as one of the caravans not allowed in on it's T&C. Not checked if it still does.

As said anything over a 610 Premium is illegal unless towed by a commercial vehicle with gvw over 3500kg as they have a body length over 7m.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

There was a major amusement park that listed Hobby as one of the caravans not allowed in on it's T&C. Not checked if it still does.

As said anything over a 610 Premium is illegal unless towed by a commercial vehicle with gvw over 3500kg as they have a body length over 7m.

Dave

Just checked Hobby and Tabbert still listed on not allowed in.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

In my opinion the best van on display at last years SECC Caravan Show . ... Build quality and value being miles ahead of UK built vans. ... Liked the idea of the Eterniti slide out configuration but build quality and cost yet again let the side down. ....... ;)

GAS . ......... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

There is a dealer not to far from me in Eastriggs, Dumfries and Galloway, they are actually the opposite to most dealers and sell only new caravans and not motorhomes. .

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

there is a stigma attached to the brand, whether rightly or wrongly, many dealers shy away from taking them in part exchange for this very reason alone, I would take one in but never retail it, any that I have had I have traded straight out to our trader, the motorhomes on the other hand don't carry the same stigma and I have no problem taking them in and retailing them.