Looking For Guidance On The Best Mirrors

Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.png

Check out the Milenco Spares and Products page from Prima Leisure.  Award-winning caravan products that you won't want to miss out on!

I'm new to caravanning, and looking for mirrors for my S-Max.

I've read the various debates on whether or not they are useful, legal requirements etc and don't really want to get involved in all that - I want to be legal and safe, and I would welcome any comments on which are the best types or makes of mirror.

I prefer the thought of flat glass rather than convex to get a good idea of how close vehicles behind me are, but does that mean the field of view is too narrow to be useful? - as an ex motorcyclist I'm physically incapable of moving out without double checking and looking over my shoulder in any case, so I'm guessing flat would work best for me.

Are there any makes or fixing types that are better-or worse- as far as vibration is concerned?

What about ease of fitting / amount of fiddling needed?

I'm really enjoying Caravan Talk as a great way of tapping into the accumulated wisdom of so many highly experienced enthusiasts, so don't let me down, folks!

Thanks

Keiron

How does it feel?... to be without a home. .. like a complete unknown. .. like a rolling stone?

Milenco Grand Areo are the best I've had in 26 years and I've tried a few.

Convex for me as I can then see much wider.

I looked into it, and bought the Milenco Aero, flat glass they fit easily

and give me a good view. Replacement heads easily available

Its a no contest. Milenco Aero flat glass on my S Max. Did over 2000 miles in France last year after fitting, could not fault them, steady as a rock and fantastic view

The amount of vibration will depend on how well engineered the existing wing mirrors are.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Milenco Aero's for me too, but I have flat on the drivers side and convex on the passenger side, the convex gives you a better / wider view of the nearside, where as the flat is fine for the drivers side (its all to do with the agle you're looking at it!

Milenco Aeros both flat as you I prefer the view of the flat glass had my set for years. When we changed to the Virginia being wider I bought the longer arms for them and I think in the near future get some Grand Aero heads for them. The milenco's were my first choice mainly due to very good reviews and the good availability of spares.

http://www. milenco. com/products/spares/

Edited by dave11a

Milenco Aero's for me too, but I have flat on the drivers side and convex on the passenger side, the convex gives you a better / wider view of the nearside, where as the flat is fine for the drivers side (its all to do with the agle you're looking at it!

I too have one of each but I use them the other way round! Convex on the offside to catch anything overtaking more easily, and flat on the near side to more accurately see when it's safe to pull back in after overtaking.

Of course they need swapping over when you cross the channel!

But the Aeros are really good. They are well engineered and hold the car mirrors with no fear of detachment. I get very little vibration. I can retract the mirrors when on a ferry and they rest against the window glass safely out of the way. Well worth the price I think.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Over the years of towing a caravan I have tried various mirrors including the Milenco Aero, I have finally settled down to a pair of MGI mirrors made by Milenco which retail out at approx £20 a pair, there is 1 x convex and 1 x flat mirror. I find there is very little vibration using them as they are clamped ( just like the Milenco Aero ) on the top of the car mirror and there is a second security being two rubber straps that go round the back of the car mirror and clamp at the bottom front of car mirror. ..I thoroughly recommend them especially at the average retail price.

Hope this helps

Ian

I agree that the Grand Aero are good but they didn't seem too suited to my D Max, though I know another D Max owner on here likes them. I didn't feel they would clamp tightly enough on the unusual shape mirrors I have and indeed one blew off! I now use Reich (thanks Dave) and although they don't perform as well as the Milenco they stay anchored a lot better and are good enough.

If the Grand Aero fit well on your car then sure go for them. Any decent dealer will let you try them on before buying

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Milenco Grand Areo are the best I've had in 26 years and I've tried a few.

Convex for me as I can then see much wider.

Me too. Although I'll qualify that by saying 'best door-mounted mirrors'. I still hanker after the old Raydyot wing-mounted mirrors (now illegal).

hawkaye :beardy:

I have used the suck it and see mirrors (flat) and find them fantastic. good price not too expensive, quick and easy to put on, good vision and steady as a rock (I have used them 6 different vehicles)

Hope this helps

Stu

2014 SsangYong Turismo ES tugging
Compass Kensington 866 2017 Bailey Senator Carolina S5 with Powrtouch 4 AWD
Wife, Daughter and 2 Sons and a dog called Meg

Loads of great feedback, thanks everyone!

It sounds like Milenco Grand Aero are very well recommended by the majority of people responding, so I will try those.

Keiron

How does it feel?... to be without a home. .. like a complete unknown. .. like a rolling stone?

Loads of great feedback, thanks everyone!

It sounds like Milenco Grand Aero are very well recommended by the majority of people responding, so I will try those.

Keiron

Having now sold our caravan, we have a set of Grand Aeros with flat mirrors for sale, only covered 600 miles with them attached. Also have a pair of replacement convex heads for sale, used for 50 miles. . PM if interested.

Must get round to putting some other gear in the for section of the forum ;) .

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I have used the suck it and see mirrors (flat) and find them fantastic. good price not too expensive, quick and easy to put on, good vision and steady as a rock (I have used them 6 different vehicles)

Hope this helps

Stu

I use these too - great for adjusting as they move with the glass on the wing mirrors. . You just need to make sure the glass is dry or they don't stick!

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for Milenco Grand Aero. I have flat offside, convex nearside. I spend so much time in the nearside lane that real distance offside is more important to me. I like convex nearside to watch for curbs when turning. My first mirrors were maypole - utter rubbish.

Grand Aero for me too. I tried the flat ones but couldnt get to grips with them so changed to the convex which suit me fine. I now have two spare grand aero mirrors.

Sorry to be different but we have a Range Rover Sport and found the best driving mirrors were those supplied by Land Rover. They are vehicle specific, so fit perfectly, they do not wobble, and still allow you to adjust the main car wing mirrors with the add on mirrors attached. These mirrors are only available from Land Rover. Perhaps checking to see if your vehicle manufacturer supplies vehicle specific mirrors might be the first option, because as far as I can see all aftermarket mirrors will be a compromise, however they might be suited to a particular vehicle.

• 1 year later...

Thanks everyone once again for the great tips!

One year and 5,000 towing miles later at home and abroad, and the Milenco Grand Aeros with flat glass haven't let me down.

After initial setup they are a doddle to put on and take off, and usually don't need adjusting - although when they do, the nearside can sometimes take a few attempts, possibly because of the flat glass and thus narrow field of view.

I could be tempted to go for convex on the nearside next time, for this reason alone, were it not for my obsession with being able to accurately judge the distance from vehicles I've overtaken.

They do vibrate a bit, but less than my old motorbike mirrors did, and not enough to cause a problem - I can't read the number plate of following vehicles, but I can clearly see they are there.

If looking for absolute perfection I may take Midsman1's advice next time and check whether Ford make a custom mirror for the S-Max which is rock solid, but I'll probably leave it until my next towcar.