Bilbao To Nerja

Landing at Bilbao in a couple of weeks and driving down to Nerja, but not taking the caravan on this trip. A couple of questions for seasoned travellers:

I see from viaMichelin that there's a toll of 21 euros from Bilbao to Burgos - can anyone recommend a toll free route ?

What's the best route to get past Madrid ?

I'll be approaching on the A1 and heading for the A4 on the way down, mid morning on a Friday. Return trip will be a Wednesday afternoon.

Land Rover is now back towing.

we went down last August from Burgos to Nerja we went straight thru Madrid just follow the signs for A4 Granada

The toll free route should be ok without the van but might be slow as a lot of HGV's use it. Regadring Madrid: use the M50 out towards the airport it adds about 10 miles but is worth it . I have described it here

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

I've been doing the journey from Bilbao/Santander or the border each year for the past 20 years, usually pulling my caravan. For the sake of saving a few euros, it isn't worth the hassle of negotiating the towns and villages on the non-toll route. I've just put the journey from Santurzi to Burgos into my M/S AutoRoute. It gives the non-toll road as 103 miles and the toll road as 105miles. Time for the drive for a solo car on the toll road is 1hr. 38mins and on the N-roards as 2hrs. 20mins.

Regarding Madrid - although the journey on the inner ring roads can be quite quick, at other times the traffic is very heavy and slow moving. I usually opt for the M50 which is much less congested. To use the M50 leave the A1 at junction 21 and jjoin the A4 at junction 17. Just follow the signs for Cordoba.

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Many thanks for this very helpful advice - I have decided to stump up the toll to Burgos because of the time saving, and I will use the M50/M45 east of Madrid.

I have also bookmarked David in Cheshire's blog because we plan to take the van down to Conil (or thereabouts) in the Autumn. We did this in 2012 and went from Burgos via Valadolid and Caceres, but there aren't a lot of caravan sites in the right places on that route.

I have decided to stump up the toll to Burgos

A wise decision. I would imagine the N-road route very similar to the N1 from San Sebastian to Alsasua before it was converted to dual carriageway. Very hilly; lots of bends and few opportunities to overtake, thus reducing speed to that of the slowest HGV.

You are fortunate that you are not in Nerja this weekend. Yesterday, and last night in particular we've had 36 hours of continuous rain. Between midnight and 3am we had constant thunderstorm with torrential rain. Today between the showers we are clearing mud from our awnings.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Sounds like the trip I had through Germany last May.

This trip is a bit of an indulgence - staying in an hotel. And no I don't fly.