Different Battery Types Info

caravantechnology

Morning All,

My names Dave and i am a salesman and technical engineer for an online company that has supplied portable power products in the UK and worldwide for the past decade . Inverters, battery charger, batteries, solar panels and much more.

Joined a while back but have not been very active, Have joined Caravan Talk to help the leisure market with my experience and advice as well as meeting all you fine people. ......

Batteries are a huge part of any portable vehicle and choosing the correct type could save you hundreds of pounds

The most common battery for Marine, RV and solar applications is the lead-acid battery, but there are many kinds. First let's look at what makes them similar: Lead acid batteries use an electrolyte that consists of sulphuric acid, and plates made up of lead to chemically store electrons. These batteries consist of cells tied together to provide an adequate amount of electrical energy storage for the need. The lead acid battery stores a relatively large amount of power, for a relatively long time, in a relatively small space. This portable power makes these batteries ideal for these applications.

So what makes these batteries different?

Even though inside all AGM, GEL and flooded batteries contain lead acid, the internal construction of the battery divides them into their respective categories.

Absorbed Glass Matte or "AGM" batteries are the latest and greatest in lead-acid batteries. An AGM battery uses a separator consisting of fiberglass between the plate and wrappers to hold the electrolyte in its place with capillary action. Combining the lead plates, electrolyte, and fiber glass separation fibers in a confined space, AGM batteries create a "physical bond" by way of capillary action. Similar to how water creeps up a towel when it is put in a bathtub. This capillary action holds the liquid inside the glass matting, making the AGM Battery "spill proof" if it is ever exposed. Due to the tight packing of an AGM battery, it is also the most impact resistant, and boasts the least internal resistance. The lower internal resistance increases the output voltage, decreases charging time, and reduces losses to heat as power flows through the system. AGM Batteries then bring the trump card to the table, they are maintenance free. Premium AGM batteries recombine the gases produced internally, back into liquid. This recombination makes the AGM battery maintenance free. No acid leaks, no mess while charging, no corrosion on surrounding parts. You plug in these batteries and walk away. AGM batteries can do anything that flooded and GEL batteries can do, just better.

Flooded or "wet cell" batteries are the most commonly used batteries on the market today. Flooded batteries come in the widest variety of shapes and sizes due to their widespread usage in a multitude of industries and applications. Flooded batteries again use lead plates, a sulphuric acid electrolyte, and plate separators but that is where it stops. Usually flooded batteries are not sealed, and do not recombine the gases to liquids internally. Instead, these gases are vented externally. Internal gases produced are released directly to the environment. Through these same vents can flow acid, steam, and condensation, leading to maintenance. Flooded batteries do require maintenance, in the form of water, to routinely replenish lost electrolyte through the vents. Lead plates start to deteriorate when they touch the atmosphere, so if you fail to maintain your batteries, they will corrode and fail. Flooded batteries hold very good rates of charge for the price, but require more work. Unfortunately due to the internal construction, flooded batteries have the weakest internal construction, and some very high internal resistance statistics.

GEL cell batteries are also sealed just like the AGM battery listed above. That is where the similarities end. A GEL battery uses a silica (sand) to turn the sulphuric acid into a jelly like substance. This jelly is then used as the electrolyte. Great care must be taken with GEL batteries not to expose them to high amperage situations. High amperage situations can literally 'SCAR' the jelly inside of a GEL battery, creating a pocket. These pockets allow the plates to begin corroding, leading to premature failure. GEL batteries should not be used for fast charging/discharging, or high amperage charging/discharging situations. Use the other types listed above for these high amperage situations. GEL Batteries are slightly stronger in regards to internal construction than a flooded battery, but pale in comparison to the physical strength of an AGM battery.

In order to understand the difference in performance between each battery type it is best to use the Watt-Hours they are rated at.

Edited by caravantechnology

I have a gel battery, 5 years warranty works marvellously. Is this the AGM type you are talking about?..Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

HAHAHAHA good old ***** yes i know this company very very well and the man who owned the company. we were one of the largest UK distributors for them. ..

They offered there standard lead acid battery range which was suppose to use carbon fibre technology to improve performance, however the batteries were in fact just high quality lead acid batteries and the claims made about them where not completely true. .. AGM batteries but nothing special. .....

They went bust towards then end of last year as they had supplier problems and terrible customer service 9/10 they would not agree with the 5 year warranty and would try to blame it on human error. .. the last few months of trading they changed supplier due to problems with money we presume and started shipping poor quality lead acid batteries with made in Korea on overall the whole company was a shamble and the batteries they offered where of standard design and quality . They were just a brand of batteries and nothing more. ..

Our company now supplies Exide batteries whose quality is second to none in both the marine and caravan market. . Exide are a battery manufacturer and offer market leading technology and reliability across there range of Lead acid, AGM and Gel batteries

I've got a 3 year old battery and it's on the way out. I guess the warranty is kaput: oh well. Thanks for the post Dave from now on be prepared to be inundated with queries! Shame the Exide only have two year warranty.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

I've got a 3 year old battery and it's on the way out. I guess the warranty is kaput: oh well. Thanks for the post Dave from now on be prepared to be inundated with queries! Shame the Exide only have two year warranty.

My 110ah Exide leisure only lasted 11 years :(

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Do you supply those funny shaped batteries with the red, yellow or blue tops? :D I have 2 of the yellow tops in my 110 and want one for the missus' Discovery. If so, how much? Local dealer charges £195 each for them. :blink:

My 110ah Exide leisure only lasted 11 years :(

That's awful. .. :lol::lol::lol:

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

The photo's on the above, sorry I can't quote it, look as if Excide are the older high height batteries I prefer the low height leisure batteries which are easier to place in caravan battery boxes and fit clip on cables.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Tayna batteries sell Exide batteries considerably cheaper than Caravantechnology!

knarf

Tayna batteries are only cheaper on the smaller batteries as they are battery retailer they can afford to stock more we sell a range of products . . However our prices are better than Tanya on the larger batteries. Please note all our prices include 48 hour delivery where as Tayna has a added delivery cost.

HAHAHAHA good old ***** yes i know this company very very well and the man who owned the company. we were one of the largest UK distributors for them. ..

They offered there standard lead acid battery range which was suppose to use carbon fibre technology to improve performance, however the batteries were in fact just high quality lead acid batteries and the claims made about them where not completely true. .. AGM batteries but nothing special. .....

As I recall those batteries were never marketed as AGM but had 'carbon fibre' dividers which is not quite the same thing although nothing was done to dispel the myth. .

Most modern batteries are 'maintenance free' because of recombinant technology which consists of a higher electrolyte level and free space above the plates. They also have valves to restrict gassing which makes them relatively spill resistant.

Flooded SLAs are the budget end of the car and leisure market but do have some useful factors such as cost, the ability to top up and check the specific gravity.

Horses for courses.

As I recall those batteries were never marketed as AGM but had 'carbon fibre' dividers which is not quite the same thing although nothing was done to dispel the myth. .

Most modern batteries are 'maintenance free' because of recombinant technology which consists of a higher electrolyte level and free space above the plates. They also have valves to restrict gassing which makes them relatively spill resistant.

Flooded SLAs are the budget end of the car and leisure market but do have some useful factors such as cost, the ability to top up and check the specific gravity.

Horses for courses.

The orange top batteries were not AGM they where the carbon fibre batteries well in actually fact just Lead acid batteries there was nothing special about "*****" battery it was all propaganda. . a one man band in an old office in Liverpool. .. however the yellow top AGM batteries where of average quality and design

Edited by Grandpa Steve

Tayna batteries are only cheaper on the smaller batteries as they are battery retailer they can afford to stock more we sell a range of products . . However our prices are better than Tanya on the larger batteries. Please note all our prices include 48 hour delivery where as Tayna has a added delivery cost.

I checked the price of an Exide ER 550 on Tayna Batteries and it is £101. 12 inc delivery the Exide ER 550 on Caravantechnology website is £128. 94!

knarf

I checked the price of an Exide ER 550 on Tayna Batteries and it is £101. 12 inc delivery the Exide ER 550 on Caravantechnology website is £128. 94!

knarf

Yes you are correct however if you check the EXIDE Larger AGM and Gel and larger batteries we are cheaper,,, as mentioned above this is because Tayna solely supply batteries. ... caravan Technology supply a large range of portable power products :-)

The point is this is a caravan forum and in general the larger batteries aren't extensively used in caravans.

knarf