Paella Pan For Cadac Safari Chef

Nigelw

I have just bought a Cadac Safari Chef and have a couple of questions which I hope someone will be able to answer.

I have been browsing through previous posts and the use of paella pans seems to be a quite common, so what size paella pans are being used with the Safari Chef model. It says in the instruction leaflet that the max size pan is 230 mm, which seems a bit on the small side for a paella pan.

The second question is about the deflector plates. It appears that these have to be used with the griddle / frying plate, and when using it as a BBQ a second deflector plate is used. Does it take a long time to cook anything when theses are used?

Hope someone can help

Nigel

Hi there,

We have a Safari Chef and I don't think you can get a paella pan for it - we've looked but it's not listed in the accessories.

Re the deflector plate - this is only needed if you are cooking on the wire grill, like a BBQ. You need this to deflect the heat and also to stop fat dripping on to the burner. It's not needed when you use the grill plate, either side. The fat from this runs off the edges (ribbed side), down into the circular ring, which is always used, unless just using the burner to heat a saucepan etc. We recommend putting some cold water in this rim before cooking as it prevents any fat from burning onto the ring and, when you've finished cooking, it all fits in the sink to wash - brilliant!

Enjoy.

Glen.

Edit - no it doesn't take longer to cook using the plate - we have now discovered that using it like an oven, with the lid on, is also very effective. We set it up like a BBQ, deflector plate and wire grill, then put our meat (or fish in foil) on the grill, cover with the lid and leave - 20 mins for some nice salmon fillets in foil.

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

A friend bought my safari chef (used once) off me when I bought the bigger one, he saw me using my new paella pan, I'd already told him they didn't do one for his so he nipped into town and came back with a large heavy duty frying pan, fits perfect and he has the bonus of a handle too.

He got lucky as he hadn't measured up beforehand but he said it if didn't fit then it'd come in handy at home.

The cadac paella pan is the 2nd best piece of kit in my van.

Bottle opener/cork screw being number 1

Phil

A friend bought my safari chef (used once) off me when I bought the bigger one, he saw me using my new paella pan, I'd already told him they didn't do one for his so he nipped into town and came back with a large heavy duty frying pan, fits perfect and he has the bonus of a handle too.

He got lucky as he hadn't measured up beforehand but he said it if didn't fit then it'd come in handy at home.

The cadac paella pan is the 2nd best piece of kit in my van.

Bottle opener/cork screw being number 1

Phil

Totally agree!

As above also you don't have to use the Cadac one, its just made to fit but any size pan that fits into the rim will be fine. A paella pan is just a flat bottomed wide with low rim pan, and works really well on the larger Easi Chef

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

The paella pan just about, with some care, fits through the width of the door of the caravan when carrying hot food in from outside; any bigger and it would be a problem.

Thank you for your contributions.

I have made some measurements, done a bit more research and as a result ordered a non stick paella pan. It appears that the dimensions quoted for these pans refers to the diameter at the top, and typically they taper by about 50 mm from top to bottom. I have ordered a 340 cm pan, and I am hoping that it will sit snugly in the outer ring on the safari chef. It will be used mainly for breakfasts, but I might try using it for its intended purpose occasionally.

Nigel

We've cooked all sorts in ours, I'm a pro when it comes to breakfasts, know exactly when to add items so its all done at once. Curries, spaghetti bol, steaks, omelette, stir fry's, crepes etc etc etc and of course the best paella this side of our pitch.

Phil

Ps, glad you're sorted

Edited by Phil O

I have just noticed my typing error. The pan size should be 34 cm, not 340 cm, that would be more like a parasol than a cooking implement.

However the pan has been received and I am happy to say that it fits nicely inside the outer ring. Can't wait to try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nigelw. Does your paella pan have a pair of handles? Does the Cadac lid still fit? The reason I ask is because I have a Safari Chef too, and I would like to a Paella pan but I want to be able to use the lid. I have the roasting dish and it's ok but has a ribbed bottom and isn't suitable for paella etc. Prhaps you could let me know the purchase details? Thanks.

Ern

Nigelw. Does your paella pan have a pair of handles? Does the Cadac lid still fit? The reason I ask is because I have a Safari Chef too, and I would like to a Paella pan but I want to be able to use the lid. I have the roasting dish and it's ok but has a ribbed bottom and isn't suitable for paella etc. Prhaps you could let me know the purchase details? Thanks.

The pan does have a pair of nice shiny red handles.

The Cadac lid completely fits inside the paella pan, but the handles of the lid contact the sides of the pan and allows the lid to rock about a bit. I think that this could damage the non-stick surface so I might have a look round for an alternative lid.

The pan brand is "Garcima". It is 34 cm, non-stick, bought on line for about £23 including delivery, and came with a free 1kg bag of paella rice.

The paella pan just about, with some care, fits through the width of the door of the caravan when carrying hot food in from outside; any bigger and it would be a problem.

You could pass it in through a window!

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

• 4 months later...

I am considering buying a Safari Chef as we currently have a full size Carri chef, but we have downsized and the 2 teenage kids don't want to come with us any more.

I looked at them yesterday in Go outdoors, but I could not part with the cash. I did notice though that they had some paella pans that actually fit this model. That's what was putting me off owning one, because that's the most widely used item on our current model, so I might be convinced to part with the cash once there is a 25% off weekend at Go outdoors.

PS can you use Butane gas for these as we use a gas bar-b-q adaptor that fits to the supply in the van?

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

• 2 weeks later...

PS can you use Butane gas for these as we use a gas bar-b-q adaptor that fits to the supply in the van?

Yes, butane's fine as long as the correct regulator is fitted.