Sign in to follow this  
gumdrop

Replacing My Compact Camera

I need to replace my little SonyDSC-W50 only 6 mega pixels,

but it has a sharp lens.

I made the mistake of studying the reviews, you would not

think they were talking about the same cameras!

Most of my photos are landscapes or people so the zoom range

only needs to be 24-150 (ish) I like close ups of insects etc. without

getting too close but many of the cameras have no filter threads for

diopter lenses.

My short list changes according to the available finances.

Fuji X20

Lumix LX7

Canon G15

Sony X100

I have not considered the mirrorless interchangable lens systems

as I will end up with a pile of kit in a bag, I still have my Nikon D80

with 70-300mm tele zoom, sigma 105 macro and 18-70 standard lens.

I am put off by the number of zoom compacts that I have seen with

"lens error" Has anyone owned and used frequently any of the above

cameras?

The compact camera market has been substantially compromised by smart phones with highly capable cameras; have you looked at that alternative approach?

I hardly ever use a mobile phone, I was just getting interested

when everyone wanted your mobile number on every document

then the spamming began.

So I reasoned if people want to contact me they know my address,

they can call around, if they don't it ain't that important.

I have a Sony Ericsson with 3 mega pixels camera, that is pay as you go.

I would choose the Canon G15. I have had a couple of Canon Powershot G models to supplement my DSLR's. Currently using a G11. Wonderful bit of kit. My boy is still using my old G5 without issue.

Educating a guess that the G15 will be just as good.

Edited by daineseboy

I have an iXus 105 which is the third of its ilk but must admit I have been looking at G11 or larger for shipspotting pictures. .

geoff

Another Canon fan here, had a couple of compact canons to back up my main camera, and have always been impressed, I have always found that no matter what the bells and whistle sheets say the image from the Canon is what really counts. I considered the Lumix last time after reading the spec's and reviews, but viewing a friends Lumix pic's put me back in the Canon camp again.

Hi gumdrop. The point that Fenester has made is an extremely worthwhile one. It is so worthwhile that even if you don't use the phone for other than calls and images they are well worth having.

The lens in both the S2 & S3 are very very good but not Carl Zeiss as in my Nokia N73 3. 2meg (wonderful).

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and have also had the S2. They are both 1st class on the image front and will allow really very close work via the zoom-in facilities.

I also have regular photographic equipment that includes my old Yashica 230AF with a 35-70 and a 70-210. This is a really very very good system with multiple focusing modes and has both 'Trap Focus' and an amazing 'Macro' capability,but it is heavy and needs carrying around with a gadget bag for all of the kit and film.

I also have a Fuji FinePix S5700,a nice little piece of kit for general snap,snap,snap. It has a dedicated carry case that is capable of holding spare regular 2000mah or pro 2100mah eneloop (Sanyo Corporation) batteries.

The main advantages/benefits of the S2 &S3 are simply that they are flat and will go into a pocket or will store easily into a stomach/Hip Bag (Bum Bag).

My only observation/criticism with the Samsung Kies system is that it is very temperamental and continually wants to download updates. The images of course can be transferred using a card reader.

I have just bought a new Trust Stello Mini Card Reader

card reader from Maplin,it is just like a Pen-drive and handles a massive range of cards and all for only £14. 99. It is one that does not need drivers installing.

I have a Sony DSC RX100. Not sure if you are referring to this or another just called the X100.

If you are looking at the camera I have then I am sure you would not be disappointed with the extent of its controllability and the quality of both lens and sensor.

I use it both underwater when diving (in housing of course!) and when out and about but not wishing to carry a bag and my SLR.

It's certainly pocket-able and an excellent piece of kit. There are numerous reviews around of course - I'm sure you've read them - but the bottom line is that you have a wide range of control including customisable buttons etc. The sensor is massive and the lens sharp. It shoots RAW which for me is a real benefit.

If you are particularly lazy there are two automatic settings, one a tad cleverer than the other! I must admit I can be lazy. .....!!!

Generally very happy with the camera.

I am a Canon fan for most things cameras, but for a compact camera I would think of anything other than a panasonic. The panasonic you mention is much much better than the canon G15. As far as cameras on phones are concerned in some situations they are fine, not as good as my canon or my panasonic but adequate. But my nokia lumia 800 with a carl zeiss lens is not a patch on the panasonic in any situation.

Try www. dpreview. com and do a side by side review. Think the Sony Rx100 scored top marks in a poll just before Christmas.

I have a Sony DSC RX100. Not sure if you are referring to this or another just called the X100.

If you are looking at the camera I have then I am sure you would not be disappointed with the extent of its controllability and the quality of both lens and sensor.

I use it both underwater when diving (in housing of course!) and when out and about but not wishing to carry a bag and my SLR.

It's certainly pocket-able and an excellent piece of kit. There are numerous reviews around of course - I'm sure you've read them - but the bottom line is that you have a wide range of control including customisable buttons etc. The sensor is massive and the lens sharp. It shoots RAW which for me is a real benefit.

If you are particularly lazy there are two automatic settings, one a tad cleverer than the other! I must admit I can be lazy. .....!!!

Generally very happy with the camera.

Yes that should have been an RX 100.

I have a Canon Powershot 260HS compact camera. It has 20x optical zoom and takes an excellent picture. I think it has been updated, Never had a phone that takes a decent picture including the iPhone. You can't beat a decent camera!!! :)

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Canon-PowerShot-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B00BYOY9DK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389886965&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+powershot+SX260

Got mine from Currys cheaper but think they have all gone. Now the SX280

Edited by Jslocks

I've had several Fujis. If they fail outside the warranty period, Fuji will replace for £50.

I nearly bought an RX100 (Mk 1) but went for a Canon S110 for its extra compactness. For landscapes the larger sensor of the Sony might be better, but there have been reports of dust getting sucked into the camera when the lens extends. (So keep it in a bag)

We all look at different aspects I look as ISO and f stop as tend to go walking in the woods. My wish list would be a 4/3rd but you say you don't want one of those. My Casio EX-Z600 rather old has worked well except when in bright sun light then really needs a view finder. But for macro I had great problems with focus. To be frank the D-SLR does not fair too well with focus and I switch to manual and set as close as it will go then move camera until in focus. My Casio was a real pain to access manual focus. Nikon play dirty tricks like firm ware upgrades which stop you using third party batteries and it would seem Cannon play the same sort of tricks so I would keep clear of them. Casio and Pentax have both released firm ware upgrades for cameras I have which have improved the camera with Casio quite a time after production stopped so seems they do look after their customers.

I know the Fuji X10, X20 have a very bright viewfinder,

in fact I think all the cameras I mentioned have a viewfinder

except the Sony. I am leaning very much to the Canon G16,

with the Fuji X20 a close second but they are both very expensive :o

I know the Fuji X10, X20 have a very bright viewfinder,

in fact I think all the cameras I mentioned have a viewfinder

except the Sony. I am leaning very much to the Canon G16,

with the Fuji X20 a close second but they are both very expensive :o

I'm happy with my Sony but would be equally happy with the G16. Fantastic bit of kit.

For this sort of money you really should get a top quality product. Whichever way you fall I am sure there will be many years of quality photography in store!

These images are from a Canon G12. I replaced it at Christmas with a G15 as I wanted the faster lens. Mrs F70100 has claimed ownership of the G12.

Camerapricebuster shows where the deals are. Whatever you choose, show us the results :)

post-33770-0-40824900-1389905999_thumb.jpg

post-33770-0-30770100-1389906009_thumb.jpg

post-33770-0-78852500-1389906019_thumb.jpg

post-33770-0-98880700-1389906036_thumb.jpg

They bought me a brilliant camera (apparently) for Christmas last year, I also have had a galaxy s2 & now have the s3, all the pictures are on my old computer, one day I'll retrieve them :rolleyes:

I'm now seriously thinking of getting my olympus SLR back out, what's made it come to the front is my grandaughter going through the photo album asking why I haven't any up to date photos :mellow:

These images are from a Canon G12. I replaced it at Christmas with a G15 as I wanted the faster lens. Mrs F70100 has claimed ownership of the G12.

Camerapricebuster shows where the deals are. Whatever you choose, show us the results :)

Those are some very nice photos, DSLR quality, well done

Thank you.

I have an Olympus TG2 compact. ...not cheap, but it's about as bullet proof as they come and fits in my pocket when out with the dogs in all winds and weathers. ... It has a very good lens for a waterproof camera. ..

Well I am torn now between the Canon G16 and the Fuji X20.

F70100, posted some impressive DSLR quality photos from

the G16, and it does have a longer telephoto reach.

Well I am torn now between the Canon G16 and the Fuji X20.

F70100, posted some impressive DSLR quality photos from

the G16, and it does have a longer telephoto reach.

Serves you right for asking! Smiles! ;)

Of course all of the cameras you are considering are top quality kit. It's the person who operates them that makes them superb!

Sign in to follow this