Max Weigh Upgrade Plates

Volvo Roger

I have a 2013 Pegasus GT65 Verona at the moment and it had a MTPM of 1448kg, with a payload of 158 kg.

As I have a motor mover and air con, solar panel on top of all the other rubbish that goes with having kids in a caravan, I ordered a weight plate up grade not long after getting the van.

I know it is only a sticker and certificate, with the only change being a slight increase in tyre presser, but it keeps it legal. This gave me an extra load of 52kg. For around £65.

We have had this van for a year now, and are looking to change to a Unicorn Barcelona for extra space and a bigger fridge to feed the kids. This van has a payload of 160 kg and you could add an extra 114kg with a new plate and I know this as I spoke to Bailey a few months ago and even got the part number.

Now that I have got the money for the new van I go to order it and have been told as of a few weeks or so Bailey no longer do up grade plates, as it would no longer meet the new European type approval if upgraded.

I spoke to two dealers, one said they had an email from Bailey saying this, checking on the web site they are no longer available and having spoken to Bailey to confirm this, I have no upgrade possible .

Has any one else found this, or am I being told porkys?

Is this only Bailey doing this, or as I suspect if law every one? What about older vans?

Roger

1998 V70R and 2002 Volvo V70 D5

New one on me. I have a 2012 Lunar and I upgraded it December 2012

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

How insane. The idea of a low MTPLM is to sell the vans to people whose cars are limited to what they can tow. Surely if Alko says chassis good for x amount then that is what they could be rated. Probably interpreted some bizarre Euro communication wrongly, or perhaps they just can't be bothered.

I inquired about upgrading a twin axle Bailey I was interested in: they said no problem just pay us £63 for a sticker. Dear sticker: I'll go elsewhere.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Caravans now have to meet type approval and are submitted for testing at a MTPLM to have weight increase plates now after 2013 they need type approval at the increased weight which would cost a manufacturer each time they submit for testing.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I had just sent off my order to upgrade my 2013 Olympus online through bailey yesterday. Will see if they send it next week.

As I said in the first post my 2013 gt65 was fine to upgrade, but the 2014 version of very same van can not be upgraded. The same for both years of the unicorn. The dealer coud not tell me if this stopping of upgrade plates is retrospective to older vans. I. E. If I did not already have one on my 2013 GT65 would I be still be able to get one, as I could not find it on the Bailey parts web site, where I got it last year.

Roger

Just read up on the type approval and as it doesn't come into force until April 2014 you would think they could offer it until then?

Coachman . ... still have the option listed on . ... their Price List . .... £35. 00

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

We paid Bailey for the up grade on our 2012 twin axle Pamplona. Just so we can pack it to it's max weight. SWMBO packs everything.

I can only presume they are going to send them out from the factory now with what ours should have come out with. Max weight allowed. I could never understand how the sticker could alter the Towing limit of the van ???

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

I can confirm this is the case, though I cant find the e-mail on my computer that tells me exactly why!

Think this is what you are looking for.

In order to gain type approval we must declare specific maximum weights in the documentation and no variation in these figures will be accepted under the legislation. Consequently, now that type approval is mandatory for all new caravans, it is no longer possible to offer the Max Load weight plate upgrade option on the following caravan ranges:

Unicorn Series I

Unicorn Series II

Pegasus GT65

Pursuit Series I

This option is still available however on selected models from earlier product ranges and all existing upgrades purchased remain valid.

We paid Bailey for the up grade on our 2012 twin axle Pamplona. Just so we can pack it to it's max weight. SWMBO packs everything.

I can only presume they are going to send them out from the factory now with what ours should have come out with. Max weight allowed. I could never understand how the sticker could alter the Towing limit of the van ???

its because nearly all manufacture's have a "declared" weight and a "maximum" weight, they put it as the "declared" weights from the factory so it is able to be towed by a larger variety of vehicles, thus more sales opportunity, but they allow customer to upgrade to the "maximum" if they choose.

Type Approval for 01/02 trailers was from Oct 2013. .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

This is getting to be stupid, and yet another reason for hanging onto my 9 year old caravan uprated to its maximum carrying capacity, or put it another way, a potential sale of a new caravan lost.

I think the only answer is for manufacturers to build ranges of weights of caravan, but plated to the maximum carrying capacity of the components they are made from. It is then up to caravanner's to use common sense, information and education to decide on the appropriate weight of caravan they can tow. I don't see motor vehicles plated down to less than their carrying potential, so in a grown-up world why should a caravan be?

I should state the education part could commence with improving the knowledge of some dealers.

John.

This really will stir things up.

I am still waiting for Swift to explain why their Challenger 570 has a payload of only 170kg (after plate upgrade) compared to their export model Cruzer 495 with a payload of 300kg. They are identical spec (apart from handing), identical MIRO. ...just bigger MTPLM and hence payloads. Think I need to buy Dutch!

Think this is what you are looking for.

In order to gain type approval we must declare specific maximum weights in the documentation and no variation in these figures will be accepted under the legislation. Consequently, now that type approval is mandatory for all new caravans, it is no longer possible to offer the Max Load weight plate upgrade option on the following caravan ranges:

Unicorn Series I

Unicorn Series II

Pegasus GT65

Pursuit Series I

This option is still available however on selected models from earlier product ranges and all existing upgrades purchased remain valid.

Swift have posted a reply to a question on their forum and they have a different interpretation, and will still be offering weight upgrades.

John.

Edited by John19

If Swift are still offering upgrades and Bailey are essentially saying the opposite, who are we to believe? Swift are pretty unequivocal in their answer and it would appear that the suggestion is that Bailey don't understand the legislation. It would be very useful to have an unbiased official ruling on this for the sake of the most important people in the middle of this confusion - us, the buyers!

I asked the question of the technical Director at Swift and the reply was definite.

Swift will still be offering a weight plate upgrade where applicable

Over to Bailey. ........................................

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

Any trailer inc a caravan can be supplied by a manufacturer at different weight requirements to the buyer but they must have the type approval for the different weights for this reason it is now illegal to downplate a trailer which was legal before.

People with only a b licence would down plate a large trailer to be legally under the 3500kg limit on outfit weight.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Last week I emailed Lunar about a couple of their caravans and as part of the enquiry asked about the MTPLM upgrade. They confirmed that the MTPLM could be upgraded on both models and without cost if specified at the time of ordering. Unfortunately the ex-works noseweights were again way too high, so another manufacturer off the list!

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

Any trailer inc a caravan can be supplied by a manufacturer at different weight requirements to the buyer but they must have the type approval for the different weights for this reason it is now illegal to downplate a trailer which was legal before.

People with only a b licence would down plate a large trailer to be legally under the 3500kg limit on outfit weight.

Dave[/quote

Who's right then - Bailey or Swift?

Dave[/quote

Who's right then - Bailey or Swift?

Both?

If a caravan manufactuer decides to market only a single 'type approved' version of a model then weight changes will not be possible. Another manufacturer may decide that there is a market for various weights on a model and 'type approve' them.

I seem to recall that type approval permits variations but need to do a search to find it and no time at the moment to access the documents.

Edited by beejay

I will await your definitive response when you have been able to access it beejay. Thankyou.

Edited by B1ngo

It looks like no Air Con or 4WD mover on the new van.

Still I am sure I will live. Will make it better to tow.

If I had ordered a few months ago I could of had the use of an other 114 kg.

Roger