Warranty Work..

scotsstag

Hello there, I purchased a new GT65 Rimini in the autumn and after a short break noticed a couple of faults/breakages. The blind between the kitchen and bedroom is broken and so is a window strut on a front window.

Anyway on our way home we called at our local Bailey dealer (they are NOT the dealer we purchased from) and asked when they could carry out our small amount of work under warranty. They answered by saying that they would not carry out the work until the caravans first service as they were not the selling dealer. If I wanted the work done in the first year of ownership then it had to be returned to the selling dealer. In addition to this they also said that if I didn't use them for servicing they would not carry out the warranty work at all !!!!.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong or being stupid but I thought that it was this sort of scenario that a Nationwide Dealer Network was used for ?

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

No, it's perfectly normal for this industry.

Your non-supplying dealer can call any shots he feels like.

Covered on about a billion threads on CT previously. Because caravan manufacturers don't pay very generously for warranty work a lot of dealers prefer to use their workshop time on servicing and looking after their own customers' problems. Car makers tend to pay better for warranty work so car dealers are happy to carry it out on vans they haven't sold.

Some caravan dealers will help: possibly hoping you will be impressed and go back to them for your next purchase. Always worth buying locally if you can get a decent deal.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Generally the supplying dealer has the responsibility to cover any faults during the first 12 months although Bailey do have a network of dealers who can do warranty work - perhaps Bailey will only reimburse the supplying dealer in the first year.

We've just used a different dealer for our second service and he sorted out a grab handle light and even managed to find stuff and fix that I hadn't noticed - gas struts on the Heki rooflight and a couple of missing screws all under warranty.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

The simple facts about caravan warranty is that your contract is with your supplying dealer alone.

It is they who are responsible for all warranty work during the warranty period.

No other workshop needs to get involved, as many will not if you have not bought from them in the first place.

They will always favour their regular customers, quite rightly.

The simple facts about caravan warranty is that your contract is with your supplying dealer alone.

It is they who are responsible for all warranty work during the warranty period.

No other workshop needs to get involved, as many will not if you have not bought from them in the first place.

They will always favour their regular customers, quite rightly.

. .... that's just fine and dandy . .... BUT . ... what happens when your supplying dealer . .... goes pop, bust, belly-up . ...??

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

. .... that's just fine and dandy . .... BUT . ... what happens when your supplying dealer . .... goes pop, bust, belly-up . ...??

Cheers

Pete

Then, You're on your own

You are reliant on the goodwill of another dealer if he chooses to offer help, or maybe Bailey will make provision to help via other local companies, as Swift do.

But read the recent Coachman posting and their 'tough luck' policy.

Then, You're on your own

But read the recent Coachman posting and their 'tough luck' policy.

. ... oh thanks . ... deep joy . ... then . .....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Then I'm sure arrangements can be made, but that's where your choice of dealer or manufacturer can make all the difference between having a happy experience or a miserable one

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

As far as I know it all depends on the status of your chosen dealer and warranty work on Bailey Caravans can be undertaken by any Bailey Authorised Service Centre. However I think it is quite usual for dealers to put their own customers first. If you are stuck I'd suggest that you contact Bailey Caravans direct. I have had cause to do that in the past and I've found them to be very helpful.

Edited by Highlandman

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

You would wonder what we we do with a car wouldn't you, buy a car go on holiday get a problem, "oh no sir you've got to get it back to the dealer that sold it to you, we couldn't fix it under warranty could we? thats the way it used to be but those terrible people in the EU thought that this was a ridiculous situation for people to find themselves in and decided that a franchised dealer would be expected to honour the warranty on the vehicle whether or not they had sold it. So people bought cheap fords in Belgium and brought them back to the UK and had their local garage look after them.

Just when the caravan industry is going to realise that " I'm sorry but you've bought it and its nothing to do with us" just doesn't cut the mustard in the modern world, and just when are the "clubs" going to support a member drag one of the manufacturers through the courts and set a legal precedent that the others are going to have to follow?

Its not just the labour rate the manufactures pays, its the time allowed to do warranty work where you generally loose money as a dealer.

As said, as a dealer we will always put customers who have purchased from us first, and they will always continue to put them in front of those that haven't, they have spent a lot of money with us, so deserve the best customer care we can give them.

As harsh as this may sound, we have found many times over the years that a customer that has brought miles away for the best price, has and will never be loyal, no matter what lengths you go to to win their business.

You would wonder what we we do with a car wouldn't you, buy a car go on holiday get a problem, "oh no sir you've got to get it back to the dealer that sold it to you, we couldn't fix it under warranty could we?

Generally speaking I would like to think that most caravan dealers would help out in a situation like this if they could, we have done on a few occasions.

Edited by Caravantech

Its not just the labour rate the manufactures pays, its the time allowed to do warranty work where you generally loose money as a dealer. As said, as a dealer we will always put customers who have purchased from us first, and they will always continue to put them in front of those that haven't, they have spent a lot of money with us, so deserve the best customer care we can give them. As harsh as this may sound, we have found many times over the years that a customer that has brought miles away for the best price, has and will never be loyal, no matter what lengths you go to to win their business. Generally speaking I would like to think that most caravan dealers would help out in a situation like this if they could, we have done on a few occasions.

I have to disagree, it all comes down to money. You have a Bailey dealer 25 miles east of you who won't help anyone who didn't buy from them, and is quite proud of that. Even to the point that when I pointed out to him that on Baileys website, they call him a 'non transient dealer' which reflects a negative image, he got Bailey to remove the term.

Manufacturers should have the b. .. Courage to create a signed franchise agreement where you have to abide by agreed rules in return for an exclusive territory and other benefits.

Moved my warranty under the bailey transient warranty scheme when my first service was due as I was not impressed with the workmanship of my purchasing dealership. They had no problem transfering the warranty to themselves. Thing is with bailey the dealership will ordder the parts and you can fit them yourself ( within reason ) i wouldnt fit parts that void warranty (cupboard door, decals, door mat/frame) even ended up with a spare rear bumper/moulding and then i had to re fit the one the dealership installed they made a right pigs ear of it. They dont have to return the failed part back to the manufacturer unlike other manufacturers so keep them for spares.

Edited by langers8

Moved my warranty under the bailey transient warranty scheme when my first service was due as I was not impressed with the workmanship of my purchasing dealership. They had no problem transfering the warranty to themselves. Thing is with bailey the dealership will ordder the parts and you can fit them yourself as they dont have to return the failed part back to the manufacturer unlike other manufacturers

But that's my point,they shouldn't be given the option to be transient or non transient. It's a ridiculous state of affairs, and the manufacturers put up with it because they are afraid of dealer dropping them.

I can only speak from experience but all my warranty work was carried out without problem by a local Bailey approved workshop. Although I did wait until the first service.

Poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Thank to all that took the time to answer and give an opinion. It makes for interesting reading when answered from different sides of the fence. .

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

I use a Bailey registered mobile man for all my work - he came out when the vehicle was only 5 months old and sorted out the kitchen tap that kept trickling - no qualms at all - he gets the work approved by Bailey who then send him the parts - he then fits them and gets paid by Bailey. All I have to pay is his travelling (12 miles each way) which he didn't charge me for on his first visit as he was passing.

I have since used him for my first service and he picked up that some of the decals were starting to lift, so he photographed them and got clearance from Bailey to change them. He even tackles major work as he has access to an inside workshop so can take the van off to do major body repairs.

Needless to say, I havent been back to the dealership (a round trip of nearly 100 miles) and all work done on my drive without me having the hassel of towing it anywhere.

The only downside is that he is in great demand so services have to be booked months in advance but if you have real problems, he will go the extra mile and help you out.

Land Rover Freelander 2 SD4 XS and 2013 Bailey Unicorn S2 Valencia