Looking For Stopovers Near Caen & Le Mans

I'm route planning our first caravan holidays this year - Benodet at the end of May, and Labenne in mid August.

We're not new to driving through France, but this is our first time with caravan, so I'm looking for guidance and any hints on choosing stopover sites for the outward and return journeys.

The ideal locations would be Caen in May (hopefully not all booked up yet due to the D-Day anniversary the week after?) and Le Mans in August.

Thanks

Keiron

How does it feel?... to be without a home. .. like a complete unknown. .. like a rolling stone?

Keiron

We stopped over at Camping Le Puits last year on way to Vendee which is between Caen and Rennes

Nice site that has roll on roll off pitches for stopovers and has a nice bar menu and some beers/Guinesses and whiskys available from the Irish owners which makes a pleasant evening stopover. 2 minutes off the autoroute and a petrol station in village accessible by car/caravan combo

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Benodet, very nice if the weather is at all kind. I most definitly would be taking the bikes.

Just outside of Caen, by the Pegasus Bridge in Ranville we use and like the relaxed little site les capucines [not to be confused with the Bittany one of the same name]

http://campingdescapucines. com/contact

However Pegasus Bridge, D Day and the fact the site was one of the UK glider troops landing areas can lead to veterans gatherings. Great company but can place a bit of a load on the limited pitches however sadly there are are fewer each year, so possibly not an issue. Area is suitable for two or three day stopover as well as over nighting and madam is set up to deal with late ferries.

We usually overnight at the municipal at Beaumont sur Sarthe about 10 miles north of Le Mans, lovely little site beside the river, well used as a stopover. Alternately there is another municipal at Fresnay sur Sarthe a little bit further inland but also we'll recommended.

Jim

Ford Mondeo Zetec 140 TDCi pulling 2010 Swift Challenger 540

The Camping Municipal at La Fleche is fanstastic IMO.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Wow, so many great tips, we're spoilt for choice already! Thanks all, much appreciated, well check them out and add to our map.

We are probably going to be turning up around 7-8 pm, is that likely to be a problem?

How does it feel?... to be without a home. .. like a complete unknown. .. like a rolling stone?

We usually overnight at the municipal at Beaumont sur Sarthe about 10 miles north of Le Mans, lovely little site beside the river, well used as a stopover. Alternately there is another municipal at Fresnay sur Sarthe a little bit further inland but also we'll recommended.

Jim

Sorry, not got the hang of quoting yet, Jim!

There seem to be two sites at Beaumont sur Sarthe - Val de Sarthe, and Pont d'Orne - do you know which you stayed at? - thanks!

Benodet, very nice if the weather is at all kind. I most definitly would be taking the bikes.

Just outside of Caen, by the Pegasus Bridge in Ranville we use and like the relaxed little site les capucines [not to be confused with the Bittany one of the same name]

However Pegasus Bridge, D Day and the fact the site was one of the UK glider troops landing areas can lead to veterans gatherings. Great company but can place a bit of a load on the limited pitches however sadly there are are fewer each year, so possibly not an issue. Area is suitable for two or three day stopover as well as over nighting and madam is set up to deal with late ferries.

Thanks JTQ, we will definitely be taking the bikes! We last stayed in Benodet 8 or 9 years ago when our girls were toddlers, at Pointe de St Gilles, in a mobile home. We loved the walk in to town in the evenings, and enjoyed the restaurant at the other end of the beach.

Keiron

We stopped over at Camping Le Puits last year on way to Vendee which is between Caen and Rennes

Nice site that has roll on roll off pitches for stopovers and has a nice bar menu and some beers/Guinesses and whiskys available from the Irish owners which makes a pleasant evening stopover. 2 minutes off the autoroute and a petrol station in village accessible by car/caravan combo

Sounds perfect :)

Another vote for Beaumont sur Sarthe. We have been using this site as a stopover for over 30 years. I think it is Val de Sarthe.

It is very close to the town centre where you can get all the usual shopping. Ignore the signs about double axle vans, they don't really mean it! There is no need to book, just turn up.

Sounds perfect :)

No problem with late arrival - just let Peter know.

The others suggested will probably be cheaper but having the bar food and a couple of beers and a roll on roll off pitch two minutes from main autoroute was spot on for us. You will probably get some live music from Peter also in his snug !

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Hi RS, it is Val de Sarthe.

Jim

Ford Mondeo Zetec 140 TDCi pulling 2010 Swift Challenger 540

• 1 year later...

Hello again JTQ,

I'm delighted to say we enjoyed Benodet enormously and are going back again this year at the end of May - with bikes!

We didn't stay at Camping des Capucines last year, but are considering it this year.

Is the site straightforward to access with a large caravan in tow (7. 5 metres)?

Thanks in anticipation,

Keiron (aka Rolling Stone)

Hello again JTQ,

I'm delighted to say we enjoyed Benodet enormously and are going back again this year at the end of May - with bikes!

We didn't stay at Camping des Capucines last year, but are considering it this year.

Is the site straightforward to access with a large caravan in tow (7. 5 metres)?

Thanks in anticipation,

Keiron (aka Rolling Stone)

So please that you liked Benodet. Would have been off there in a couple of weeks time but things have not worked out again for a second year and we have had to cancel the ferries.

I access des Capucines at Ranville with an 8 metre LOA van towed by a Disco3, so it is quite possible. I prefer to come in from the North east end of the short road it is in; this gives a better line into the touring pitches.

Using Google maps paste in these lat/long coordinates to see the local route details.

So follow the D514 just beyond the roundabout to Ranville, to this location 49. 240441, -0. 254995, then hairpin back to the

site entrance at 49. 237969, -0. 257194. The touring pitches are around 49. 237846, -0. 257623.

You can see the access on Google "street view"; you need the left side barrier, hence the better line is in from the above direction. I works from the opposite direction but for our longer units I prefer as described. The hairpin off the D514 is a doddle.

So please that you liked Benodet. Would have been off there in a couple of weeks time but things have not worked out again for a second year and we have had to cancel the ferries.

I access des Capucines at Ranville with an 8 metre LOA van towed by a Disco3, so it is quite possible. I prefer to come in from the North east end of the short road it is in; this gives a better line into the touring pitches.

Using Google maps paste in these lat/long coordinates to see the local route details.

So follow the D514 just beyond the roundabout to Ranville, to this location 49. 240441, -0. 254995, then hairpin back to the

site entrance at 49. 237969, -0. 257194. The touring pitches are around 49. 237846, -0. 257623.

You can see the access on Google "street view"; you need the left side barrier, hence the better line is in from the above direction. I works from the opposite direction but for our longer units I prefer as described. The hairpin off the D514 is a doddle.

Wow, fantastic JTQ! Thanks ever so much for the quick reply and very useful info, I will definitely follow your advice on approach etc.

Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trips, I hope all is well with you and yours.

Regards, Keiron

Hi Keiron

If you are driving from Caen on to Benodet I would recommend the Municipal at Pont du Farcy which is just off the A84 at Junction 39. It is a lovely site right on the riverbank. We stopped there driving to/from Benodet in 2013 and received a very warm welcome from the warden.

If you want to see some of my pictures of it you can find them in my Brittany Holiday Journey Pt 1 here

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/caravan-holidays/journals/europe/brittany-part-1

We love Benodet and have stayed at Camping Du Letty numerous times. You can see my pics and comments on Benodet in my Brittany Holiday Journal Parts 3 and 4

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/caravan-holidays/journals/europe/brittany-part-3

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/caravan-holidays/journals/europe/brittany-part-4

Travelling to Le Mans I would give another vote for Beaumont Sur Sarthe. Like Pont Farcy, that too is a riverside site with the added bonus of a lovely village with some beautiful old buildings. We've stayed there a few times when travelling that way.

Give my love to Benodet as circumstances mean that we'll probably be staying in the UK this year :(

Regards

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tip, and your fantastic holiday blog - it's my ambition to do similar, but I just haven't got around to it yet.

We're booked in at Ranville now but will try Pont du Farcy another time - we're bound to be back!

From reading your blog I'm sure our paths must have crossed over the years, we've been many of the same places. We first went to Benodet when our girls were small back in 2004, and stayed at Point St Gilles on the headland between Benodet and Le Letty. We loved the walk into town of an evening - and we're going back there next week - can't wait :)

Originally we stayed in operator run statics, but moved to our own tent from 2006, up until the year before last when we upgraded to a new caravan - a move I've been planning for 50 years since I was 5 or 6 years old, when I visited my cousin, auntie and uncle in their caravan, and was hooked!

I'm definitely going to start my blog this year, you have inspired me, watch this space!

Thanks

Keiron

Hi Keiron

I'm glad you liked my Holiday Journal. I really enjoy doing them and Caravan Talk provides a free and easy platform - you'll see I've added quite a few.

Yes our paths may well have crossed in Benodet. We went to Benodet on our first trip to France in 1994 us and our 5 children, frame tent, etc, etc, jammed into a hired Nissan people carrier. We had originally planned to stay in northern Brittany but did not like the intended site and instead moved down to Benodet. We looked all day for a campsite that we liked and actually visited Du Letty when the tide was out and were'nt impressed. Later in the day still looking we went to the lookout point at Pointe St Gilles and saw Du Letty with the tide IN. It looked much better and so we returned for the first of many family holidays there, latterly with a caravan.

Our kids have now grown and flown and after a few years' break we returned to Du Letty in 2012 and 2013. We found the site even better with its new water park plus all our old favourites. We always find a struggle as to whether to try somewhere new or return to Du Letty or other old favourites!

Anyway have a super time in France and I look forward to seeing YOUR holiday journal/blog.

Kind regards

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks