Through France To Spain

First time user of ACSI and travelling last days of August arriving at Camping Aquarius, San Pere Pescador on Sept 1st.

Selected sites indicate a route from Calais as via A16 (Paris ring road) E15 and E05 south via Orlean/Nantes;

Then E09 (Vierzon) to E11 Which is marked as 'dangerous' on viamichelin and E15 again near Beziers twds Perpignan and Spain.

Any experience of this route and any comments on 'Dangerous' steep hill on E11?

Two sites planned for stopovers but nothing finalised. All help and advise appreciated.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

I assume it's the descent to Clermont-Herault from Millau, which is a doddle as long as your brakes are OK!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

From the north the A75 has a fairly steep incline climbing to about 1100 metres. The decent towards Beziers has quite a few nasty twists and turns and as a result has some pretty low speed limits for lorries and caravans in places. Been up and down in about 4 different cars over the years and all was fine with the exception that the Citroen Xantia got worryingly near the red on the temperature gauge climbing up from Bezier towards Millau.

Camping Aquarius is a very popular campsite so if you intend just arriving it might be best to have a plan B just in case, there are several sites in Sant Pere Pescador.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Agree with David I was on the site in June last year very busy but a good site. Re the route I would go via Rouen and then the toll free route via chartres dreux orlean etc done both several times and that is now my preferred route no way I would go anywhere near Paris.

phil

currently on La manga southern Spain.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Rouen (autoroutes round it, not through it!) Dreux, Chartres etc avoid Paris; in total agreement with earlier posts.

There are three main routes south and I have tried them all with the caravan.

Paris is to be avoided, I have made that mistake, thiught it would be OK in the early hours.

My preference is Rouen then the E9, a little further than the E11 but less hilly and far less fuel!

Like others we have done this trip a few times over the years, the most recent in 2012. Depending on the time of your ferry departure and how comfortable you are with distances covered in a day the following is the route we have used in the past. Calais > Neufachetel -en-Bray (103 miles - Camping Sainte Claire) OR St Remy-sur-Avre 180 miles - Camp Municipal du Pre de l'Eglise) > Ebreuil (321 miles or 240 depending on which site used previously - Camping La Filature, English owned) > Millau (166 miles - Camping La Rivages) > Sant Pere Pescador (175 miles). We have found that this route presents no problems towing, the A75 over the Central Massif is quite "dooable" with a reasonably balanced outfit. The most difficult part of the journey is passing through Sant Pere Pescador with its narrow roads, tight corners and chaotic parking, try to avoid it during the "siesta period". We use toll roads and, of course non toll auto-routes, as we have found it saves on time and mpg. Not being tied to a specific period of time away we take out time travelling to our intended destination.

Volvo V70/Lunar Clubman 475/2 CKW

I have done this route before, however I did go round the outer areas of Paris, in 2011.

I did Yorkshire -> Abbey Wood

Abbey Wood -> 11. 00am Ferry -> Le Beau Village Campsite (South of Paris) (Be careful with Satnav. Use the N10 junction north of the campsite where there is a large hypermarket and travel back to the site and turn right at the Renault Garage - Don't do what I did and try and thread my outfit through some very small streets)

Le Beau Village -> Les Rivages (Millau) - Again, leave Le Beau Village via the same N10 Junction (going north) to avoid small windy roads.

Les Rivages -> St. Pere Pescadore

The Paris->Millau leg is the longest. Follow the speed limit signs on the descents on the A75 as you traverse the mountains, otherwise quite hairy! We left Paris at around 8:30 am and got to Millau at 4pm with a decent lunch stop, so it's quite do-able.

I will be doing most of the journey again this summer, but remaining in Millau as we thought the Les Rivages site there was lovely.

Regards,

Stephen

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

We came back from near Beziers in June last year up the E11 (A75 A71) which we have used several times before and basically followed the reverse of the route outlined by Clubman above. We were not in a hurry and had a few days at Millau - Les Rivages, then a site near Clermont Ferrand before a night at St Remy sur Avre - Camping Municipal du Pre de l'Eglise (an excellent night halt) and then onto Dunquerque via Rouen. If in a hurry, we would have easily done Millau to St Remy in one day using Autoroutes as you only pay from north of Clermont Ferrand and we leave the Autoroute when North of Orleans.

The A75 section enjoys spectacular scenery but is absolutely no problem to tow. In budget terms you get a free night at the superb Les Rivages site as at ACSI rates it is almost the same price as towing over the Millau viaduct which you don't pay if you drop down into the town. You actually get better views of the viaduct than if you simply drive across.

I use Les Rivages as recommended by several others, the A75 is a superb route and part of the holiday in itself. Regarding San Pere Pescador, dont follow satnav directions or you will be routed through very narrow lanes. Leave the motorway at Junction 3 and follow signs for Roses as far as the roundabout at Castello d' Empurias and take the road through the Aiguamolls Natural Park. There are still a couple of tight turns but its the best route we have found yet. Regarding Aquarius, it holds CC&C rallies every September and I would give it a miss, unless you are joining it. Camping Las Palmeras next door is a nicer site and less crowded but will cost a bit more, no need to book.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

For those looking for a 1 night stop near to Millau, the site at Severac le Chateau Camping Les Calquieres) a few mile north of Millau is a very acceptable site with good size pitches, a covered swimming pool and a fuel station and small Netto? supermarket 1/2 mile from site. The site accepts ACSI card. Unless you are planning a few days in this area I would suggest you consider using this site, the pull up out of the valley of Millau can be quite a vehicle thirsty experience, if you are planning a couple of days to see the Gorges tho' then you must drop down into Millau. You will not be disappointed and if you time your visit right the Friday? evening market in Millau as a real treat.

Volvo V70/Lunar Clubman 475/2 CKW

Severac le Chateau Camping Les Calquieres) a few mile north of Millau is a very acceptable site with good size pitches, a covered swimming pool and a fuel station and small Netto? supermarket 1/2 mile from site.

An absolute gem of a site! You could easily stay there a week or more. There is a Champion (?) as well as the Netto within walking distance (if it's not too hot!)

Edited by MalH

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

We have stayed at several of the campsites mentioned above and a few more that are not. You can have a look at my website reports here http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/european_campsite_index. htm There are lots of pictures. This campsite is virtually next door to Camping Aquarius http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/camping_l_amfora. htm and might be worth a look if you can't get in.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Thanks guys, I have printed off all your replies and am now recalculating and certainly giving Paris a miss. Back to the drawing board!

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

I use Les Rivages as recommended by several others, the A75 is a superb route and part of the holiday in itself. Regarding San Pere Pescador, dont follow satnav directions or you will be routed through very narrow lanes. Leave the motorway at Junction 3 and follow signs for Roses as far as the roundabout at Castello d' Empurias and take the road through the Aiguamolls Natural Park. There are still a couple of tight turns but its the best route we have found yet. Regarding Aquarius, it holds CC&C rallies every September and I would give it a miss, unless you are joining it. Camping Las Palmeras next door is a nicer site and less crowded but will cost a bit more, no need to book.

I used jct 5 on the E15 if you look on google earth I reckon that is the best road imo but as stated DO NOT try to go through San Pere Pescador. I did and there is a very sharp right hander in one of the approaching villages and would have been ok but a Spianish car was parked in a rather stupid place,no suprise there ! and we were unable to make the turn,we detoured to get back onto the correct road. .........do not follow sat nav. ...we stayed at camping Las palmeras,only stayed one night,not impressed but if you have children and you like a disco you will be fine. malc

I used jct 5 on the E15 if you look on google earth I reckon that is the best road imo but as stated DO NOT try to go through San Pere Pescador. I did and there is a very sharp right hander in one of the approaching villages and would have been ok but a Spianish car was parked in a rather stupid place,no suprise there ! and we were unable to make the turn,we detoured to get back onto the correct road. .........do not follow sat nav. ...we stayed at camping Las palmeras,only stayed one night,not impressed but if you have children and you like a disco you will be fine. malc

That route from J5 is probably the one with the least turns but the route I recommended is shorter and only has a couple of turns in the village and not the one you mentioned of which we know and do everything to avoid. Las Palmeras does have live music one night a week and you must have been unlucky to catch it on your one night and maybe parked to near, we have returned 4 times and as world class haters of loud music parked at the bottom of the site have not been inconvenienced by it.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Well I have looked a number of possibilities and come up with this route and campsites. As suggested going via Rouen and Dreux then past Orleans to La Grand Sologne. From there it is the A75 to Les Rivages at Millau then the run down to the C&CC rally at Aquarius, San Pere Piscador in Spain. Thank you all for help and advise and I have enjoyed planning and studying maps again rather than just the Sat-Nav, Google Maps or Michelin web site. If there is anything wrong with my choices please don't hesitate to let me know, thanks again, Agzy

CARPE DIEM

Did that exact trip staying at the very same sites last May no problem at all er except for the weather that is, enjoy.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

For those looking for a 1 night stop near to Millau, the site at Severac le Chateau Camping Les Calquieres) a few mile north of Millau is a very acceptable site with good size pitches, a covered swimming pool and a fuel station and small Netto? supermarket 1/2 mile from site. The site accepts ACSI card. Unless you are planning a few days in this area I would suggest you consider using this site, the pull up out of the valley of Millau can be quite a vehicle thirsty experience, if you are planning a couple of days to see the Gorges tho' then you must drop down into Millau. You will not be disappointed and if you time your visit right the Friday? evening market in Millau as a real treat.

Gets our vote. Stopped a night last year. Using it again this year.

Shogun SWB, Adria Isonzo +Dwt Paradies 280 . ... 78% match. Pitchin next to you sometime. ..!!!!

Well I have looked a number of possibilities and come up with this route and campsites. As suggested going via Rouen and Dreux then past Orleans to La Grand Sologne. From there it is the A75 to Les Rivages at Millau then the run down to the C&CC rally at Aquarius, San Pere Piscador in Spain. Thank you all for help and advise and I have enjoyed planning and studying maps again rather than just the Sat-Nav, Google Maps or Michelin web site. If there is anything wrong with my choices please don't hesitate to let me know, thanks again, Agzy

Good choice - nice distances, good places to stop. Have a great holiday!

Hi agzy, We make plans for stopovers like yours, then it's raining so we go further, or it's sunny and we stop at 2 pm. , or there's a traffic jam and we turn off the road we were on and go a different way, or we see a nice place for lunch and decide to stop there, and then don't feel like driving any further, or we arrive at the planned site, don't like it and drive away.

I've lost count of the plans we've had, and the unplanned places we've been to. At the time of year you are going all those things are possible. Enjoy !

We are the same, Moorgate, but always plan ahead regarding routes and more often than not the sites work out okay. It is different when a place attracts you so much you stay over, I think we've all had those. But this time the journey is specific as meeting people on the rally. Agree with you though, must be prepared for anything and everything.

CARPE DIEM