Passat Alltrack : Mileage To Tow

Tandem Man

We intend to order a new Passat Alltrack in a month or two and wondered if anyone who has one could tell me if there is a set amount of miles that has to be done before you can tow a caravan,or can you tow straight away ??

Thanks,

Ian

I think if I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a brand new car, then I would be happier asking for this sort of information from the dealer who should have the relevant information available.

Only my opinion and I am sure others will come along with different answers.

I had a brand new passat a few years ago and was told it comes already run in, I personally would put a thousand miles on it before towing at least.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I think if I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a brand new car, then I would be happier asking for this sort of information from the dealer who should have the relevant information available.

Only my opinion and I am sure others will come along with different answers.

I tend to find that dealers aren't always up to date on,especially, towing matters,nor do they know everything that is in the manual.

I have visited many various brands of car dealers recently and some don't even know how to adjust the seats.

I just wondered if anyone had the manual handy they could give me an idea on what is quoted therein.

Ian

Skoda recommended 500 miles . .. my 4 Skodas all towed just over 500 miles with no ill effects. Towed with my Tiguan for the first time last weekend with 600 miles on the clock.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

I think if you can get a few miles on it helps the tyres and brakes bed in, really I don't think modern engines need running in, I towed with just over 200 miles up, I think the book says 500 miles.

I'd try and get 500 miles on the clock if I were you although because of delays with the dealer and mucking up the towbar wiring (so it had to go back to be rectified) we ended up towing with about 100 on our S-Max rather than the planned 500 and it still runs and tows OK 40k miles later

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I would get a few hundred miles on the clock, as xtrailman says it gives the brakes and tyres time to bed in, also gives you time to familiarise yourself with the car

Towed with my merc after 300 miles. Dealer just told me to 'take it steady' and don't use cruise control. Also don't labour the engine and be more patient/use the gearbox more.

By the time I got to Cornwall after towing the engine was lovely and loose!!

Things may have changed with modern engines, but 20 or 30 years ago a big problem was operating them too lightly after an engine rebuild!

If not worked hard enough, the cylinder bores could glaze over with the products of combustion, leading to very smooth cylinder walls. In turn this prevented the piston rings from bedding in correctly leading to blow by where the gasses inside the cylinder pass into the bottom half of the engine, pressurising the sump and causing oil to blow out of breather pipes etc.

The advise given was to work the engine moderately hard rather than being too gentle.

Several oil companies actually sold running in oil specifically designed to help with the bedding in process and on searching the web just now it seems as though these oils are still available.

I wouldn't have too many worries towing after just a 100 miles or so to give the brakes chance to bed in properly.

As per the previous advise, don't labour the engine and try to keep varying the rpm, just as you would if you were running in without a caravan behind.