Gloucester To Cc Site River Breamish Northumberland

We are planning to head up to Northumberland in the summer.

Any views on the best route from Gloucester particularly from the M1 / M18 split heading north to join the A1M

Is it best to go M18 and join the A1M south of Doncaster or stay with the M1 edge around Leeds and join the A1m north of Garforth

Also any tips for skirting Newcastle

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

That has to be no contest, m1 m18 a1m the M1 north up through leeds is not a very nice road, the a1 is qute pleasant.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

I always use the M18 and then north on the A1, keeps you away from the Sheffield section of the M1 and going up the M18/A1 is 12 miles shorter to where the M1 / A1 join than going all the way on the M1 M1

There is only about 7 miles different, from memory, on splitting M18/A1(m) to the other route. ......I personally prefer this route myself as there are a few more places to pull in. ..nothing else.

Newcastle, two alternative basically. ..The Western Bypass around the bottom on the 'Airport Road', which does get somewhat congested and slow. ..or pay-up and go through the Tyne Tunnel(s)...quicker and they don't even seem to check your gas bottles are switched off like the old days. .......again both roads end up being the A1 up to Alnwick.

I have started using the tunnels again and paying up. .not a lot but less hassle in queues.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Travelling that way from North Staffs. Will use the M6, join the A69 at Carlisle and then A1 just north of Newcastle.

Any easy route and only 10 miles further.

Agree M6 - A69 is by far the better route. Good caravan-friendly services on the M6 at Charnock Richard and Tebay, and option to break the journey along the A69 with CLs very close by, plus the CC site at Englethwaite Hall, C&CC site at Haltwistle and the Racecourse at Hexham.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I'm having to do the M6 Southbound run from Northumberland shortly too. ........and am dreading it. ..three times on M6 last year and never had less than 30 minutes hold up. ..maximum was 2 hours . .....

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

There is only about 7 miles different, from memory, on splitting M18/A1(m) to the other route. ......I personally prefer this route myself as there are a few more places to pull in. ..nothing else.

Newcastle, two alternative basically. ..The Western Bypass around the bottom on the 'Airport Road', which does get somewhat congested and slow. ..or pay-up and go through the Tyne Tunnel(s)...quicker and they don't even seem to check your gas bottles are switched off like the old days. .......again both roads end up being the A1 up to Alnwick.

I have started using the tunnels again and paying up. .not a lot but less hassle in queues.

geoff

Just a note the Western Bypass (passed the Metro Centre) is only a pain morning and evening commute, mid day when I would suspect you would be using it for an afternoon arrival at the site it would normally be fine its all a 50mph limit which the police are enforcing with cars and camera vans. I use it most days without problems. Enjoy your trip.

I also prefer the A1 when going to Northumberland and would join the A1 via the M18 if I lived further south*, I've not had a problem with the metro centre either.

The M1 from junction 28 (Matlock) through to junction 35a north of Rotherham could be a 60mph speed limit by then, it will be 60mph from 7am to 7pm 7 days a week.

Not be a problem to caravans or lorries but those with cars or vans please be aware

*(however If I lived further south I wouldn't be in Yorkshire so would have said farther south)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)