Vehicles Exempt From Vehicle Tax.

Lefthand Down

A friend of mine has need for a second car (Small City type Car) and being disabled already has NIL TAX on the tow car.

Can someone confirm if tax has to be paid on a second vehicle?

https://www. gov. uk/vehicle-exempt-from-car-tax

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Small vehicles are zero rated under 100gms CO2 . Disability vehicles still pay road fund licence and insurance but is paid as part of the scheme I think .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Agree with The Commander on this one. ... Recently purchased a new KIA Ceed 1. 6 eco Diesel under 100 gms CO2 . .. Zero Road tax. ............ 60+ MPG nicking about . ....

GAS . .... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

I would have thought that you can only claim once for vehicle tax exemption due to disability.

However, as others have said, there are now loads of cars on the market with less than 100g/km emissions and hence no tax.

These are some of the best and there are some quite large cars in there

http://www. carbuyer. co. uk/reviews/recommended/exempt-road-tax

Brian

The car he is buying is £30 per annum.

The question is when any vehicle is bought for disabled use it is allowed zero VED.

I can't find any rule preventing a second car from being applied for.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

It does say it must be registered in the disabled persons name and must be only for their personal use. Obviously you can't use two cars at the same time.

Brian

The question is when any vehicle is bought for disabled use it is allowed zero VED.

Provided both vehicles are for the EXCLUSIVE USE of the disabled person then I believe you may be correct. I'm sure the DVLA could confirm if he calls them.

SWMBO has a BB and we could exempt our vehicle @ £260 PA but then I should not use the car to go out for MY purposes alone. .. which I very occasionally do.

Many people, of course ignore this (or have no choice but to with Motability vehicles where they are invariably taxed as exempt)...

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

. Disability vehicles still pay road fund licence and insurance but is paid as part of the scheme I think .

Dave

My mum is registered disabled and does not pay any RFL and the car is registered in my dads name, so not sure how you come to that and they are not in any "scheme"

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Provided both vehicles are for the EXCLUSIVE USE of the disabled person then I believe you may be correct. I'm sure the DVLA could confirm if he calls them.

Many people, of course ignore this (or have no choice but to with Motability vehicles where they are invariably taxed as exempt)...

That is a good suggestion and I will pass that info on to him. .......

My mum is registered disabled and does not pay any RFL and the car is registered in my dads name, so not sure how you come to that and they are not in any "scheme"

Our Freelander2 is registered in my name, but gets a free Road fund Disc as Lizzie has. Blue badge. If I use it without Lizzie in the vehicle I always make sure I have a reason for driving it like collecting her prescription or shopping for her!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

you can only claim exemption on one vehicle at a time / fact, ie if you have a mobility car ( they are exempt from rfl ) you can not get rfl free on a second car, jim

:D:D:D:D the new solid construction 2013 elddis aspire 255 has replaced a 2008 jeep grand cherokee 3. 0 crd overland being chased by a 2011 elddis crusader super sirocco,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, after four elddis caravans it made sence to buy an aspire

https://www. gov. uk/financial-help-disabled/vehicles-and-transport

I am unable to find any rule where a it says only one vehicle allowed.

eg.

Vehicle tax exemption Eligibility

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name. It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

lhd as in my post FACT, i have asked the question and got the reply, not hear say or a mate of a mate says so, tell your " friend " to give mobility a call , i was told one registered disabled person can have nil payment rfl assigned to one vehicle at a time, jim

lhd, google nidirect it states on there the rfl exemption certificate can only be used to tax one car, jim

:D:D:D:D the new solid construction 2013 elddis aspire 255 has replaced a 2008 jeep grand cherokee 3. 0 crd overland being chased by a 2011 elddis crusader super sirocco,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, after four elddis caravans it made sence to buy an aspire

My dad is disabled, & parents have 2 cars, but only 1 can be RFL exempt. If you have a motability car, then that is the one that will be exempt, any second car will have to have normal RFL - they looked into this with DVLA when he was registered as disabled. What they do is use the exemption on the vehicle which would have the higher RFL - both cars are registered in his name, neither are motability.

2005 Bessacarr Cameo 635 gl & 2005 Nissan Terrano II SVE Di 3. 0l

My brother has a mobility car which has nil RFL, he has to pay RFL for his second car

Thanks all for the feedback. ..... I will pass it on to my friend. ......... :)

Found the PDF on nidirect. ............

eg
7. General Information
Exemption from vehicle tax for disabled people can only be claimed for one vehicle at a time. You must tax any other vehicle in an appropriate tax class.
Case closed. ........ :)

Thanks all for the feedback. ..... I will pass it on to my friend. ......... :)

Found the PDF on nidirect. ............

eg

7. General Information

Exemption from vehicle tax for disabled people can only be claimed for one vehicle at a time. You must tax any other vehicle in an appropriate tax class.

Case closed. ........ :)

That does seem fair IMHO, it would be grossly unfair if it was allowed for more than one vehicle. The exemption is there to improve the mobility of disabled people and rightly so but any additional vehicles it would be plain greedy.

Rt

just seen this thread, but thought the obvious answer would be to ask - they can only say no :blink:

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................