240V To 12V Converter Will It Run The Fridge Ok ?

gillberry

Hi all we have a classic caravan with a 12v / gas fridge and are looking at the possibility of getting a converter to run the fridge when hooked up to the 240v on a site .

What are the best options and will it work ok running constantly for 3/4 days ?

2009 Volvo XC90 - mine

2003 Vauxhall Astra estate - hers

1968 Volvo Amazon estate - ours

1967 Cheltenham Nyala - ours

Fridge is not designed to work continuously on 12v, only when connected to the car during transit, as it is dangerous to keep it on gas whilst on the move, why not use gas as it is designed to work on? (I think they use too much current on 12v)

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

As it is only a heating element a suitably rated 230/12 VAC transformer should work, but I am at a loss to understand the wish to do so. You will have needed to burn a fair amount of gas to break even financially.

I vaguely recall reading that the 12V supply is not thermostatically controlled, so you might have overcooling problems.

If you supply it with 12V you will need at least 10amps, so a fair sized power supply. I would not use only a transformer unless you were very careful, as you might be putting 12V ac into the 12V dc system - including your car if you hooked up without switching off.

Stick to gas.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

You will need to know the max current that the fridge draws on 12V. I have in front of me a RS cheapo transformer that is rated at 2. 08 amps. I assume that these early vans only had fridges working on 12V so I think that post #2 is not relevant for your older van.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You'll need a power unit that delivers 10amps or so (check the input current). The units you can get from Halfords or Waeco are only rated at 5amps (60w) for portable coolboxes so not suitable.

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Thanks for the replies, the reason we ask is at the moment we only use gas but if the site is windy and we are in an exposed position the flame is blow out . It is not a major issue it was just a thought but one that needed looking into and your responses have answered that . Our other option is a brand new fridge but we would have major work as the exhaust is on the opposite side .

2009 Volvo XC90 - mine

Our other option is a brand new fridge but we would have major work as the exhaust is on the opposite side .

And they are very expensive too, £600+ comes to mind

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

And they are very expensive too, £600+ comes to mind

Yes and with work involved in adjusting for the exhaust closer to £1000 .

I think we will stick with what we have . :)

2009 Volvo XC90 - mine