What Type Of Mover

Bobby

Hi All, I need a mover to enable the caravan to be placed in its location on our driveway which has a slight slope and is concrete. The caravan needs to be moved through 180Deg.

This is the only time that I would need to use the mover so have been thinking of the type that attaches to the towbar, then I wont have any weight penalty.

Does anyone have any experiance of this type, are they any good. The caravan is a single axle of 1500Kg.

I'm guessing a bit, but I reckon the vast majority of people on this forum favour the std tyre movers and not the jockey wheel type. I have a Powrtouch on a single axle and turn through 180 deg every time at home. Very easily done and within the minimum space as I can select which of the wheels to move.

Ideal if space is tight.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi Bobby,

Have not used the jockey wheel type but have been told that they are not as manoeuvrable as the usual chassis type. I used to have a purpleline endure on my bailey pageant, 1300kg, and it would spin it on its own axis if required. I now have a twin axle Abbey and have a powrtouch evo on the front axle. This only weighs 30kg and it moves the van fine so on yours it would be even better.

The Mr Shifta, now I believe only available secondhand but attractively priced, was a very capable unit that attached to the tow hitch. .

On good surfaces the incline is the all important aspect, and seemingly strange IME it is not the climbing, but the coming down and being able to stop where it gets interesting in wet conditions.

I can give you some direct info, again on concrete surface, single axle vans, but with use on a slope of 1 in 14.

My Mr Shifta Mk 1 handled our 1100 kg van excellently in all weathers.

However, on changing to a 1700 kg van, it handled things well in the dry, but could easily slip when stopping it coming downhill if the surface was wet.

These are better than the competition in this type of tractor unit in that it carried its own battery so had the higher frictional grip benefit of that mass together with its own weight and the van's noseweight. Plus, it could be left on charge at home ready to receive the van or get it away, and do so without taxing the van's battery.

Really excellent product in the right applications. Don't even consider the manually cranked unit, they are not in the same league.

Edit: they add to the "units" overall length so bear that in mind if width where turning is limited. The precision is excellent, my carport only allows one point 5 inch a side clearance.

Edited by JTQ