525/4 Flat Battery

mw3230

My 525/4 has been standing for some weeks and when I went into it the other day the battery was flat - not even any display on the master panel. As far as I know all electricals were turned off and the master switch off also. Is it to be expected that the battery would discharge like this, or is it the alarm trickling power out of the battery (we don't set the alarm)

Obviously this is a worry as the mover won't work and the van is a little heavy to move by hand (at least single handedly)

I will speak to the dealers about this but wondered on others' experiences

Thank you

We have had a similar problem, although ours did register 9. 8v on the panel! We had a spare at home, charged that up and swapped them. On checking the discharged battery with a proper meter it read 12. 5v! I think the panel's giving false readings - and why can't you turn off the LCD display - it's permanently on, so that must be taking some voltage. Everything else off, as you said. Doesn't inspire confidence though!

Ps interestingly I note your alarm was not on - ours was. Have you checked that the alarm's internal battery is switched on - if it isn't it may have drawn power from the van battery, even though not switched "on". You'll need to remove the alarm box cover and lift up the battery to check if the switch is set to "on". I posted some instructions in this thread http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/77418-stinger-310-alarm-back-up-battery/ . It may help, but I suspect we both have a similar problem with the panel! Let me know if you discover anything.

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

A lot of caravans still draw power when master switch is OFF, such as fridge controller, radio, alarm etc. The only sure way is to pull the fuse in main feed from battery.

Edited by birdman101

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

​As others have posted lots of things working even with master switch off. Then theres the age of the battery & self discharge ( the battery ) perhaps the best thing is a solar panel fitted in the window ( whichever window gets the most sunlight ) & wired via a controller& fuse to the battery. Solar panel - whatever size fits ( as above ) and made from monocrystalline cells, see fleabay.

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll check the alarm switch and give some thought to a solar panel although as I have the van at home it's not too difficult to either keep it hooked up or charge the battery occasionally. Just for a laugh I'll ask the dealer for advice but I don't fancy taking the van for them to check it out and then possibly taking it back again after they have ordered a spare part!

The radio is the usual culprit. If you take the faceplate off it stops the drain. The radios are intended for car use, so have two power leads, one of which is switched and the other unswitched. I fixed it by attaching a 68w flexible polycrystalline solar panel to the roof.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

There is a easy way to check if your alarm is working ok. Switch the alarm off, go inside the caravan and check the pir. If when you cause movement it shows green it is ok, if red there is something wrong, i. e. alarm battery switched off, alarm battery flat, wire off from alarm battery. I do speak from experience due to having a flat leisure battery because a wire from the alarm battery was broken.

2013 Kia Sorento KX-2 auto pulling a 2014 Coachman Kimberley Vision 565/4.

Disco Dave, does that apply to all caravan alarms that they should be green and not red?

Mine is a Sargent AS 210 and that is red PIR.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

The little switch on the alarm's internal battery board is to turn that battery on, not to turn the alarm on - if it's not switched on then it can't charge up and the alarm will take power from the main battery and not show a fault - we also speak from experience. Our alarm has always worked ok, even before we discovered the note in the paperwork advising the dealer to switch on the internal battery at PDI - it wasn't done in our case. We discovered this after a few weeks when it started beeping, indicating low voltage, when using our caravan mover (too much drain on the van battery). Found the switch, turned it on, left van on mains for a couple of weeks and no further problems since.

The radio front is never kept in the van when we're not using it so this can't be the problem, if we even have a problem, as our battery registered 12. 5v at home when tested with a proper meter - I am hoping that it's something to do with the panel. Our van is booked in for its first service towards the end of Feb so we will mention our "problem" to the service guys (not Coachman however) and see if they come up with any reasons/solutions.

mw3230 - have you checked the voltage of the battery off the van? - I'd be interested in your findings, to see if you get different readings. Thanks.

Disco Dave, does that apply to all caravan alarms that they should be green and not red?

Mine is a Sargent AS 210 and that is red PIR.

David - pir in our van is green during normal use. It was red in the Bailey Pegasus. Obviously depends on the type of alarm fitted.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Hi David

Mine is the Stinger 310 on a Coachman VIP. However I have had a look around Sargent's website and found the Dealer Support Pack which will explain everything about your alarm. It seems if you have a red light in your pir your battery is connected OK. Here is a link to the support pack http://www. sargentltd. co. uk/Dealer_Support_pack. pdf

Hope this is of some help.

David

Edited by Disco_Dave

2013 Kia Sorento KX-2 auto pulling a 2014 Coachman Kimberley Vision 565/4.

I would echo advice about the alarm. Our alarm had an internal 10Ah battery. This was faulty and therefore draining the main battery in a couple of weeks. My solution was to disconnect the alarm battery and allow it to work off the main - problem solved :-)

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

We have had a similar problem. Last week we had move storage sites. The van had been stood for about three weeks. On the new storage site we need to use the mover which we have never had to do before. The battery was flat. Spoken to our dealer who has had the battery in for a check and he says that there is no problems with it. It will be going in for its first service at the beginning of March and he will check the battery charger. His advice is that we have two batteries and change it every time it has been stood. This seems a rediculas suggestion. Would it not be possible to disconnect the one we have?

Chris

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

I temp fit a 4w solar panel in the roof window as I suffer from flat battery when in storage, it just keeps the battery topped up ready for the next trip. Unfortunately has already mentioned the new vans are power hungry. Coachman now fit solar panels on most of their vans as standard now, so they obviously are aware of it, but they are controlled as to what the likes of BCA designers like to put on the market, so much for improvements. I for one would not be happy to go "off" EHU, for the fact I do not trust my vans 12v system, unless I took a spare, or paid out £300+ for a good quality solar panel, which I am not prepared to do and lug it about, having looked at changing for a newer model, and reading what problems are still being experienced and the fact that the vans layouts do not suit, I am pleased my faults have been rectified after all it has taken 3 years to perfect everything. So I will hold onto it for quite a while.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

chris you are right just disconnect your battery. it seems crazy but as yet this problem goes on and on. I have to charge my 110 amp battery every 3/4 weeks without fail. Off should mean off in my book.

Off should mean off in my book.

:goodpost: My sentiments too :goodpost:

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Check the fridge - Mine was still set to run on battery power and drained the battery in 2 weeks.

Going to visit our caravan in storage tomorrow for first time in 2 months - Hoping to have some battery power !

It is a common misconception that a fridge will run on battery power. It will not, as the battery setting is specifically for running the fridge when being towed with the towing vehicle electrics being appropriately wired.

I suggest that you look elsewhere for the reason for the drain on your caravan battery.

To find what is draining battery use one of these from maplins http://www. maplin. co. uk/p/400mm-automotive-current-tester-max-n48cy

Pull each fuse at a time and plug in, will tell you what circuits are using power and how many Amps

Edited by birdman101

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

Hi, we have a VIP 460/2 which we store in a friends barn and we found the battery will discharge in a matter of day's. This seems to be a common problem, the dealer changed the charger at the first service which made it a little better, I have set up a 100w Solar Panel and run a lead into the barn via a controller and we leave it connected when the van is parked. We had a 2007 VIP AND A 2004 Bailey Vermont and the battery would be fine for around 3 weeks I guess its progress.

Check the fridge - Mine was still set to run on battery power and drained the battery in 2 weeks.

Going to visit our caravan in storage tomorrow for first time in 2 months - Hoping to have some battery power !

Something is wrong with your wiring--- fridge should NOT draw power with no car attached, The car should power the fridge only when the engine is running.

david

Something is wrong with your wiring--- fridge should NOT draw power with no car attached, The car should power the fridge only when the engine is running.

david

David,

Sorry but you are incorrect, the fridge does use 12v when not connected to the car. it is used to ignite the gas and also to activate the LCD screen

David,

Sorry but you are incorrect, the fridge does use 12v when not connected to the car. it is used to ignite the gas and also to activate the LCD screen

Surely only where applicable ? Some fridges have manual piezo start and no LCD screen.

Surely only where applicable ? Some fridges have manual piezo start and no LCD screen.

I agree that those without LCD screen and manual ignition may not, but the OP is referring to a Coachman caravan fitted with the latest Thetford fridge and all the new fridges consume 12v power even when the master switch is off. Only way to disable is to pull the 12v fuse.

DOH! Dont know why but was thinking of the old type fridge! We have one of the new type--- can i add to the list ? -the interior light ( if the door while in storage has been left open for ventilation ) and as for THAT blue light -xxxxxx !

david

Hi Am I right in thinking that the Thetford fridge has a power switch on the front panel which when in the off position cuts the LCD panel and the interior light, at least mine does.

2019 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD Inscription. Pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 575 fitted with Powertouch Mover