Motorcyclists

happydays

I have noticed there are a few members who have motorcycles. Myself and Angie both ride we tow with a large van because we need to put the two bikes in it and all the gear. I was wondering if anyone else does this with a van, or do you ride your bike to the site, or not take the bike at all. I know quite a few of motorhome guys tow a trailer with their bikes It would be interesting to know.

Kawasaki GTR 1400

Ducati Monster 796

We've got one of the last GTR1000's on a 57 plate but the bike stays at home when we're away. In fact it stayed in the garage for most of 2013 :blush: .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I sometimes manage to get the Pan European to the site were staying on, the logistics can be a nightmare. Have been thinking about having the bike transported by a delivery company or such before we arrive.

We have turned up on site with Carol driving the rig and me following on the K75. Takes some organising though.

2009 2. 5 Kia Sorento
2012 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

My Carol will not entertain driving our rig. ..that would be a great solution.

I ride a Goldwing. When we had the Motorhome the bike was towed behind. Now we have converted to a caravan the bike either stays at home or if caravanning locally I'll return home and collect the bike.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Verona + 2013 Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto

We would love to have the Tiger with us on the sites we visit, but can't get it there. Shame really as there are some amazing roads to potter about on, plus in the height of summer with all other road uses clogging up the roads, 'we' don't get stuck ;)

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

If you put 2 large motorbikes in a caravan that has got to be illegal. Caravans only have about a 160kg payload usually .

You need a toy loader . type caravan which is designed for carting motorbikes and quads.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

If you put 2 large motorbikes in a caravan that has got to be illegal. Caravans only have about a 160kg payload usually .

You need a toy loader . type caravan which is designed for carting motorbikes and quads.

Dave

The OP's towcar is an LDV Maxus ;)

Volvo XC70 D5 Auto SE Lux

Bailey Unicorn Valencia

We've seen caravans in Europe with a rear door specially designed to allow a bike to go in. They look like ordinary caravans converted (quite well done with decent door seals etc). Have often wondered what has been done to uprate the 'van for the load. (The bikes are not tiddlers either).

Ern

I'd love to take the bike for our caravan holidays but have yet to find a way other than as happydays does use a van as the towcar. I did go to the lengths of buying (and fully restoring) a barn-find NSU Quickly to carry on the back of the Discovery but realised when I'd restored it that it was absolutely gutless so off it went to Bonham's auction. Of course by that time I'd also made a towbar-mounted carrying frame for it. ....

So I have an annual solitary few days in France on the bike (currently Suzuki DL650 - was a Hinckley Tiger 955i till I had a replacement knee and found the bulk too much) plus local runs on whatever is the current classic - a 1957 Matchless G80S at the moment.

When we were in the USA in the Autumn (rented motorhome in the Rockies / Yellowstone) I was chatting to a chap with a gigantic RV towing a trailer on which were a 60s Ford Mustang, a full dress Harley, and a KTM dirt bike - seemed to tick all the boxes!

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Same sad story for me - I've got a GTR1000 and a DR650 but can't find any way to get one of them to a site. I have seen a fairly biggish motorhome with a carrier on the back (transverse ways) and it had an xt660 on it. Its a regular at Kelling Heath star parties. John

We have a fazer 1000 and would love to take it with us. Like most people its a weight and transportation problem. If we had a motorhome I would rather take the fazer on a trailer than tow a small car especially on the continent. I would have loved to have had with us last year in France.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

We keep the biking and caravaning separate. Some weekends caravan and some on the bike to rallies. ..Littleun goes in the sidecar and loves it. If I go on my own I take my valkyrie. ..If I had to choose, bike would win everytime.

Then why not organise a rally, near where you live. ...pitch up, nip home and get the bike??

I am organising such an event n North Yorkshire this year. ...near Grassington in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. .

Edited by Guest

If the wife would drive with our caravan in tow then that would be great. ...but she won't.

I manage to get my 125cc Yamaha Vity in the back of my car with the help from a small plank of wood.

This gives me and the wife a little bit of 2 wheeling to do around the resorts which is particularly nice when in Benidorm.

I would love to take my R1150RT but my wife will not tow the caravan.

+1 :( (except it's a CBF).

If I ever manage to persuade the management that a motorhome would be better for us, I've already sorted out the bike trailer.

Freelander 2 and Bailey Unicorn Valencia (Classic Edition. ..)

Then why not organise a rally, near where you live. ...pitch up, nip home and get the bike??

I am organising such an event n North Yorkshire this year. ...near Grassington in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. .

But surely you will have ridden all the local roads haven't you. I want to do unfamiliar roads on the bike whilst were away.

I have taken my 1961 VESPA 150 gs once has my Pickup has a 8ft bed,have yet too try the FJ1200 going up the ramps :unsure:

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Britsh Classics Twins all the way for me. ...but with a baby and a wife who can not tow the caravan. The two interests shall never cross paths.

The motorhome idea could make it possible with a trailer, but theres no way I am taxing something i use a handful of times a year. ...plus to pay for one and store it, I would end up losing the Land Rover. Forget it I would rather chew my own leg off than be without a Land Rover!

Freelander 1. 8i or Discovery TD5 and Bailey Ranger

How about one of these a Deseo transport caravan made for bikes :)

http://www. automotiveleisure. co. uk/page98. html

Looks good, could not see any anchoring points in the floor though!