Bailey Orion Ceiling Light Fallen Down

StephanieJane

Hi, wondering if anyone else has a remedy for our Bailey problem?

We've got a new-to-us Bailey Orion 430-4 which is about 3 years old I think. The front ceiling light has become a bit loose before so we just tightened up the screws, thinking nothing of it really.

However, this morning the whole thing fell down so now it is just held up be its wiring (and several strips of duct tape!) We can now see that the screws just go into holes in the insulation above the ceiling which have now worn away slightly meaning that the holes are too big for the screws. It also looks as though this has happened with the previous owners too as there is a set of additional holes that are now unused.

Is this a common problem with the Orions? Has anyone overcome it?

Thank you

I refitted all our internal lights, and used fairing nuts, but considering that internal lights are very lightweight I would imagine that a good quality rawlplug, and matching screw would be just fine,, infact any cavity type fixing should work

Thanks Mike and/or Deb

We'll take a walk into town and see what we can find by way of rawl plugs.

The longer we live in this Orion, the less impressed I am with Bailey's corner cutting :unsure:

The double sided sticky tape I got from a glazier for sticking mirrors on walls could well make a neat repair.

I'd thought of thick double-sided tape and Dave said he's pretty sure he's got some in the shed. At home. We're in Portugal at the moment though so I gave him a 'look' for being unhelpful!

The Chinese shop in town had two sizes of rawl plugs, with screws, in packs of ten for a euro so we've bought both sizes and will attempt the repair in daylight tomorrow.

Never heard of it happening before so I don't think it is a common problem.

I am surprised the previous owners didn't have it fixed under warranty when it was serviced.

To not have such a thing rectified makes me wonder if it has an up to date service history unless of course it occurred just prior to selling it.

I wonder if the previous owners removed the light for some reason and made a hash of putting it back ??

Ian

Hi Ian, we've learned a lot from your blog over the past few months but have been calling you Bob. Sorry!

According to the dealer we bought from, the previous owners only went out in this caravan twice and then part-ex'd it for a motorhome - which was what they had really wanted all along. There's a full service history up to us buying it at the end of May 2013.

We've been touring Spain & Portugal since the end of Oct though so probably a lot more use than the manufacturers intended it to have. We're trying to be gentle and so far the only major problem is the light fitting today. One bit of plastic edging also popped away but we can superglue that back. Oh, and the number plate fell off the back in Ourique but that was the dealer's fault for only using a bit of double sided sticky tape instead of screwing it on properly. Fortunately we were parked up at the time, not driving along or we might never have found it again!

StephanieJane,

It is a touring caravan and you are touring in it so you are doing what it is designed for.

You could always remove the light completely and rely on the reading lights and LED's then have it fixed properly by your dealer on your return.

If you do a bit of a temporary bodge job and it falls down and breaks it will cost more in the long run.

Thanks for the comments about the blog,I have just this minute updated it so there is some more rubbish for you to read before going to bed.

Ian ( BOB )

If you do a bit of a temporary bodge job and it falls down and breaks it will cost more in the long run.

Ian ( BOB )

I would not call using cavity fixings a bodge job, infact most of the vans I have seen actually use cavity fixings in the roof to hold the lights on.

Hi,

It was sugested useing double sided tape-- one drawerback when its hot ( weather wise ) the tape looses its grip -- and the light can come adrift--------

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Hi,

It was sugested useing double sided tape-- one drawerback when its hot ( weather wise ) the tape looses its grip -- and the light can come adrift--------

david

Not happened yet with the long glass mirror on the sidewall of our caravan, and that has been to Spain in the summer.

Hi,

david

That used to happen to our fire blanket when we used to fix its holder to the inside of the wardrobe, a warm day and it always fell off. It now sits loose in a cupboard.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

The fact that the screws have 'stripped' the threads in the roof panel (twice?) would point to them having been done-up too tight. It's all too easy to overtighten & needs some decisive restraint to do them up just enough, remember they can always be tightened a bit more but not 'un-tightened' at all ! This is not to say using plugs is not a much more secure idea.
As already stated sticky tape is likely to fail at the first sign of a decent summer. .........so will probably last for years LOL.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I would be inclined to use a fixing such as a Molly Piranha M10110. Ok you need to drill an 8mm hole for the fixing and use a fixing tool, but the results are the best I have come across for a cavity installation. As long as the roof has a cavity of about 20mm thick then I would go for these.

Significant caravan uses so far:- fixing 60w electric towel rail to wall, new fixing for high level brake light to rear panel.

I get mine from Homebase.

http://www. homebase. co. uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=896706

John.

I'd thought of thick double-sided tape and Dave said he's pretty sure he's got some in the shed. At home. We're in Portugal at the moment though so I gave him a 'look' for being unhelpful!

The Chinese shop in town had two sizes of rawl plugs, with screws, in packs of ten for a euro so we've bought both sizes and will attempt the repair in daylight tomorrow.

How did the repair go ?,

happen to all the window casettes on the peggy,bought thicker screws and put them in by hand (not electric screw driver!)and now they are all nice and secure.

just a bit of good old poor build Q thats all. :ph34r:

staying the night in a caravan,what more do we want from life? :rolleyes: apart from 365 days a year off!!!!

Two things,-

1) how about the special double sided tape used for fixing rear view mirrors to windscreens ? after all if the pads can stand the heat of the windscreen----

2)Aero modelling- we use to screw in the screw ( servo mountings ) take the screw out, soak the hole with superglue and put a touch of grease on screw and screw back into hole.

This hardened the balsa wood in the area of the screw while the grease stopped the glue from glueing the screw allowing it to be removed later, provided you had not crashed------------------------------

david

Hi All

Repair is now complete (touch wood) and what we've done is to superglue rawl plugs into the screw holes in the ceiling. The screws now actually have threads to grip onto instead just holes in the insulation and the original screws have gone back in fine. The light feels solid now and hopefully will live happily ever after.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and advice :)

Hi Folks,

Glad to hear you got sorted

best of luck, david

you could of also turn the light unit slightly and made new holes to fix it back up, though what you have done will work the same :)

• 2 weeks later...

On previous vans that had screws pulled out of wallboard I have filled the hole with wood glue and gently put the screw back and leave till glue has set. Have had to glue the cutlery drawer casing on my present Orion but the lights seem solid.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4