Hi, anyone got any good suggestions for a quiet family friendly (but not entertainment driven) caravan site around lie de re or somewhere on the Atlantic coast in France? Husband loves to surf and we usually go to Cornwall but fancy a change. Don't mind a swimming pool but don't want clowns and singing and kids clubs etc. Thanks. .....

I've noted that you don't want the full blown entertainment side of things, and also your preferred location but in spite of it not ticking either box (there is entertainment, and it's further south than you were looking), I would recommend the Club Marina at Mimizan-Plage. It wouldn't have been my choice of site but my sister in law made the booking (we had no internet or phone at the time so I let her get on with it and had a look at the website afterwards). In the event, we had to go without them anyway but to be quite honest, it was nothing like we expected and if we were minded to visit the same place twice, we'd definitely go back to that site and have already recommended it to others. I really can't think of anything negative about the site unless you don't like sandy pitches, pine trees, thunderstorms and being outnumbered by Continentals!! Have a look http://www. camping-club-marina. com/campsite-france-landes. html

It's a large site and was quite busy but didn't feel too crowded. It also feels like a French campsite which sometimes, some of the larger ones don't. There weren't that many British on site while we were there either, which was nice (not that we mind, but when we're abroad we prefer to feel like we are abroad and not still at home).

Although our son would have liked to join in with the Kid's Club activities, they were all fully booked in advance, and we never did work out where they were taking place!! There was evening entertainment on an open stage outside the restaurant which was not too far from our pitch, but the noise didn't bother us and finished at 10. 30 when the activies moved to the disco which, again, I never found. We quite enjoyed some of the entertainment anyway, particularly the local music.

Security guards patrol the site at night, and in spite of our pitch being fairly close to both the site entrance and the toilets we heard nothing to disturb us during our stay.

The beach is easily walkable from the site, there's a very nice swimming pool on site, a decent restaurant for a treat, a pizzeria and a well stocked mini-supermarket which is not too overpriced. There are also some very safe cycling routes nearby (including a route into the nearby town which is mostly off the road).

We were there for nine days, and only needed to take the car out once (to visit the Musee d'Hydraviation at Biscarrosse).

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

I have stayed on the Lac Leon site. Very pleasant and fishing lake was good. I found the area very boring as there is little of any age round and about, the surfing looked anything but boring, never seen waves like they had there.

Looked pretty hairy to me and they had a helicopter behind one of the beaches which was in frequent use recovering swimmers. I think they do world championship surfing in that area and down towards Biarritz.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

Hi Dunegirl, You might like Camping la Palombiere at Les Mathes near La Palmyre - www. camping-lapalombiere. com It's about 3 miles inland from the big surfing beaches of the Cote Sauvage - take bikes for miles of cycle paths through the forest, or walk from the car parks through the pine woods and over the dunes. The site has a tradiditional swimming pool, but without water slides .

Even quieter, as no swimming pool, is Camping Atlantique Foret just along the same road. www. camping-atlantique-foret. com

We can personally recommend both. Reviews for both are available on line if you Google them.

Edited by moorgate

Camping Les Combinettes at St Trojan

Camping le Tatiou, Bias, Landes

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450