Exterior Side Wall Crease On 2013 Swift Conqueror 645

kiwivan

Hi - first post and looking for some help. Located on NZ. Have a 2013 Conqueror 645 that has developed a crease between the door and the lower fridge grill. Crease commences from the upper corner of the fridge grill upwards on 45 degree angle back towards the door - 20cm long approx. Developed crease on 3rd road trip from new. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Many thanks from down under. Greg

Hi Greg

I do recall seeing a similar problem on here once before and the cause if I remember was extreme heat on the side panel, and the line of the crease appearing where the insulation panels have a joint in them, as the insulation can not be fitted in one piece. Being in New Zealand I guess that you may have had real hot weather recently. May not be much help to you, but may explain the mystery.

Harry

Hi Greg.

Out of interest, look in the Elddis section at the mysteriously locked thread 'Unusual Dent, Crack Beside Front Privacy Window' at posts 68 & 93.

Do these bear any resemblance to what you describe?

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

not one i've ever come across on a Swift product, have you got any pictures of it?

On and off, it's been an occasional problem, 'telegraphing' through the walls, usually at the points where large furniture items are fixed to the walls. They do also vary with temperature, often seen after south of france trips. I've also seen them on Lunars and Elddis.

On and off, it's been an occasional problem, 'telegraphing' through the walls, usually at the points where large furniture items are fixed to the walls. They do also vary with temperature, often seen after south of france trips. I've also seen them on Lunars and Elddis.

it didnt sound like Telegraphing from the first post, though as requested, a picture will confirm this.

Hi - first post and looking for some help. Located on NZ. Have a 2013 Conqueror 645 that has developed a crease between the door and the lower fridge grill. Crease commences from the upper corner of the fridge grill upwards on 45 degree angle back towards the door - 20cm long approx. Developed crease on 3rd road trip from new. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Many thanks from down under. Greg

Hi Greg. Are you talking about the internal boards that are covered with a very thin decorative vinyl or are you referring to the exterior of the caravan as in the other image of the three that I have attached?

post-37348-0-90384100-1389883946_thumb.jpg

post-37348-0-61863400-1389884030_thumb.jpg

post-37348-0-91129400-1389884193_thumb.jpg

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi all

Thanks for the feedback. Picked the family up yesterday from camping and have now attached the following pictures. Does this mean anything to any of you?

Again, really appreciate all your comments. Cheers Greg.

PS - yes we have had some hot weather during our current summer, on the last trip - circa 30c. Plus we had some quite strong winds whilst towing. Could the crease be caused through stress by flexing whilst towing?

PPS - struggling to see how to post pictures. .....standby

post-65445-0-37214300-1389947161_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiwivan

Hi Greg

I do recall seeing a similar problem on here once before and the cause if I remember was extreme heat on the side panel, and the line of the crease appearing where the insulation panels have a joint in them, as the insulation can not be fitted in one piece. Being in New Zealand I guess that you may have had real hot weather recently. May not be much help to you, but may explain the mystery.

Harry

Thanks Harry - yes we are in the middle of summer. See my latest post for photo. Cheers Greg

Hi Greg. Are you talking about the internal boards that are covered with a very thin decorative vinyl or are you referring to the exterior of the caravan as in the other image of the three that I have attached?

attachicon.gifFrom Samsung Galaxy S3 ( 02-11-2013 001. jpg

attachicon.gifFrom Samsung Galaxy S3 ( 02-11-2013 002. jpg

attachicon.gifThe cracked aluminium outer skin. jpg

Hi - thanks have now posted a photo and to confirm it is the exterior skin. Cheers

Greg

Another picture - a little closer.

Cheers

Greg

post-65445-0-65891700-1389948312_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiwivan

Hi kvm. If I didn't know any better I would suggest that it actually looks more like the decal has been folded Face to Face at some point before application and the warmth of the day has allowed the vinyl decal to lift at the fold/crease line.

I know that is often difficult to show an issue for what it is on an image,but is the aluminium actually raised?

It is just possible that a split/tear has developed beneath the decal but without removing the vent and exposing the edge of the aluminium skin,it is difficult to ascertain from the image.

The part right up close to the corner of the vent certainly does look like the aluminium has lifted.

Have you had an engineers 12" steel ruler across the mark? The type that is used in a joiners/cabinet makers adjustable 90* set-square/level is possibly the easiest to source.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

That looks more like a crease to me - is it possible that you've caught a low tree branch or a bush without realising it?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Hi Kiwivan - looks very similar to the problem I have on my Elddis - crease like this have appeared at corners of openings :(

gallery_49019_1500_1870131.jpg

Many on here with Explorer Caravans affected but this is the first by another manufacturer I am aware of :unsure:

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Looks like a compression flex to me.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Hi all - the crease is an inward dent/compression. There are no obvious signs that anything has come into contact with the surface to to make the indentation - the decal and paint finish are unmarked. At the point of the corner of fridge vent, the indent is distorted (kind of twisted almost).

Griff, a compression flex, what might cause this? This sounds like it might be a great way to describe the damage.

Hi Kiwivan - looks very similar to the problem I have on my Elddis - crease like this have appeared at corners of openings :(

gallery_49019_1500_1870131.jpg

Many on here with Explorer Caravans affected but this is the first by another manufacturer I am aware of :unsure:

Looks like good old stress distortion to me and there seem to be many posts over very recent years on this issue with a majority of manufactures. Elddis, Bailey, Lunar, even Hymer. Personally I think these issues are down to the body or chassis flexing and the areas around the door and windows not having enough strengthening in the structure. Always seems to be with caravans with access doors forward to the axle. Usually blamed on over loading the caravan or hitting potholes :blink:

I think it was Hymer who strengthened their walls around the door and some Adria's with doors near and forward of the axle that do not fit a front side window, presumingly for added strength in that area.

Links below

Any potholes down there !

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/18997-hymer-nova/

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/51036-crease-above-door/

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have found the above articles and the picture by Greg very interesting as the crease is exactly the same as on our Conqueror 645. At the beginning of September we travelled by ferry from St Malo to Portsmouth. There was no crease before we embarked but it was there when we left the ferry. It was not caused by a knock and our caravan dealer has intimated that it is a stress mark. We had to enter and exit the ship by a ramp so it is likely to have been caused at that time. It appears to me that this is a design fault and I intend to approach Swift for some redress. Our caravan is a March 2014 model. It is pointless buying a caravan that can not travel up and down a ramp without damage being caused surely. Even if it is cosmetic damage now, there is a possibility that when we take it abroad again further more serious flexing will occur that could result in more significant damage to the outer skin. Any further example of similar problems would be of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Further to the above posting, I am very pleased to say that Swift are to repair the crease mark under warranty. Lowdhams at Gunthorpe in Nottinghamshire have been very helpful in liaising with Swift to ensure a successful outcome.

Great result - well done swift :)

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Greg

Harry

Hi Greg i have a 2012 Sterling elite opal that has a crease above the near side bedroom window for the second time and is going back again to swift for further investigation i am not very impressed, payed a lot of money for so called elite range and had so many warranty issues goes back march next year for repairs earliest they could fit it in. I don't think they know what is causing the issue, they can't offer me a replacement van because they don't make that model anymore stopped after only 2 years in production it makes me wonder if they have got a issue with that model

The kink above the door in my Unicorn is very small, however a whole new side is going on. See here:

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/96160-wheel-detachment/page-8?do=findComment&comment=1100998

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

• 5 months later...

I have just had a exact thing happen to mine a 2011/12 swift conqueror same place just on corner of fridge grill. I thought somebody had hit it and am having it repaired under insurance and having to pay excess. NOT A HAPPY BUNNY

Kiwivan,that must be a warranty issue.

What does your dealer say?

Kiwivan,that must be a warranty issue.

What does your dealer say?

Since kiwivan was last active over a year ago, I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer.

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry: