Used Caravan Warranty

Laney16

We bought an 2009 Abbey Spectrum 540 in December from a dealer, part exing our Bailey. Part of the deal was a 12 month warranty - the sales invoice was posted to us just before Christmas and states that we have a 12 month warranty on water ingress and 12 months on appliances. I wrote to the dealer asking for clarification on what was meant by appliances and also to ask for the service history as the service book hasn't been stamped. He did tell us that the van had a full service history. this meant that the water ingress warranty from Swift Group was valid for 6 years - until June 2015.

He called me today to say that the van was not serviced in 2012 - he was led to believe by the previous owner that it had a full service history but, apparently, this is not the case. He has offered to cover the water ingress up until June 2015 but has also offered me a two year warranty if I paid a "small" contribution. This would mean that I could have the repairs done at any authorised dealer rather than have to take the van back to them - given the distance from where the van is normally stored, this would be easier. He wants me to let him know what I wish to do. He is asking for £80 towards the cost of this warranty which he says is around £180. I have looked in the web but cannot see any used caravan warranties available - does anyone have any experience of them ? We were quite happy with the 12 months that came with the van but, as we use the van at least once a month all year, perhaps an extra year's peace of mind is worth £80.

Thanks

There are many second hand insured warranties around, most are branded under dealers own names.

Sounds like a good offer under the circumstances, but a bit strange dealer didn't check continuity of warranty before buying van in?

180 to 200 sounds about right.

I would also check for ant 'terms' in this new warranty, ask to see the booklet.

I would ask the maker if you can have the warranty transferred to you and would the water ingress part be applicable too as I assume you have a damp free test from your present selling dealer and stamped up.

This would then give you another choice.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Hi David,

The water ingress warranty is from Swift Group and is transferable with ownership, but it is only valid if the van has been serviced every 12 months. So, as there is a service missing in 2012, this warranty is now void. Apparently, the previous owner told the dealer that they had had it serviced every year but they did not use it in 2012 as they were out of the country - this was also when the service was due.

The dealer has said that he will cover the water ingress to the same date - June 2015 - but has offered me a 2 year warranty to cover "everything" for 2 years from now. He wants me to contribute £80 towards the cost but I am not sure how good these aftermarket warranties are - very dubious that they might try and get out of any claim.

Ask for the T&C and look at the exclusions.

Bottom line is you would be paying £80 for a warranty on "appliances" upto Jan 2016 and water ingress upto Jan 2016 OR

Pay nothing and get warranty on "appiiances" upto Dec 14 and water ingress upto Jun 15

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

I know what youre saying, and I am the biggest cynic going.

Look at it this way;

The dealer is offering you a bet.

He offering you a bet for £80 that if something goes wrong then he will put it right.

New internal water pump - £50

New fridge thermocouple - £30

Damp around window - £££'s.

You must also apply modern monetary values as well. £80 is less than a full tank of fuel in my car. It is two meals out. It is 3 bottles of gas. It is not as much as what it used to be unfortunately.

Seeming as most dealers will charge £100 ish for a days labour, you need to weigh up the odds of the bet and if you feel that £80 will give you peace of mind.

And always read the T & Cs before buying and keep a full copy.

Personally, I would. ...

'Think you meant £100 iah for an hours labour - not a days! ;)

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Yesterday my car failed MOT rear brake pads binding so they stripped and cleaned them also headlight beam adjusted to pass so I would say an hour it was £90 total, so yes your £100 an hour 'ish is in right area.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Vehicle hourly rate I find is dependent on the type of vehicle I have paid 150 at my local Merc dealer but my Isuzu dealer charges 50.

Caravan dealers work on about 50 I find . A service cost of about 4 hours work costs about 200.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .