Hello All - Novice Bailey Caravanners With Condensation Worries

Greeting everyone. HELP! We have a Bailey Unicorn Seville 2013 2-berth.

We are both totally new to caravanning and have, since we bought the nearly new caravan last October, been limited to just a little bit of local driving and towing. But not used as yet out on site.

Obviously, weather has not been great so it has been in open storage.

We have visited twice to check, last time in mid December. But then, yesterday (3/4 weeks on), when we looked there was a lot of internal condensation. Mostly on the ceiling and in the end wash room. Some dripping down. Door to washroom was closed. Some ceiling condensation elsewhere in caravan.

Caravan is Alu-tec construction. Is this a common problem. Are we stupid and just need to use moisture traps and open all cupboard doors, etc. Don't really want to leave windows on partial vent opening.

Any help and advice would be really gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi Keith. Main thing is to ensure that the van is vented and that all the necessary vents in the caravan aren't blocked, bathroom door is open and curtains pulled across (not the blinds as this weakens the springs).

You need to get the van dry initially, as its been sweating by the sounds of it, so this would mean getting there on a dry and sunny day, and get some dry cloths, and the windows open. Get dry air blowing through it, and then you should be all fine.

If you don't dry it out, you risk getting mould, so soon like you have caught it at the right time.

You should leave some of the windows partially open to allow air to circulate. Take out all the bedding and stand the cushions on the floor and open the bed slats so air can get round. Leave the bathroom door open and leave the small window on the latch.

If you are worried about people getting in then leaving the widows partially open won't hurt. They will get in anyway if they have a mind too!

Wipe all the condenstaion away and open the window so that it dries out before you leave.

I presume you haven't got a cover on your van? If so I would take it off while this wet weather is here. I had to take mine off because of the condensation in the rooflights. The cover was so wet there was no chance it was going to dry.

Hope this helps?

John

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Agree with all above. It is not the Alu Tech construction at fault but the fact that most new caravans, and especially Bailey's with this construct, are almost draught free (except for vents) hence the condensation. Good luck with the drying out and some 'real' caravanning in the near future, and don't forget "Rallying" as it is the best and cheapest way to explore the country, make loads of like minded friends and have a marvelous amount of caravan knowledge to tap into all around you. See you in a field sometime!

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Wouldn't hurt to run the heating for a few hours to assist the drying, but ensure good ventilation. We have never seen this happen (25 years of caravan ownership) so can only assume the moisture is trapped from a source inside. Were the water pipes drained?

Wouldn't hurt to run the heating for a few hours to assist the drying, but ensure good ventilation. We have never seen this happen (25 years of caravan ownership) so can only assume the moisture is trapped from a source inside. Were the water pipes drained?

It happens when you get wet weather and extremes of temperatures. Also will happen with a soaking wet cover on too!

John

It comes down to warm dry air circulation. Your gas or electric space heating will create the dry air but at a cost. One of the reasons why many owners store the vans away over the colder months.

ANY van which is sealed will get internal condensation because we all produce moist air when we breathe.

Air circulation is the cure. Even a normal house suffers from condensation in cold weather but it is kept to a minimum with heating and odd open windows.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

In my experience Alu-tech has the least condensation/inbuilt damp problems of any 'van I've ever owned, but. ...if it's new & unused in dry weather then the naturally occurring damp content (mainly of the soft furnishings) will need extensive drying-out.
As already stated a good airing in DRY weather (if that ever happens LOL) is the best cure. If you can leave it on EHU then a mains de-humidifier will be the quickest way but in the mean time take the soft furnishings home to dry them out, if at all possible.

Failing that, & in any case, place several shallow plastic trays at low level (ex food containers are ideal) with about 15mm, or more, of salt spread in them. The more surface area the better. These will attract the water in surprising quantities & will need draining off quite regularly. The 'wet' salt can be left in place & topped-up as required.

Take no notice of 'experts' who claim this will not work, or will only extract water from the air flow passing through (perhaps it's not high-tech enough for them?). I've used this method very successfully for many years, & it costs next to nothing. In any case you’ve got nothing to loose by trying it.

My previous, conventionally-built, 'vans produced up to approx. 3/4L during the 4 winter months whereas my Alu-Tech struggles to manage 1/2l, it has produced less than 1/2 a cupful in the last 2 very wet months, & actually has a 'dry' feel to it.

Don't, under any circumstances, leave the furnishings damp as they will go mouldy & be ruined. , & never use a cover unless the ‘van is already dry.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I have already posted something about this .

We have a pegasus Rimini . I had commented that our van had a lot of condensation so we put moisture crystals in there and some salt. I know lots of people don't agree with this . But everything was steamed up.

I thought it may not be as well ventilated as our previous coachman pastiche. Everything felt damp and the windows and mirrors were steamed up. So we removed the mattresses two singles so it makes it easier and cushions from the seats and taken them home . We have also left the one window on vent . I also put blinds halfway and curtains across. I am hoping this is ok now or better.

I have already posted something about this .

We have a pegasus Rimini . I had commented that our van had a lot of condensation so we put moisture crystals in there and some salt. I know lots of people don't agree with this . But everything was steamed up.

I thought it may not be as well ventilated as our previous coachman pastiche. Everything felt damp and the windows and mirrors were steamed up. So we removed the mattresses two singles so it makes it easier and cushions from the seats and taken them home . We have also left the one window on vent . I also put blinds halfway and curtains across. I am hoping this is ok now or better.

We had a Rimini with the same problem. That's how I found out it was damp! Have a look at the floor in the front.

John

Yes we will check but due to all the posts about baileys we have been checking every time we go out to it .

We keep feeling and looking also every time it has to in to our dealer we ask him to check lockers and under trays.

It's not two years old yet. Even with 10 year warranty we still panic.

Never has any noticeable condensation in either of our Alu-tech vans when in storage. They are under breathable cover and protected from the rain but exposed to all temperature changes. Damp check on the floor (under the lino) would be a very good idea if for no other reason than putting your mind at rest.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I'm new to caravaning too. I have placed a moisture bin in with crystals from kampaAnd it works well. I also try and get up to the caravan that's in open storage every 4 weeks and open the door for half an hour to let air circulate. Hope you solve your problem.