Hello - Motor Movers

Rdw555

Hi All

I am considering a motor mover for my Lunar Delta 5-berth twin axle tourer. I have seen 2 great products.

One is the Powrtouch at £1149 and the other is the Purpleline at £649.

Both include Vat and installation and 5 years parts and labour warranty.

Both are manually applied and the use a remote control to manoeuvre.

Both are "Twin axle" models applied to one side rather than ALL wheel drive.

Has anybody had any experience of these and can you advise if it is worth paying the extra £500?

Having had a 2wd Truma on a twin axle I would not waste my money on another 2 wd.

Currently have a Powrtouch 4wd Evolution, a lot of money but well worth it.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Hi.

Currently have a Powtouch HD. As you say a bit more money but always works and has never let me down.

Dont know what Purpleline is like so can only coment on the Powrtouch.

Mike

Mondeo 2. 0 tdci 163 bhp & Rave4 tugging a Bailey Bordeaux 2004

I have a Powrtouch and I'm surprised at your price difference, mine engages and disengages by pressing the remote control.

The warranty provision is second to none highly recommended.

I'm sure prices are competitive and wonder if you are comparing like for like.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Motor movers are much the same inside made from components from the East.

Warranty and customer care is important if you have problems.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Thanks for your speedy response folks. Much appreciated. Will take on board all opinions as this would be a hefty outlay. 😀

Quote: IanV8
Having had a 2wd Truma on a twin axle I would not waste my money on another 2 wd.

Currently have a Powrtouch 4wd Evolution, a lot of money but well worth it.

Ian"

Hi Ian,

I have a twin axle with a 2wd motor mover fitted to the rear axle. I find it perfectly adequate. I have to use it to position my caravan on my driveway and that involves a 180 degree turn.

I have not had the experience of using both 2wd and 4wd on a twin, so would be very interested in reading about your comparative experience of the two systems.

I am not knocking your choice of a 4wd, but the cost and increased weight of one against the other is considerable. Could you elaborate as to why you consider the 4wd well worthwhile and the 2wd a waste of money?

Thanks.

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

I bought a Powertouch (single axle) over 8 years ago, in the 6th year I noticed that the rollers had deteriorated and material covering was missing in parts. I put this down to having loose split flint gravel on our drive. I rang Powertouch for advice and although outside the warranty they arranged for an engineer to come to my house, fit new and redesigned rollers -all free of charge! Whilst I can't vouch for the twin axle version or the price, the Powertouch has never let me down and got me out twice from a boggy site.

I have the enduro mm on the Stellar. I think its similar to the pupleline, and going by the price may be the same one

on a twin axle I don't think it would be much good. the cheaper ones also draw more current from the battery. I think the endure/purpleline one I have draws max 110amps, where as a more expensive mover draws about 80amps.

I have a 135Ah battery on the Stellar and it copes OK

Ive not put one on the Delta yet, and personally wouldn't fit the enduro - I will go for a powrtouch/truma etc and pay the extra if I ever get round to it

I have the powrtouch and fitted to my new laser twin axle and I was told by the dealer that just having one mover fitted would soon be overloaded by the weight of the van when trying to turn it. You can turn much smaller circle with two movers ( apparently) and I feel happier that I'm not putting undue stress on a single mover by it being man enough for the job. I've had powrtouch movers for 6 or 7 years and never been let down. My new ones are the new evolution auto models.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

Motor movers are much the same inside made from components from the East.

Warranty and customer care is important if you have problems.

Dave

Wrong Dave.

Some are and are assembled in the Far East. Powertouch are made and assembled in England.

Just down the road from me is a comapny called Parvalux who are "a volume supplier of OEM bespoke designed and customised motor-gearbox units to some of the largest and most successful players in the European caravan mover market." They manufacture in Bournemouth which as far as I know is not in the East even of England) . Truma use them as I suspect do Powertouch.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

2 or 4wd - depends on whether you want to make very tight turns with your t/a 'van. Powrtouch Evo II on Lunar Delta t/a and the twin on the front axle does what we want it to - pushes it backwards and forwards and moves it left to right when moving. Don't need to do 90 degree turns, each to their own.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I have the powrtouch and fitted to my new laser twin axle and I was told by the dealer that just having one mover fitted would soon be overloaded by the weight of the van when trying to turn it. You can turn much smaller circle with two movers ( apparently) and I feel happier that I'm not putting undue stress on a single mover by it being man enough for the job. I've had powrtouch movers for 6 or 7 years and never been let down. My new ones are the new evolution auto models.

A little further information on my 2wd mover on my twin axle caravan, it was fitted when the caravan was new and is now six years old and is showing no signs of wear or of giving up.

The only thing about it that may be regarded as unusual is it is fitted to the back axle alone. The idea being that it is less likely to be damaged by kerbs, speed bumps or pot holes.

The company that supplied and fitted it is Motor Mover Ltd. The model they fitted is the Motor Mover Plus, at a cost of £1,198. 00 all inclusive.

I do not believe that fitting a 2wd will overload the mover, because a number of manufacturers are supplying beefy 2wd movers for T/As and claim they are all that is needed. I tend to agree with them.

As a matter of interest my MTPLM is 1700Kg and is moved quiet easily with the 2wd mover.

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

We have a single mover on our twin axle fitted new on our 2012 van. ( Royal) The dealer assured us it was robust enough to deal with 1800kg we tow. From memory it cost £1200 fitted with 5 years warranty.

Only problem we had was it once slipped on the tyre when we were on muddy wet ground. Other than that its been ok.

Ours is fitted to the front wheels and we lower the jockey wheel at the front to lessen the strain on the rear tyres and it moves quite easily.

PS, use an inflatable jockey wheel, the plastic ones will just dig into the ground.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

Windle

The Truma that I had was fitted to a twin axle Vanmaster weighing 2200kgs.

At home it is used on flat mono block.

I need to turn through 90 degrees to get down the side of my house on the way in and again through 90 when coming out.

With the Truma I would have to take about 3 cuts to get round the 90 degrees.

I did use it on some foreign sites on grass and it just coped sometimes requiring a bit of a shove.

The 4wd Powrtouch was fitted to the same van and managed to get the van round the 90 degrees in one cut.

I sold the VM with the mover fitted and bought the same mover for my new Eterniti 2200kgs maybe a bit more.

Still as good at home and when in France this year it moved the van backwards up a steep slope and then up a grass bank at the front of the pitch.

The 2wd versions move in a stop start fashion with a lot of swaying back and forward and wear out jockey wheels very quickly, the 4wd is a lot smoother in motion.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Powertouch all the way. On my last van I tried to climb a steep incline and stripped a gearbox it was 9 years old. Talked to customer support and had a new one sent out next day. So when i bought a new van had a new Powertouch fitted not only is it a great mover but the support is excellent.

Swift Freestyle S6 TD Pulled by a Land Rover Discovery 3 or SWMBO's Freelander 2.

Wrong Dave.

Some are and are assembled in the Far East. Powertouch are made and assembled in England.

Just down the road from me is a comapny called Parvalux who are "a volume supplier of OEM bespoke designed and customised motor-gearbox units to some of the largest and most successful players in the European caravan mover market." They manufacture in Bournemouth which as far as I know is not in the East even of England) . Truma use them as I suspect do Powertouch.

poolebob

I used to design the failsafe electromagnetic brakes for Parvalux and EMD a few years ago. We also used to do alot for Fracmo along the coast near Hastings, but I believe they are now closed.

Also, reading one of the Caravan mags yesterday it had a big write up on the new top of the range Truma mover, which now also uses failsafe brakes on a DC brushless motor (no doubt German as they were our main competitor). It was a tad pricey at £2k plus

Edited by ian16527

Hi

Go with what you are happy with! What you can afford! A little tip, the Enduro2 can be upgraded to a AWD system as its a modular system so you can try the 2 drive system first and see if it works for your needs.

Powrtouch is also a very good mover, all 2 / 4WD systems works in a very similar way.

Thanks

John

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a Rhyno fitted to my single axle. British made, fitted at factory in Coventry. First impressions very good got the 'van up the slope to my drive and across the gravel. I found it on Ebay but they have their own site, rhynomovers. com. 5 Year warranty. Time will tell on reliability but I have no reason to doubt it, seemed like they took pride in the quality of their product.

Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.

The only thing about it that may be regarded as unusual is it is fitted to the back axle alone. The idea being that it is less likely to be damaged by kerbs, speed bumps or pot holes.

It would be interesting seeing it climb a kerb edge with only 2wd on the rear axle.

Ap

I have power touch AWD with auto engage, IMHO it's the only way to go.

With 2wd one wheel going over an obstacle it will reduce the grip of the other wheel, if that's the driven wheel then you trouble starts. The auto engage makes it quick, easy and convenient.

Buy cheap, buy twice, get AWD and you're in no doubt that you haven't compromised.

Ap