Winterhoff - Which Ball?

MonkeyMark

Quick one for a friend.

He's picking up his first van on Saturday and it has a winterhoff hitch. Which type of towball does he need to go with it?

Cheers, Mark

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

You don't have the bulk of the Alko head, so a standard (cleaned) ball is fine.

I must admit I found it a lot better than the Alko. I used their own Rob Stop

hitch Lock, a superb bit of kit.

just to second gumdrop, a standard type tow ball is all that is needed with a winterhoff coupling, but you can use the Al-Ko if thats what is fitted to your towcar, jim

:D:D:D:D the new solid construction 2013 elddis aspire 255 has replaced a 2008 jeep grand cherokee 3. 0 crd overland being chased by a 2011 elddis crusader super sirocco,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, after four elddis caravans it made sence to buy an aspire

Quick one for a friend.

He's picking up his first van on Saturday and it has a winterhoff hitch. Which type of towball does he need to go with it?

Cheers, Mark

WINTERHOFF fitting instructions: http://www. winterhoff. de/Bilder/WS3000-02_GB. pdf

The ball coupling WS 3000 can only be used together with coupling balls corresponding to DIN 74058 / ISO 1103 when the neck is free of fittings over a distance of 35mm Fig. 1) instead of 32 mm as per DIN 74058 / ISO 1103 )

Technically, the Winterhoff stabiliser coupling does not meet the requirements DIN 740588 of 32mm clearance below the centre line of the ball.

However, it is generally accepted that a standard ball can be used.

Alko stabilisers require 60mm clearance so a tow ball that provides enough clearance must be used

You don't have the bulk of the Alko head, so a standard (cleaned) ball is fine.

I must admit I found it a lot better than the Alko. I used their own Rob Stop

hitch Lock, a superb bit of kit.

Definately, on both counts! But using an Al-Ko ball will give more working clearnce for hitching.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

Thanks guys. He's happy now he doesn't have to worry about changing.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.