Jockey Wheel Tyre Improvement

stubean

Hi Does anybody know of a jockey wheel improvement which is better than either the solid plastic type which makes my nerves grate when running over grit, or the pneumatic type which often goes flat. I ask because [ and I know it,s a completely different use] when I had to renew the tyresto my mothers small wheeled wheel chair they were a solid but reasonably soft material which held up well on the rims when manovering. Is there a jockey wheel available in this type of material, as it would mean no punctures and a slightly wider and softer wheel to run on .

many thanks Stuart

Honda CRV 2. 2 CTDi with a Bailey Unicorn Valencia

We have got the Al-ko pneumatic one and have only blown it up once in 12 months, Excellent bit of kit and better made than the other types which do need blowing uo quite often,

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I have had both solid and pneumatic tyres after damaging the plastic hub by trying to use the mover with the jockey wheel still slightly in the shaft slots. :blush: The pneumatic tyre did lose its pressure quite often and a fellow caravanner suggested I use a sealing compound in the tyre but I sold the van before I tried that remedy and am now back with a solid tyre which is fine for me so long as I wind down the jockey wheel enough. The pneumatic jockey wheel did go over rough surfaces better but there was always the fear of a puncture with sharp stones.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

My jockey wheel is a puncture proof tyre that works the same as a pneumatic tyre but no worries of punctured. I found it worked so well I made a twin wheel version.

Pics in my gallery.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I fitted a pneumatic tyre to my caravan to help going over gravel, works really well. Got a puncture in it & bought a new tube as it was cheaper than having it repaired! I was in my dealers before I had had a chance to fit it & they had a complete new wheel & tyre assembly for about £12 so bought that, I now have a spare tube just in case.

I have read somewhere on the site that it is possible to get a solid tyre that has the same charactaristics as a pneumatic one. I did not buy one at the time, but if anyone has a link I would buy one. I have had to pump my alko pneumatic one up on various occasions. I once blew it up in direct sunlight on a hot summers day ( one of very few) I was leathering down the van at the back while talking to my mother and we heard a large pop and the van tipped forward. I think I had overdone it with the foot pump and it had exploded :lol:.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

Correctly inflated the Alko stays up fine, for me 30+p. s. i

The Clas Olson puncture proof tyre, gets mixed reviews,

there was a good write up on pros and cons on this site.

when we fitted the mover to our van the original JW was practically useless on grass -- it ploughed in and made deep furrows without going any where.

We decided to change it for the Pneumatic tyre -- but hat involved changing the whole of the bottom bracket -- as the wheel/tyre is much wider than the plastic one. This worked fine and we could now drive the van up kerbs and over grass with no problems.

We did find one small problem -- when stowing the wheel for towing you have to be very careful that it don't obstruct the hand-break in the A Frame.

We have seen people remove there JW's before setting off because they could not fit them in the space in the A Frame.

It was a good move [no pun intended] to have the new wheel. The old complete bottom bracket now sits on a shelf in the Garage. . Might put it back when we sell the van. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Thanks for your many replies, but what I had in mind was something like a neoprene type solid tyre which is soft like a pump up tyre with a tread. Does this type of product exist, if so where can you get one.

There is a Bradley Jockey wheel with a soft tyre and similar profile to a pneumatic.

Replacing the supplied tyre on an alko pneumatic with a tyre designed for invalid

carriages

My jockey wheel is a puncture proof tyre that works the same as a pneumatic tyre but no worries of punctured. I found it worked so well I made a twin wheel version.

Pics in my gallery.

Dave

Dave,

can you please quote the make & supplier.

I'd heard of these in invalid carriage contexts, but hadn't heard how they performed as a jockey, but if you like them plenty others might buy.

Do they fit in the standard forks or is it the inflable size ?

David

Swizz

I have a pneumatic tyre, as I occasionally pump it up I keep a bike pump in the front locker. I say occasionally as I put some punctureseal in it when I did my mountain bike.

I'm considering fitting an invalid carriage wheel at some point. ..when I get round to it :rolleyes:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi

Had thoughts along the same lines and located a wheel in the "Machine Mart" cat of the right sort but it turned out at 10"x 3" to be too large for us -- at the moment ( welding set here we go ! )

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Thanks for the suggestion of the Clas Olson tyre and wheel. I see that there was a discussion on the same subject with caravan talk in May last year. It seems to be the sort of wheel that I had in mind although wish it was in black. It does need looking into further e. g. size, weight capacity, and bore size of hub bolt.

The Clas olson tyre can be pulled off the rim in some circumstances.

Then fitted onto the Al-Co hub perhaps ?

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Then fitted onto the Al-Co hub perhaps ?

david

No, it resulted in the tyre being stretched and useless,

"if" I remember correctly

There is a solid one which is similar dimensions to the pneumatic, some kind of compromise?

I also want a solid type that has the charactristics of an inflatable one. Someone listed on here last year where they had bought one on e-bay but I can't find it . If anyone does have the details, please post them as it looks like a few of us need one. :D

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

The problem with solid ones -- however large etc -- they don't seem to ride over things as well as the air filled ones -- making it difficult - if you have a mover - on grass -- we found that they just ploughed into the first bump in the grass.

We pump ours up at the same time as we check the tyres on the caravan -- before each trip.

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Have you looked at solid mobility scooter tyres - you might be able to get one the same size as your jockey wheel. I don't know what size tyres a jockey wheel is as I've never had a problem with the standard jockey wheel on my van. even on gravel

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning